First death sentence carried out against openly trans person

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 1:32 am

Missouri puts Amber McLaughlin to death, the first openly transgender person executed in US

Quote:
A woman inmate in Missouri died by lethal injection Tuesday, becoming the first openly transgender person executed in the United States.

Amber McLaughlin’s fate was sealed earlier Tuesday when Missouri Gov. Mike Parson declined a clemency request. McLaughlin spoke quietly with a spiritual adviser at her side as the fatal dose of pentobarbital was injected.

McLaughlin breathed heavily a couple of times, then shut her eyes. She was pronounced dead a few minutes later.

“I am sorry for what I did,” McLaughlin said in a final written statement. “I am a loving and caring person.”

McLaughlin, 49, was convicted of killing 45-year-old Beverly Guenther on Nov. 20, 2003. Guenther, McLaughlin's former girlfriend, was raped and stabbed to death in St. Louis County. A judge sentenced McLaughlin to death for the murder in 2006 after a jury was deadlocked on her sentence.

McLaughlin was one of the few women who have been scheduled for execution since the practice was reinstated in the U.S. in the 1970s. Of the 2,414 people on death row nationwide as of April 1, 2022, 50 were women, according to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund. There are no known previous cases in which an openly transgender person was executed, according to the anti-execution Death Penalty Information Center.

A clemency petition filed to Parson on Dec. 12 by McLaughlin's attorneys requested a sentence of life without parole in place of a death sentence. The document cites chronic trauma McLaughlin experienced in childhood, including brain damage from fetal alcohol exposure, traumatic brain injuries as a child, abuse she suffered – including tasing and beating – at her adoptive home, and her diagnosed depression and suicide attempts as reasons for clemency.

Evidence regarding McLaughlin's mental health and childhood abuse was not presented at her original trial in 2006, according to the petition.

In a statement referring to McLaughlin by her name and gender identity before she transitioned, Parson confirmed the State of Missouri will carry out the death penalty sentence.

"Ms. Guenther's family and loved ones deserve peace," Parson said. "The State of Missouri will carry out McLaughlin’s sentence according to the Court's order and deliver justice."

McLaughlin began stalking Guenther at her St. Louis workplace after the couple separated, sometimes hiding inside the building, according to court records. Guenther obtained a restraining order as a result.

On Nov. 20, 2003, Guenther's neighbors called the police when she failed to return home, and police officers discovered a broken knife handle and a trail of blood near her car at the office building. The next day, McLaughlin led police to where Guenther's body had been discarded.

A court in 2016 ordered a new sentencing hearing following the presentation of the evidence of McLaughlin's mental health, but a federal appeals court panel reinstated the death penalty in 2021. Missouri is one of only two states, alongside Indiana, that allows a judge to issue a death sentence rather than a jury. 

McLaughlin began transitioning about three years ago, according to Jessica Hicklin, a formerly incarcerated mentor of McLaughlin's.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 1:44 am

" There are no known previous cases in which an openly transgender person was executed, according to the anti-execution Death Penalty Information Center."

I know they mean in prison by the government, but still, wtf.. trans people get executed all the time - it's called murder and they're victims at far higher rates than the general population.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 1:53 am

goldfish21 wrote:
" There are no known previous cases in which an openly transgender person was executed, according to the anti-execution Death Penalty Information Center."

I know they mean in prison by the government, but still, wtf.. trans people get executed all the time - it's called murder and they're victims at far higher rates than the general population.

That is why I put "Death Sentence" in the headline

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 6:04 am

I was under the impression that a convicted murderer was executed. :scratch:

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 6:45 am

I'm not sure how gender is relevant here ?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 6:48 am

DanielW wrote:

Agreed.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 8:16 am

DanielW wrote:

It's the 2020's!! ! We can't pass on an opportunity for yet another "Neil Armstronging" story.
:roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 8:50 am

A murderer is a murderer is a murderer....no matter how one slices it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 9:32 am

i'd prefer life sentence sans parole. our prisons are not pleasant places.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 9:36 am

Regardless of where one stands on the issue of the death penalty, I don't believe that the prisoner being a transgender should have any baring on their sentence. If they commited murder then they deserve to be put in prison like anyone else would be.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 10:11 am

Like it or not a first of anything is newsworthy.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 10:19 am

She wasn’t a very nice person.Sorry for her victim.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 10:28 am

Misslizard wrote:
She wasn’t a very nice person.Sorry for her victim.

I agree

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2023, 10:32 am

How can a woman rape and stab someone to death? 8O *confused*

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 10:42 am

MissMary227 wrote:

It's pretty sexist to assume that women arent capable of either imho.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2023, 10:44 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:

It's pretty sexist to assume that women arent capable of either imho.

I know there are female killers. But I don't understand how one could rape and stab another person to death? I am a woman and I guess I could rape a child and stab them, but otherwise a grown woman (unless disabled) would be able to fight me off. Plus how does a woman rape another woman? :scratch: