Cant tell if this person loves me or hates me?

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2023, 11:55 pm

Rexi wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:
This forum seems to be obsessed with the narcissist label. And I doubt many here actually are narcissists because the fools that are called narcissists prefer to be among their kind, feeding each other with bs, or finding more fuel for their fodder, and therefore usually prefer the real world.

I think it's more likely he has a multitude of interests and distractions. That his mind is not sure what it wants and that at any given moment, another side kicks in and wants a different thing or person. Kind of like how a schizophrenic is with loose association but deeper than that. So just when he seems to be narrowing in on a certain 'goal' another brain wave takes over and says, "Hey! I don't want that, I want this!" Rendering him in a state of frustration and confusion, and others as well. He probably knows that trying to relate with one person is futile in this state of being and therefore retreats, scaring people into thinking he is a narcissist because it is way easier than allowing someone inside.....where Pandora's box lurks.

Judging by your history you (secretly) like it too.

It's deeper than that, for some. Similarities between NPD and ASD symptoms oftentimes hard for people to differentiate. Sometimes there's not just one answer either, can be autism and narcissism mixed in one.

These posts are usually made by people who have let these partners in but have been disappointed which is not great in itself. They're holding on to it. It's very rare they're annoyed from the get-go, incipient relationships tend to actually be asking for what should be done and expected in general.

I am not sure what you mean when you say I secretly like it too. Like the narcissist label? It's just easy to use nowadays is all. "Narcissism" is not biblical, therefore I really shun using it if possible. 'Fool' or 'immoral person' is a more accurate use of the term.

In this cases it is not narcissism. It is avoidance, trust me. I can differentiate it. Perhaps the partners who were let in were untrustworthy from the get-go and should not have been let in. I have been guilty of that myself on more than one occasion. It doesn't mean I have given up on the hope of finding my SM.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

11 Jan 2023, 12:27 am

MissMary227 wrote:
Rexi wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:
This forum seems to be obsessed with the narcissist label. And I doubt many here actually are narcissists because the fools that are called narcissists prefer to be among their kind, feeding each other with bs, or finding more fuel for their fodder, and therefore usually prefer the real world.

I think it's more likely he has a multitude of interests and distractions. That his mind is not sure what it wants and that at any given moment, another side kicks in and wants a different thing or person. Kind of like how a schizophrenic is with loose association but deeper than that. So just when he seems to be narrowing in on a certain 'goal' another brain wave takes over and says, "Hey! I don't want that, I want this!" Rendering him in a state of frustration and confusion, and others as well. He probably knows that trying to relate with one person is futile in this state of being and therefore retreats, scaring people into thinking he is a narcissist because it is way easier than allowing someone inside.....where Pandora's box lurks.

It's deeper than that, for some. Similarities between NPD and ASD symptoms oftentimes hard for people to differentiate. Sometimes there's not just one answer either, can be autism and narcissism mixed in one.

These posts are usually made by people who have let these partners in but have been disappointed which is not great in itself. They're holding on to it. It's very rare they're annoyed from the get-go, incipient relationships tend to actually be asking for what should be done and expected in general.

I am not sure what you mean when you say I secretly like it too. Like the narcissist label? It's just easy to use nowadays is all. "Narcissism" is not biblical, therefore I really shun using it if possible. 'Fool' or 'immoral person' is a more accurate use of the term.

In this cases it is not narcissism. It is avoidance, trust me. I can differentiate it. Perhaps the partners who were let in were untrustworthy from the get-go and should not have been let in. I have been guilty of that myself on more than one occasion. It doesn't mean I have given up on the hope of finding my SM.

Your claim was that the forum is obsessed with the label. You have involved yourself in the topic of narcissism multiple times so you must be fairly interested in it yourself. Is it, is it not. The question is just as interesting to you.

I meant in general, the forum's inclinations not this specific case. This is very restrained behavior in one specific area. I can't tell the future but there is always reason to consider breakups.

There are many reasons to date, most of them irrational. Also many to break up, they seem to be a bit better. :lol:

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2023, 12:36 am

Rexi wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:
Rexi wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:

Your claim was that the forum is obsessed with the label. You have involved yourself in the topic of narcissism multiple times so you must be fairly interested in it yourself. Is it, is it not. The question is just as interesting to you.

I meant in general, the forum's inclinations not this specific case. This is very restrained behavior in one specific area. I can't tell the future but there is always reason to consider breakups.

There are many reasons to date, most of them irrational. Also many to break up, they seem to be a bit better. :lol:

The reason I seem obsessed with it is because those I interact with are obsessed with it, you see. They have convinced themselves--and are trying to convince me--they are narcissists when in fact they are not. They are merely avoidant and other things. Most people do not like breaking up. Do you?

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

11 Jan 2023, 12:47 am

MissMary227 wrote:
Rexi wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:
Rexi wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:

The reason I seem obsessed with it is because those I interact with are obsessed with it, you see. They have convinced themselves--and are trying to convince me--they are narcissists when in fact they are not. They are merely avoidant and other things. Most people do not like breaking up. Do you?

There are many topics not just that one. We all have reasons to think about it probably.

Most people (secretly) enjoy it. Also a hell lot of people are fascinated by threatening it constantly, so that's something.

Last edited by Rexi on 11 Jan 2023, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2023, 12:55 am

Rexi wrote:

Most people (secretly) enjoy it. Also a hell lot of people are fascinated by threatening it constantly, so that's something.

I am glad you are happy in your relationship!

https://youtu.be/ZHYw0nTcQXc

:arrow: I can't imbed....but for those who want to see :|

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 1:08 am

MissMary227 wrote:
Rexi wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:

I'd be surprised if 'fool' would be more clergy-accurate terminology. But these days nothing about the clergy impresses me anymore.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2023, 1:18 am

I read somewhere a while back that the closest thing to a narcissist in bible terms is a 'fool'. But I also think we can come closer with Paul's description of what we usually mean by the concept of narcissist in his letter to the Galatians [The Galatians lit. 'Gauls') were a Celtic people dwelling in Galatia, a region of central Anatolia surrounding present-day Ankara, during the Hellenistic period. They spoke the Galatian language, which was closely related to Gaulish, a contemporary Celtic language spoken in Gaul.]

Galatians 5:19-23
New Living Translation

Quote:
When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God. But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

What do you think? Do you prefer the term 'narcissist' or 'fool' who partakes of those behaviors?

Yes, the clergy, especially the Catholic clergy, are rather prone to pedophilia, no? And have destroyed many peoples' lives.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 2:40 am

MissMary227 wrote:
I read somewhere a while back that the closest thing to a narcissist in bible terms is a 'fool'. But I also think we can come closer with Paul's description of what we usually mean by the concept of narcissist in his letter to the Galatians [The Galatians lit. 'Gauls') were a Celtic people dwelling in Galatia, a region of central Anatolia surrounding present-day Ankara, during the Hellenistic period. They spoke the Galatian language, which was closely related to Gaulish, a contemporary Celtic language spoken in Gaul.]

Galatians 5:19-23
New Living Translation

Quote:
When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God. But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

What do you think? Do you prefer the term 'narcissist' or 'fool' who partakes of those behaviors?

Yes, the clergy, especially the Catholic clergy, are rather prone to pedophilia, no? And have destroyed many peoples' lives.

Most of those have a religious interpretation, but they are normal human behaviors and even beneficial. Lustful pleasures, sorcery, assuming it would exist, healing incantations. None of the labels would fit in that case.

Nature has evolved from Darwin's studies to be sinful and healthy that way. But most of nature is against any rule of decency and involves corruption and unfair suffering.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 3:44 am

MissMary227 wrote:

Where are you running into all these people who call themselves narcissists?

What I've encountered, much more often, is a fad of people advising other people (based on very little evidence) to regard their partners and/or family members as narcissists, and then advising them to cut off contact with these partners and/or family members.

I find this fad disturbing because, in at least some cases, it is no doubt tearing apart families unnecessarily. I see it as part of an ever-growing overreaction against the stay-together-at-all-costs mentality that prevailed 60 years ago.

(I don't deny that in some cases it really is necessary for people to break off contact with their partners and families. I just think there are far too many people running around ardently preaching the gospel of "No Contact!" whenever they see anyone complain about even the slightest difficulty getting along with anyone.)

MissMary227 wrote:
Quote:

When people speak of "narcissism" these days, they usually mean "Narcissistic personality disorder," which isn't the same thing as your quoted list of sins, although there is some overlap.

RacoKula
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2023, 4:54 am

friends i appreciate that you all have different opinions on the habits of narcissists and their place in this forum but i feel like the topic is derailing.

what i gather is that the situation seems to be universally confusing, which is good to hear. but realistically if i want clarity I'll probs have to try and chat with himself, while also being aware of any potential toxicity

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 5:15 am

It would be Interesting to hear the results

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 6:30 am

RacoKula wrote:
friends i appreciate that you all have different opinions on the habits of narcissists and their place in this forum but i feel like the topic is derailing.

what i gather is that the situation seems to be universally confusing, which is good to hear. but realistically if i want clarity I'll probs have to try and chat with himself, while also being aware of any potential toxicity

Yeah if you're romantically interested in him, you should straight up ask him to commit to a date with you or some sort of sexual encounter, with the hope that if he refuses, you can still have him as part of your life. I say this however because I get the impression he is either on the autism spectrum or has similar traits.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 10:09 am

MaxE wrote:
Yeah if you're romantically interested in him, you should straight up ask him to commit to a date with you or some sort of sexual encounter, with the hope that if he refuses, you can still have him as part of your life. I say this however because I get the impression he is either on the autism spectrum or has similar traits.

Not a good idea, IMO, unless she is able to resolve her current issues with him first. If, on the other hand, he turns out to be a generally toxic person, then it would NOT be good for her to have gotten sexual with him. At this point, I think she is best off being assertively conciliatory but cautious.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 11:01 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Not a good idea, IMO, unless she is able to resolve her current issues with him first. If, on the other hand, he turns out to be a generally toxic person, then it would NOT be good for her to have gotten sexual with him. At this point, I think she is best off being assertively conciliatory but cautious.

Depends how you read him. I see evidence of his being on the AS but then I understand how such a person thinks whereas I don't know how a toxic person thinks, but even so a toxic person would probably reject a sexual advance as that would be a way to humiliate her, whereas if he's on the spectrum he might be sexually attracted to her but awkward about communicating that.

You do seem to have a better grasp of this topic so your judgment is probably better than mine.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 12:35 pm

MaxE wrote:
I don't know how a toxic person thinks, but even so a toxic person would probably reject a sexual advance as that would be a way to humiliate her.

Actually, a truly toxic person would be just as likely to respond to a sexual advance by flattering her about how hot and sexy she is, but then, after having sex, humiliate her by chewing her out about how awful she was in bed -- and/or, worse yet, gossip to all their mutual friends about how awful she was in bed.

Anyhow, here's a thread on How to avoid Dating a Narcissist, which might be helpful in evaluating the situation.

(Again I think it's premature to conclude that the O.P. is dealing with a generally toxic person, but I do think she should be prepared for that possibility.)

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 2:17 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
MaxE wrote:
I don't know how a toxic person thinks, but even so a toxic person would probably reject a sexual advance as that would be a way to humiliate her.

Actually, a truly toxic person would be just as likely to respond to a sexual advance by flattering her about how hot and sexy she is, but then, after having sex, humiliate her by chewing her out about how awful she was in bed -- and/or, worse yet, gossip to all their mutual friends about how awful she was in bed.

Anyhow, here's a thread on How to avoid Dating a Narcissist, which might be helpful in evaluating the situation.

(Again I think it's premature to conclude that the O.P. is dealing with a generally toxic person, but I do think she should be prepared for that possibility.)

OTOH I could be wrong she has any romantic interest in the guy. Perhaps I took her use of the word "Love" in the subject line too literally, after all this isn't L&D.