Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 7:47 pm

I started seeing promo ads on fb for independent rapper Tom MacDonald today. Watched a few of the clips. Dude is seriously working & hustling HARD to make his music success happen w/o any backing of a record label etc.

Recognized his name as a friend shared one of his rap songs with me called "The System," which I thought was really quite good.

Anyways, apparently his pop song "Ghost," has gone viral and is blowing up the charts big time right now - putting him in 2nd place only to Sam Smith's Unholy, which is pretty wild when he points out the Ghost is 100% Tom MacDonald solo only him and Unholy was created by a team of 16 people and 2 record labels or something like that.

Just gave a listen to his Ghost song.. I get it - it's a catchy love song to his girlfriend. Makes sense why it's getting attention. This might just be the track that propels him to fame & fortune.. or is, I guess. Apparently him and his family are packing and shipping 3,000 albums a day.

Looked him up.. he was born about a 45min drive from where I live. Local boy gone to the USA and wherever else to make his life. Good for him! Guess he knew he had to travel, too.. very low chance he'd have a music career in the town he was born in :lol: as Mission is a pretty sleepy little place.

Anyways, on with the song:

Just figured I'd share a bit of a feel good success story. Kinda neat he's from around here and also shares my birthday. Hope he has continued success in the face of the big juggernaut record labels! 8)

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2023, 8:16 pm

:heart:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 3:17 pm

Holy moly.. this guy is Good. Like REALLY good!

Can't believe I never heard of him until about a month ago. He has 8 albums out. One of my friends from the beach is friends with him and says he's in a couple of his older music videos. I tried to find them but can't find him in any vids that match any of the titles he thought they were named. But I have just listened to several more songs.. and WOW - literally not one that sucks. They all have catchy beats, lyrics, choruses.. his rap style is extremely "listenable," as you can clearly hear all the lyrics.

He's definitely an anti-establishment type.. complete with an interview on Newsmax lol and kinda anti-woke, right leaning conservative without being insulting or rude. Just speaking his mind. Even as a left leaning gay man, I still have a huge appreciation for his perspective and political/societal commentary lyrics. The man is a true artist!

100% I'd pay to see him, and because of all the locals that I know that know him I might get a chance to meet him and his gf someday - which would be neat. 8) There have been other locals with successful music careers in the USA, but it's still super cool that younger up and coming locals are truly killing it. He even has a song produced by Eminem!

I dunno if I'll ever listen to all like 100+ songs he's ever recorded, but so far listening to several.. all have been good. Nice sounding, impactfull messages etc. Quality. Dude's gonna go from broke rapper with a dream to Big Time Money over the next handful of years 100% he's gonna take this fame straight to the bank and deserves it!