When Will We See Positive News Reported?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 4:42 am

Is all stuck in gloom and doom. Is like they have forgotton how to report positive things somehow?
One has the feeling that one would assume that they only report on stuff that will make them money! What a perverted way to live!

We need to hear good things again. Does not mean we don't hear the bad but we need a balance and there should nevef be reporting on what "Might" happen if we don't do this or that. There is a word for that kind of reporting! PROPOGANDA!

Lets get back to non-manipulative proper unbiassed news that gives a balanced review. Lets reward those who do that as well to show them how much we appreciate them!
It will change how news is aired for sure!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 4:57 am

There's plenty of good news stories within the broadsheets. It's just they don't make the headlines.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2023, 5:02 am

^^^

Never going to happen. The few journalists that I know will tell you good news never sells. Gloom and doom on the front page is what sells to the eyes of the newspapers and the electronic media.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 5:04 am

^^^ Good news as headlines....yes, it doesn't provide good clikbait

But there's plenty of good news stuff....cats rescued, brave firefighters, royalty/celebrities doing their tour of duty at a charity soup kitchen, brace girl survived cancer etc etc....

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 5:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
^^^ Good news as headlines....yes, it doesn't provide good clikbait

But there's plenty of good news stuff....cats rescued, brave firefighters, royalty/celebrities doing their tour of duty at a charity soup kitchen, brace girl survived cancer etc etc....

You left out the c-word. The coronation. I’m looking through my diary and arranging to be in Spain when that lot kicks off. I expect Harry will be drowned in a butt of Malmsey before then, to save the embarrassment.

By the way, anyone ever tried Malmsey? Awesome stuff.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 6:01 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Is all stuck in gloom and doom. Is like they have forgotton how to report positive things somehow?
One has the feeling that one would assume that they only report on stuff that will make them money! What a perverted way to live!

We need to hear good things again. Does not mean we don't hear the bad but we need a balance and there should nevef be reporting on what "Might" happen if we don't do this or that. There is a word for that kind of reporting! PROPOGANDA!

Lets get back to non-manipulative proper unbiassed news that gives a balanced review. Lets reward those who do that as well to show them how much we appreciate them!
It will change how news is aired for sure!

"Report good news...AGAIN"??????

There NEVER was an era in which they ever "reported good news".

"If it bleeds it leads" (if its bad it goes on the front page).

you're talking nonsense.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 9:15 am

Yeah I agree, Bad News and Fake News has been around for as long as human civilization has existed.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 9:35 am

The problem is that problems sell. There's lots of good things happening, but the sensationalist bad news is what you see on the front page. Yeah, it can get us down.

When bad things happen remember Mr Rogers said: look for the helpers. You will always see people who are helping.

Here's a link to a site that tries to find good stories to spread

Upworthy

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2023, 9:42 am

hurtloam wrote:
The problem is that problems sell. There's lots of good things happening, but the sensationalist bad news is what you see on the front page. Yeah, it can get us down.

When bad things happen remember Mr Rogers said: look for the helpers. You will always see people who are helping.

Here's a link to a site that tries to find good stories to spread

Upworthy

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Oh my. I think he was kind-of my surrogate parent. Anyone else feel the same? And he did those reality clips of factories way before that was even a thing. I feel like him today when i come home from work and doff and don my home attire. And how about that lovely cabled cardigan? :) I didn't really like it when he used that falsetto voice for Miss Kitty lol or the train track pretending sessions, but I liked watching and listening to him talking--it was like asmr for me? I suppose I soaked up the messages in the pretend-play but I consciously liked him for who he was and his aura more than what he did or taught. So gentle, so kind, so loving. May he rest in peace in heaven. <3

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 10:06 am

I only discovered him a few years ago. His show wasn't on the free TV channels in the UK when I was growing up. I would have totally loved him.

It was this article that introduced me to him. He really made an effort to make big ideas understandable and non-scary for children.

Mister Rogers Had a Simple Set of Rules for Talking to Children

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 10:16 am

I think that the way the new is reported has changed rather than the actual news, especially in America. There's a lot of opinions and shouting in place of what should be a reporting of facts.

I've been watching old news reports on YouTube recently because I've been learning about the Pam Am 103 bombing over Lockerbie. Very measured reporting from the news anchors.

The big downside of looking at the past was how they treated the relatives of the dead. They were intrusive. Even the service at Syracuse University set up for grieving people to go to was filmed as people sat there coming to terms with the news.

The reporters milling around JFK airport looking for something to film and shoving their cameras in the face of a screaming woman who discovered her daughter had been on the flight. She said she couldn't get up because suddenly everyone crowded round her.

The vultures interviewing residents of Lockerbie asking them stupid questions when they were full of shock.

The media was bad in the past too

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 10:28 am

We DO live in 'interesting times'. We have more crises going on at the moment than we had in recent previous decades.

There was more bad news in the papers in 1941, when the Axis powers were winning on every front in WWII, then there was in the year 1947- two years after the allies had won the war- and when journalists had 'slow news days', and had to hype up things like...a pilot seeing saucer shaped objects in the sky over Idaho (kicking off the subsequent decades of 'flying saucer' sightings). That was the same year some journalist hyped up stories about ship disappearances, and created the whole "Bermuda Triangle" nonsense.

Similarly- today- we have covid, and Ukraine, and election denial, and the food/energy disruptions caused by...covid and Ukraine, and saber rattling in the south china sea, and Nork nukes, and stuff you didnt have ten years ago. Real crises. No need to hype anything.

Though there is less news about Islamic Jihadism then there was ten years ago. But even that probably has more to do the Islamic world being divided against self along pro-Saudi, and pro-Iran, lines then because the fervor has diminished.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 10:42 am

It ebbs and flows.

I think in previous decades the news wasn't as personal. I suppose as a kid the news didn't seem to affect me anyway. The strikes and the bombings were elsewhere. If had lived in mining towns during the miners strikes I would have been affected, but I was far away and I didn't appreciate it. London got bombed a lot by the IRA, but it was far away. The war in Yugoslavia in the early 90s didn't seem to have knock on effects like the war in Ukraine has.

But I feel like everyone is affected now. There are strikes every few months at the organisation I work for and in the services I use. The energy crisis is affecting my bills. And so on.

But then everyone was affected by the World Wars, so swings and roundabouts. Gotta be thrifty like my Grandparents during the war. Its hard to get a perspective.

I try and get my news from a few different sources to keep balanced. Avoid the sensationalist outlets. They make themselves well know for what they are.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2023, 10:47 am

News?

Oh!! You mean the propaganda put out by the media arm of the Democrat Party?

I haven't listened to news since the 'election'. Unless it's the Epoch Times or filtered through another source I trust. The only exception I make is when I am doing specific research. Or if I am trying to catch up on what's happening in Afghanistan. But then it's usually the BBC or Al Jazeera or a Christian Network for that.

As far as headlines, I take those with a grain of salt.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 11:03 am

MissMary227 wrote:
News?

Oh!! You mean the propaganda put out by the media arm of the Democrat Party?

And the Republican party too.

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 1:49 pm

Positive news: Trump has quit politics or died. Whoopee! :D