How do any of you handle pms or crying meltdowns?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2023, 5:18 pm

My parents are going to Mexico for a vacation and they are going on Monday night. My mom will be back on January 23rd and My dad will be back by late March. My sister and brother in law will be looking after me until my mom comes on the 23rd which is 2 weeks. I've been extremely stressed lately and I think because my mom is going away, I have missed my period lately and have had a few crying meltdowns and my mom doesn't like it when I act that way. I do care about my folks going on a vacation but I would like my period to start and the pms to stop. I'm turning 39 in 2 months which is pretty close to 40 and I even mentioned to my mom about me staying at a psych ward aka mental health hospital but she and I both know that isn't an option for when she's away. How would any of you handle this situation? 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 9:13 pm

When my mum went away to America for a holiday I felt apprehensive. So I know how you feel.

Why have you missed your period? Are your periods irregular, or do they get affected when you're under stress?

I'm on the contraceptive pill so my periods are regular but I still get tearful. But I get random bouts of depression which I don't think is related to hormones, as sometimes I get tearful a week or two after my period.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 9:44 pm

It might sound stupid...but like try and make things comfortable. Like have a comfy blanket you can get cozy in, watch some movies or shows or even youtube stuff you like and/or play video games if you like any or read a book just anything that is a low effort pleasant activity. And drink some chamomile tea, it's nice and comforting.

Idk basically try and surround yourself with comfort items and activities that can help keep your mind off some of the worrying or whatever.

Also if you are having cramps you can try taking an asprin or tylenol to help that a bit, or there is that midol or off brands that have tylenol, caffine and an anti-histimine which can help that part. Idk I feel like a lot of my PMS is simply due to my insides hurting during that time of the month(like who wouldn't be in a bad mood from their body giving them pain?) so things to relieve that pain do lessen it.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 8:30 pm

My BFF supports me when my DH (dear husband) is away and my DH supports me when my BFF is away... yep, it tends to be messy when both are away and I PMS, so I have to have a back up plan and **USE IT**. Like pp says: your comfort items, tertiary people, comfort foods, comfort music, EFT, tools --- bring it all out. Write a list, go through it. You are allowed to indulge yourself in extenuating circumstances like these. Self-compassion.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 9:22 pm

Calcium and Magnesium

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2023, 11:23 pm

I'm not sure why I've missed my period it could be due to stress I will start taking some pills to regulate my period once it starts

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 6:33 am

Did you lose weight or haven't been eating well for a while? I found that my body is extremely sensitive and require nutrient-dense diet to maintain regular period. So many ladies I know have messed up periods. Being on the pill is probably not the best solution. Getting healthier and eating well would be the best option.

Of course your parents are back now and you must be all right again. I didn't notice the date. :D I hope they had a great vacation. I don't know if you have depression or not but it's not unusual for women to take anti-depressant to control PMDD.