Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Elisabeth Anne Evans
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2023, 3:06 pm

I joined the forum today. At 75, I am probably one of the older members. I hesitate to get a formal diagnosis.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 3:23 pm

Hello.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 3:25 pm

Welcome to WP :)

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 4:39 pm

Welcome. There are at least a couple of other members I can think of in their seventies.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 4:42 pm

Elisabeth Anne Evans wrote:
I hesitate to get a formal diagnosis.

Why the hesitation?

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 7:27 pm

Hello and welcome :)

As has been mentioned, there are members here in their 70s. I'm not personally (gen x-er here), but there are some, and there are even more who are not younger 20-30somethings. We run the spectrum here as far as age is concerned.

I don't much blame you for not being eager to get a formal dx. I did, but that was years ago and not only was the validation important to me at the time, but so was knowing what was going on so I could learn coping skills that would be relevant. These days, I wouldn't bother with it. I could just as easily look online and find help to try to learn coping skills and such. Validation is irrelevant to me now. I know some seek a dx for help with accommodations for work or school, but those things are also irrelevant to me now as well. For me now, it would be a huge hassle and zero benefit. I guess it just depends on how the cost v/s benefits play out for you. I can understand both sides and why people choose what they do. But who knows, those may not be your reasons to not pursue one. I'm also a bit curious as to why you are hesitant. If you care to fill us in more, please do. If not, I very much respect that.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your time here. I'm not the most active poster, but in my experience, the people here are a decent lot and I hope you can come to feel the same. Welcome again.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 4:01 pm

welcome right behind you at age 71, diagnosed at age 68, lots to sort. Glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 4:23 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. Plenty of us here in our 60s. I agree a formal diagnosis is not useful if you feel you have always belonged here. I am also self-diagnosed and have been since 1978 at age 20.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 4:29 pm

OK, I'm a youngster...

I was diagnosed shortly before my 65th birthday and now I am a mere 68. :roll:

Having made it that far without a diagnosis I was not looking for any practical benefits from a diagnosis. I was looking to better understand myself. I had long felt like I was "different" but I had no idea what it was, or even if it was just my imagination. Then when I was 64 some minor thing motivated me to read about Autism and it fit! My bride and I both thought I fit the descriptions of Autism. The AQ test then persuaded me that we might be right.

But my symptoms are mild. I didn't know if I was almost Autistic or barely Autistic, and I wanted to know. So I got a formal Adult Autism Assessment. Result: now I can say with confidence that I am on the Autism Spectrum without adding "I think".

If my symptoms had been stronger I might not have felt the need for a formal assessment.

And it is a good thing I wasn't looking for practical benefits! So far, there is only one: When my bride bumps up against one of my Autism traits I get to say "I have a doctor's note for that!"
:D  That amuses me more than it amuses her!

Welcome to WP!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 7:20 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 10:05 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. It is never to late to learn.

Elisabeth Anne Evans
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2023, 12:15 pm

Now that I am retired and no longer in the work force, I do not NEED the diagnosis, but it might have been useful when I was working. It certainly would have come in handy during my college day, if only to get me accommodation when taking exams. Communicating with my teachers and professors was always a problem. We seemed to be using different languages. I always felt that they were teaching from a secret lesson book whose contents were visible to the other students but not to me.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 2:38 pm

Elisabeth Anne Evans wrote:
...I do not NEED the diagnosis...
Then it is purely a matter of personal choice.

I think, however, you might find frequenting WP to be a good choice...no matter what your diagnosis status is.