Can't get myself to go out on my days off work

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 9:36 am

I feel when I have days off work, a part of me wants to stay at home and indulge in some hobbies at home such as trying to concentrate on my projects on writing a book. But it feels as though its made out to be bad if I am not always going out on the days that I am off work. It's coming across by some people as though they are worried that I'm turning into a hermit, but I don't want to become a recluse, I like going out, looking around the shops and stuff. As much as I enjoy doing things at home, it feels as though I'm wasting my time or missing out by not always going out on the days off work, I seem to find myself wanting to look around the shops and places after having a short shift at work but on my days off I can't seem to get myself motivated to do the same when I am not working.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 9:53 am

I'm exactly the same. I had all Christmas off work and I hardly did much but then felt guilty because I didn't do much. But it was so nice to not have to think for a few days and to forget that I'm a citizen of this screwed up society.

I have every weekend off but I'm always in two minds of what to do with my weekends. If I do stuff I feel I haven't had much time to do nothing and then it's back to work on Monday, and if I don't do anything then I feel like I've wasted the weekend and it's back to work on Monday.

I need more holiday days but I'm only given about 4 weeks a year, although it feels less. It's not work I get stressed with, it's the monotony of routine. ADHD and monotonous routine do not mix.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 10:05 am

I get these feelings sometimes even when I AM out, going around the shops, looking forward to be back home and doing the things I like doing at home.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 10:14 am

If your book sells, you won't have these regrets.....

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 12:42 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I get these feelings sometimes even when I AM out, going around the shops, looking forward to be back home and doing the things I like doing at home.

Yes, that's exactly how I feel when I'm out. I just want to be in my home where I'm safe and can do what I like and sleep. I live for my naps, even if I haven't been out anywhere I still must take a nap. It's a way of meditating for me, although it has become a bit of an addiction.
I hate when people advise me to go out for a walk instead of having a nap. That just won't work on me. Going out for a walk means facing people and society, and the whole point of having a nap is to escape from reality. Just being outside can make me feel anxious because of the openness and exposure and everything. Being indoors means nobody can see me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 12:46 pm

My mother is on her last legs.

This makes me realize that I can’t spend my life napping like I’ve been doing.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 1:09 am

chris1989 wrote:
I feel when I have days off work, a part of me wants to stay at home and indulge in some hobbies at home such as trying to concentrate on my projects on writing a book. But it feels as though its made out to be bad if I am not always going out on the days that I am off work. It's coming across by some people as though they are worried that I'm turning into a hermit, but I don't want to become a recluse, I like going out, looking around the shops and stuff. As much as I enjoy doing things at home, it feels as though I'm wasting my time or missing out by not always going out on the days off work, I seem to find myself wanting to look around the shops and places after having a short shift at work but on my days off I can't seem to get myself motivated to do the same when I am not working.

I see no reason to push yourself to go out every single damned day. If you choose go out just once per week after work, that's fine.

Doesn't make you a "hermit." (You'd be a "hermit" if you didn't go out AT ALL.)

I agree that it's hard to get stuff done at home on days when you are also going out. So, feel free to stay home on most of your days off.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 2:01 am

we all have a finite supply of spoons [energy packets] that we regularly have to refill. it is common for those in the rat race [hafta work for a living] that we run outta spoons and have to recharge them on our days-off, so it is really abnormal to be able to have enough extra spoons to socialize on the off-days. but not so unusual for NTs.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 2:13 am

I don’t mean to joke, but I can’t seem to go out on my years off work.

Decades even.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 6:54 am

Have you considered the joys of staying home and doing something relaxing?

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jan 2023, 7:35 am

We are human beings, not human doings.

What advantage is there to looking at shops if you don’t need anything? Fine if it brings you joy, but the shops are setup to make you want things you don’t need and didn’t even want. Now you are either dissatisfied with your lot, or you have spent money on something that probably won’t improve your life in anyway.

If you must go out, try a museum or library or or zoo or park even a show or a meal. Walk with a friend.

Stay home! Read a book, work on a project, enjoy your life. It belongs to you.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 6:37 pm

There is nothing wrong with staying at home

Besides, coronavirus

Before coronavirus I used to go out a lot more than I do now. Besides I had no job back then

Now I am too exhausted to go around wasting time energy and cash

My house has internet, grub, litterbox. It is not as dangerous as some locations. I can lie down whenever I want and that is a good thing

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2023, 6:25 am

I always try to stay home on my days off work. I don't take them off to be forced away from where all my favorite stuff is. The best days are those when the whole day stretches ahead with no mandatory or scheduled tasks, and I can indulge in my hobbies (which are all home-based).