Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 2:28 pm

autisticelders wrote:
In many cultures making eye contact is considered insulting or offensive. I was raised NOT to make eye contact with older people, social superiors, authorities, etc. and punished and corrected if I did! Like many other parts of life, eye contact is something some societies welcome and others avoid. Testing to see if we "do it right" in the societies where eye contact is encouraged is the height of absurdity. Your opinions might vary.

Egad! You seem to be right:
ToughDiamond wrote:
I once tried looking at my boss' face while talking with her, but it seemed to make her more aggressive towards me. It might have been a cultural thing - she was Malaysian.

Sure enough, I just found this:
https://www.coursehero.com/file/p688nij ... ting-with/
Before today I thought my explanation was sheer conjecture. Now my theory has become a tad more grounded in evidence.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 2:46 pm

FYI

Here is the actual scientific publication (the one that OP referenced was a press release) and other publications by the same author.

loop.frontiersin.org - people - Joy Hirsch - 176 Publications

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2023, 9:18 am

May explain why I basically can't socially interact anymore when making eye contact. A part of the brain just stops its activity or so, while at the same time I'm more stressed. And my capability for verbal social interaction is already very limited.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 9:21 am

Google
three stooges eye-poke
for additional eye-contact research. :)