"if guns are outlawed only violent criminals will have guns.

Page 4 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 8:23 am

Dillogic wrote:
Radish wrote:
I prefer a peaceful non-violent life... .

Yeah.

Sadly, violence can find you no matter how peaceful you are, how much you try to avoid it.

True, but no point living in fear of things that will likely never happen. I'm far more likely to suffer harm from a car accident, tripping over a wonky paving slab, or falling off a ladder than from an armed intruder. Especially in the UK where there are very few guns around.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 12:32 pm

Am sad to write this as a fact in the USA but as a widowed woman , disabled in several ways .And been repeatedly victimized by burglary almost ongoing weekly were i lived before , Having my husband murdered in a house that was being defrauded from us with no help from local Sheriffs ( very much appearing they were in on it). Forced to leave the property by a corrupt DA friends of the father of the people burglurizing us .
Had originally purchased the property to be away from people , but cheap land over thirty years. Brought the worst neighbours possible to the immediate property around us . And the bad ones brought their relatives to buy land around us . So you might see a need for a gun for a person in my shoes , living were i have . So am regrettably
pro second amendment in this country . Now living in the city , i see the same type of activity brewing just under the surface here . And Now noone wants the police job . And the ones they have are not inclined to show up unless there is a dead body ,( it appears) . The USA is not what it appears and not exactly sure , why people would immigrate here either.. It must be awefully bad where they come from. Getting a nourishing quality of food is hard here .
Nice water and electric are available though . Few US citizens seem to actually like their jobs ?? And do little or nothing on their jobs and frown on others thst do ..Am sure this is just my experience here :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 12:58 pm

Jakki wrote:
Am sad to write this as a fact in the USA but as a widowed woman , disabled in several ways .And been repeatedly victimized by burglary almost ongoing weekly were i lived before , Having my husband murdered in a house that was being defrauded from us with no help from local Sheriffs ( very much appearing they were in on it). Forced to leave the property by a corrupt DA friends of the father of the people burglurizing us .
Had originally purchased the property to be away from people , but cheap land over thirty years. Brought the worst neighbours possible to the immediate property around us . And the bad ones brought their relatives to buy land around us . So you might see a need for a gun for a person in my shoes , living were i have . So am regrettably
pro second amendment in this country . Now living in the city , i see the same type of activity brewing just under the surface here . And Now noone wants the police job . And the ones they have are not inclined to show up unless there is a dead body ,( it appears) . The USA is not what it appears and not exactly sure , why people would immigrate here either.. It must be awefully bad where they come from. Getting a nourishing quality of food is hard here .
Nice water and electric are available though . Few US citizens seem to actually like their jobs ?? And do little or nothing on their jobs and frown on others thst do ..Am sure this is just my experience here :roll:

Perception is reality.. obviously your lived experience shapes your view of your country.

However, it is a big country and there is an immense range of quality of lives lived. Highly educated professionals with high salaries and optimal healthcare plans can live a rather nice life of luxury in the USA.

If you've lived a life surrounded by poverty, that's what you see and know. That's what your friends/neighbours/peers know etc. Whereas someone else could live a rather enriched life full of good experiences and abundance, never skipping a meal, always having all the nutrition they need and then some etc.

There's a similar divide here in Canada - another large country with a big range of incomes. I think it's less drastic here, as the high income earners I don't think are nearly as wealthy as the high income earners in the USA, but we have quite a divide, too. Even right here locally never mind across the country.. I'm blessed to rent in my parents' mortgage free home that's currently valued at something stupid like $1.7M. With a regular income and no dependants, I have savings, 3 paid for vehicles until I sell one, eat well etc - I've come a far way from being $110k in debt and bankrupt a decade ago. Yet there are children that go to school without breakfast, plenty of homeless people - more and more living in cars or encampments in forests due to the housing crisis here. Plenty of hard working people working more than full time that simply can't scrape together enough money to feed their kids after paying exorbitantly expensive rents. People like my friend that told me my parents house is the Nicest house he's ever been in. (It is nice, but I've been in/worked on Billionaire's mansions in the Big $$$ neighbourhoods.)

Even within the same city & suburbs, people have dramatically different means, different upbringings, different ideas of wealth, different perspectives. If someone asked ME what I thought about them immigrating to Canada I'd tell them housing is expensive but yeah do it, it's safe, stable, beautiful, and if you work your ass off you can live a good life. Someone else who lives in poverty here and has never gotten out of it via getting themselves healthy and putting in the work might say they don't recommend it at all because life is a daily struggle to maintain shelter over your head and get enough to eat.

I think a whole lot of these things, perspectives, lives lived, wealth earned, opportunities seen or not seen etc are going to come down to peoples' mindsets. Having changed mine from horribly negative a decade ago to reasonably balanced more recently via general health, I believe this is key to our experiences all around.

Where I live I'm pretty safe, but from the stories I've heard about rapes and murders in the roughest area downtown, I understand why so many people who live that life might have some kind of weapon on them - maybe a baton, maybe a knife. Almost never a gun, though - they're kind of hard to come by and the realm of violent gangsters vs. for personal safety. Otherwise they might be owned by legal gun owners, locked in a gun safe and used for hunting or taken to a range - but they're also few and far between as we simply don't have a big gun culture here.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jan 2023, 1:37 pm

In the western days lots of people carried guns but unlike what the movies & video-games depicted, there were not a lot of shootouts & duels.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 1:38 pm

Jakki wrote:
So you might see a need for a gun for a person in my shoes , living were i have

Yes indeed, if you live in what sounds like a war zone, best be prepared. Thankfully here in the UK it isn't necessary.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 1:47 pm

Radish wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Yes indeed, if you live in what sounds like a war zone, best be prepared. Thankfully here in the UK it isn't necessary.

Trying to make lighter of my situation ??? if that can be done .
Will invest in a slightly Used but well maintained Army Tank to go about my life in ???.
preferably a. good old classic . from WW2 era ,, a Sherman or a German Panzer or Tiger tank ... :ninja: :jester: :ninja: but will decorate it in a very festive mood ... :mrgreen: Christmas lights .Good quality Sound system :jester:
Diamond Tuck interior , And a retractable beach umbrella . Confetti cannon shells ? :D :D :D :D :jester:

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 1:51 pm

Radish wrote:
Jakki wrote:

In the UK you have been pacified by your aristocracy since the middle ages. You are basically upgraded serfs. The Americans gained their freedom by taking up arms against that aristocracy. That's why they celebrate gun ownership to this day.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jan 2023, 1:53 pm

Radish wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Plenty of people have died during war regardless of how well armed they were or not.
There's plenty of armed people in the US who got shot & killed by criminals or police despite the fact they were armed.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 1:57 pm

Dengashinobi wrote:
Radish wrote:
Jakki wrote:

In the UK you have been pacified by your aristocracy since the middle ages. You are basically upgraded serfs. The Americans gained their freedom by taking up arms against that aristocracy. That's why they celebrate gun ownership to this day.

:lol:

Americans are not nearly as free as they're led to believe they are.

All kinds of restrictive and prohibitive laws on the books, a zillion different things people can't do without getting permission from some level of government or another.. hunting, fishing, planting food, building structures, selling goods or services etc etc etc. Pretty highly regulated society for "free," people. (Similar in Canada.)

Being told that we're "free," is a wonderfully effective marketing campaign by our respective governments, though. I'll give them that much. Such a good job they've done incorporating those lyrics into the special corporate songs, too.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 2:01 pm

^^^^ AND the WINNING post is ^^^^......... :mrgreen:

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 2:24 pm

Goldfish21 makes a lot of winning posts. :wink:

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 2:30 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
Radish wrote:
Jakki wrote:

All kinds of restrictive and prohibitive laws on the books, a zillion different things people can't do without getting permission from some level of government or another.. hunting, fishing, planting food, building structures, selling goods or services etc etc etc. Pretty highly regulated society for "free," people. (Similar in Canada.)

Being told that we're "free," is a wonderfully effective marketing campaign by our respective governments, though. I'll give them that much. Such a good job they've done incorporating those lyrics into the special corporate songs, too.

I don't particularly disagree with you there. This is a sad truth. This is what liberals have done to this great country. It's still the greatest country in the world though and I'm positive there is still hope for a deregulated future.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Jan 2023, 2:38 pm

That "freedom" talk was probably worth something 240 years ago.
Unless you were Black. In this case, it wasn't.

To be frank: there was a substantial difference in freedoms on either side of the Iron Curtain. For that, I have both hard and anecdotal data. However, in case no one noticed it, Iron Curtain wasn't located in the middle of Atlantic. In particular, US and UK were on the same side of it.

It's funny to hear claims that are generations behind the reality.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2023, 2:40 pm

I once recently heard this commercial about concealed permits on guns on the radio. It went like this "sure it happens, but it'll never happen to me. Bang!" "sure it happens, but it'll never happen to me. Bang!" "Sure it happens, but it'll never happen to me. Bang!" "Sure it happens but it'll never happen to me. Bang!" "said a bunch of people."

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Jan 2023, 2:46 pm

Sonic200 wrote:
I once recently heard this commercial about concealed permits on guns on the radio. It went like this "sure it happens, but it'll never happen to me. Bang!" "sure it happens, but it'll never happen to me. Bang!" "Sure it happens, but it'll never happen to me. Bang!" "Sure it happens but it'll never happen to me. Bang!" "said a bunch of people."
If life was really looking like this, it would be considered an issue of terrorism.

Unless your country is all about getting used to terrorism :chin: The fundamental freedom to terrorise your neighbours for any cause or without it?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 2:53 pm

Dengashinobi wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
Radish wrote:
Jakki wrote:

I don't particularly disagree with you there. This is a sad truth. This is what liberals have done to this great country. It's still the greatest country in the world though and I'm positive there is still hope for a deregulated future.

You're half way there. You'll get the rest of the way when you accept that Both major political parties are responsible for all of this nonsense and that one of them getting you to point fingers at the other one is just part of their divide and conquer ruling strategy.