Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 6:19 pm

So maybe I should start thinking about doing a job where I can work from home. I looked up different things you can do from home (as in at home but for a company, not self-employed or having to go out to people's houses) but it's mostly accountant jobs, and I find that sort of stuff hard, or telesales jobs, which I don't agree with.
Also I don't think my home is the right environment to do business work, as we have an unreliable internet connection and the place is cluttered and the neighbours are noisy. And I find it hard to get myself motivated or sit still and focus. It's easier to stay on task when you're in the workplace.

I don't know. What do you think I should do? I've had enough of being spoken to like s**t at any workplace I go to. I'm one of those people who is a glorified punchbag for insecure people to take their issues out on and I am unable to deal with it without a whirlwind of emotions and severe bouts of depression and panic attacks. Working from home might be the best solution for a person like me who's too sensitive for people, but which home job to do?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 12:55 pm

Quote:
I'm one of those people who is a glorified punchbag for insecure people to take their issues out on and I am unable to deal with it without a whirlwind of emotions and severe bouts of depression and panic attacks.

Yeah I've had times like that, but seem to be out of it, I moved house and am now ok.

I went on spareroom.co.uk and just found somewhere that accepts benefits.
It took a while to find such a place though.
As for working from home, beware of the scams out there. Don't hand over any money to any potential employers.

On the job websites I've seen phone work from home but that's it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 3:28 am

One of the common work from home jobs I've seen is customer service for one of the large cell phone companies here. Maybe they have jobs like that where you are? Calls get routed to you to handle, solve problems, make changes to account features/billing etc vs. cold calling sales jobs/telemarketing/soliciting donations for charities.

There are probably other customer service and tech support type jobs people can get and work from home.

I know someone that works for Canada Revenue - home 3 or 4 days a week and in office only 1 day a week I think. I also read that our large auto insurance company, ICBC, has a lot of people that permanently work from home now so they don't need as much office space. There could be government jobs like that where you live that can be done from home now.

But I'm not that suited to work from home permanently. Going somewhere and doing a thing and coming back = more productivity for sure, especially for physical work.

Cluttered/noisy neighbours.. might have to move to be able to focus and do a wfh job.