First Ever Organism That Actually Eats Viruses For Nutrition

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 9:55 pm

Virovores exist! Meet Halteria!

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2023, 7:02 am

that is just amazing, thanks :D

The consumption of viruses returns energy to food chains

Viruses impact host cells and have indirect effects on ecosystem processes. Plankton such as ciliates can reduce the abundance of virions in water, but whether virus consumption translates into demographic consequences for the grazers is unknown. Here, we show that small protists not only can consume viruses they also can grow and divide given only viruses to eat. Moreover, the ciliate Halteria sp. foraging on chloroviruses displays dynamics and interaction parameters that are similar to other microbial trophic interactions. These results suggest that the effect of viruses on ecosystems extends beyond (and in contrast to) the viral shunt by redirecting energy up food chains.
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2215000120

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 1:53 pm

A protozoan, like a paramecium, eating a virus, is kinda like a human being chowing down on mosquitos.

The size ratio between a paramecium and a virus is at least as lopsided as that between a person and a mosquito. In neither case would the predator gain much nutrition from the diet.

And mosquitos are ectoparasites - they steal the blood from mammals (including humans). Like viruses are parasites onto larger critters (bacteria, protozoans, and multicelled plants and animals, including humans).

So it would kinda loop the energy and protein back into the food chain. But just think...how many hundreds of mosquitos you would have to capture in order to...mash them together to make them into a descent sized hamburger patty?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 1:58 pm

Damn.

I read it as “first ever orgasm...”

I hate when that happens.

:x

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 2:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But just think...how many hundreds of mosquitos you would have to capture in order to...mash them together to make them into a descent sized hamburger patty?

I'd like to see Bill Nye run that experiment (and comment on the flavor / texture).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2023, 2:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
A protozoan, like a paramecium, eating a virus, is kinda like a human being chowing down on mosquitos.

The size ratio between a paramecium and a virus is at least as lopsided as that between a person and a mosquito. In neither case would the predator gain much nutrition from the diet.

And mosquitos are ectoparasites - they steal the blood from mammals (including humans). Like viruses are parasites onto larger critters (bacteria, protozoans, and multicelled plants and animals, including humans).

So it would kinda loop the energy and protein back into the food chain. But just think...how many hundreds of mosquitos you would have to capture in order to...mash them together to make them into a descent sized hamburger patty?

well each pound of the whale is supported by 10,000 pounds of phytoplankton....if this kind of mismatched ratio works for the whales, why not for paramecium :P

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 7:03 pm

Chuckster wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

well each pound of the whale is supported by 10,000 pounds of phytoplankton....if this kind of mismatched ratio works for the whales, why not for paramecium :P

But plankton are like grass to the bison. The Bison live a sea of it. Humans dont swim in a sea of mosquitos. And plankton dont live off of the whales. So its not a closed loop. In some cultures, like Mongol nomads, humans eat their own blood sucking lice. But they dont subsist upon them exclusively.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 7:09 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
But just think...how many hundreds of mosquitos you would have to capture in order to...mash them together to make them into a descent sized hamburger patty?

I'd like to see Bill Nye run that experiment (and comment on the flavor / texture).

Yes.

Mosquitos might taste like shrimp. On the other hand a friend of mine once broke open a bed bug, and the smell of [what I assume was my buddy's own putrefied blood] inside it was abominable.

Mosquitos typically weigh five milligrams, according to the net. A quarter pounder beef paddy is four onces (4X28), or 112 grams. So it would take 23 THOUSAND mosquitos to fill a quarter pounder.

Mosquitos are themselves ectoparasites. So they are in essence predators. So living off eating mosquitos is like eating wolves. Its more efficient to eat deer (that eat plants) than to eat the animals that eat deer.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 8:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Yes.

Mosquitos might taste like shrimp. On the other hand a friend of mine once broke open a bed bug, and the smell of [what I assume was my buddy's own putrefied blood] inside it was abominable.

Mosquitos typically weigh five milligrams, according to the net. A quarter pounder beef paddy is four onces (4X28), or 112 grams. So it would take 23 THOUSAND mosquitos to fill a quarter pounder.

Mosquitos are themselves ectoparasites. So they are in essence predators. So living off eating mosquitos is like eating wolves. Its more efficient to eat deer (that eat plants) than to eat the animals that eat deer.

Oh right, I'd just be excited about Bill Nye eating mosquitos.

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2023, 4:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Chuckster wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

But plankton are like grass to the bison. The Bison live a sea of it. Humans dont swim in a sea of mosquitos. And plankton dont live off of the whales. So its not a closed loop. In some cultures, like Mongol nomads, humans eat their own blood sucking lice. But they dont subsist upon them exclusively.

I don't think it's the size of the pray that matters but the efficiency of digestion and what the pray is made of. Viruses contain amino acids, nucleic acids, and lipids, and (quoting that article) if consumed in sufficient quantities could influence the population dynamics of the species that consume them. The guy who discovered that they are virovors said also that “[Viruses are] made up of really good stuff: nucleic acids, a lot of nitrogen and phosphorous”

The number of chloroviruses was plummeting by as much as 100-fold in just two days. The population of Halteria, with nothing to eat but the virus, was growing an average of about 15 times larger over that same timespan. Halteria deprived of the chlorovirus, meanwhile, wasn't growing at all.

To confirm that the Halteria was actually consuming the virus, the team tagged some of the chlorovirus DNA with a fluorescent green dye before introducing the virus to the ciliates. Sure enough, the ciliate equivalent of a stomach, its vacuole, was soon glowing green.

DeLong wasn't done. The mathematical side of him wondered whether this particular predator-prey dynamic, as strange as it seemed, might share commonalities with the more pedestrian pairings he was accustomed to studying.

He started by charting the decline of the chlorovirus against the growth of the Halteria. That relationship, DeLong found, generally fits with those ecologists have observed among other microscopic hunters and their hunted. The Halteria also converted about 17% of the consumed chlorovirus mass into new mass of its own, right in line with percentages seen when Paramecia eat bacteria and millimeter-long crustaceans eat algae. Even the rate at which ciliates preyed on the virus, and the roughly 10,000-fold disparity in their sizes, match up with other aquatic case studies.

DeLong and his colleagues have since identified other ciliates that, like Halteria, can thrive by dining on viruses alone. The more they uncover, the more likely it seems that virovory could be occurring in the wild.

the whole process is explained here: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 103521.htm

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 8:20 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Yes.

Oh right, I'd just be excited about Bill Nye eating mosquitos.

I am sure Bill Nye would be game for it.

But ....if were gonna wrangle 23 thousand mosquitos we had better start on it NOW!

https://youtu.be/BHBbJAIcnBI

offa1996
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2023, 11:58 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Yes, but..

How many scientists does it take to modify these habits?

How about these organisms, made larger, hungrier. And they're made to feed on things like Covid?

----

Viruses sometimes invade a human host cell that is way way bigger than them.

The (what's it called?) virus eating organisms nucleus could also be altered, to make it larger. And production of said organism could be carried out on a larger scale.

My opinion anyway.

This is the first, though?

Why are we just discovering this? Man, the Modern era sure feels funny sometimes.

Still, it's amazing. And now I know.

DetectiveND
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2023, 6:05 pm

I had never considered how do viruses "die". Very interesting, thank you for sharing!