Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2023, 1:46 am

As someone autistic, I often overthink things and wonder if imagination is really a waste of time, as you obviously can't "see" into an imagination. I've also heard that imaginary friends have been made illegal, thanks to a recent trend in child-rearing that argues that imaginary friends were seen as a sign of mental disturbance.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 6:18 am

not so sure about the illegal part, but there might be more concern today than in days past about "imaginary friends". I thought most children went through a phase where this was common. There are so many ways to imagine. Many autistic persons prefer to search out facts and information , but of course that is different for each and every one of us. If you find imagination not useful, you do have alternatives or choices you can make. No laws say you "have to" imagine a thing, ever. (no laws say you can't imagine if you choose to as long as nobody else is harmed in doing so )

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2023, 1:36 am

This is going to be hard to talk about without me rambling, but here goes...

One of my great passions as someone autistic is Disney, especially Disney parks (Disneyland in particular). One thing I like to do is come up with new parks for other places in the world.

The problem is that I like to be very realistic with my locations, and as an autistic person, that means overthinking a lot, because I'm literal-minded.

I had seen people come up with ideas for parks and just putting them whatever, no matter how fictitious it may be, because they seem to know that their ideas are fictitious, and they decide to just roll with it. The blue sky process appears to be all that matters, nothing else. They might set a park in, say, Germany or Australia, yet they seem to acknowledge that it's not actually going to happen. On another forum thread (on Disney parks, not Wrong Planet), it reads:

Is blue sky a part of the process? Yes. Will the real world manage to hit us in the face every step of the way, absolutely! I am currently in College working for a BFA in Filmmaking and boy am I slapped by reality every day. But when we have an opportunity on something like a discussion board where we aren't constrained by land ownership, or cost of building, why not let our imaginations run [wild]? It's the perfect time and place, and frankly I welcome more of it.
Sure some ideas are outlandish and would never ever be built in a disney park in the real world, but isnt that what makes this kind of blue sky thinking and conceptualization beautiful? You don't need to pay for a ticket to take a ride in your imagination. All it takes is a click of the mouse, a few lines of well-written descriptions, and my mind goes racing. I say, continue to Blue-Sky! Even if you have to force yourself to specify at the beginning that this exists in a parallel universe, keep up the practice!

As I said, though, I'm literal-minded, which means that I like to be realistic.

Based on that comment about a parallel universe, one time, I thought of doing a park entirely fictitious and not tied down to a realistic place. But as I said, you can't "see" into your imagination. The only real way to "see" your imagination is with pictures, whether something like, say, Planet Coaster or even just drawings on paper, but even they can only do so much. In any case, I have a tough time admitting that my ideas do take place in a parallel universe. How would a blue sky disclaimer work with a parallel universe? For one thing, wouldn't you need to explain that parallel universe to others? And if it's set in a real country (such as Germany or Australia), isn't that not actually a parallel universe, but set in the real world? :? :?

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2023, 9:35 am

If it became illegal to have imaginary friends, I would create imaginary friends and tell everyone about them lol

And about mental disturbance: I consider all humans "mentally disturbed" in one way or the other. Your "mental disturbance" may just be less common than theirs. I like uncommon things.

Imagination is not a waste of time, even when it's completely useless. It's a normal function of the brain, and it's good to use it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 9:38 am

That doesn't make sense.

How can one make imaginary friends "illegal"?

In the vast majority of psychological and psychiatric circles, "imaginary friends" are considered an inevitable part of childhood.

It might be seen as something of a "pathology" in adults----but it's certainly not "illegal."

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 9:41 am

mharrington85 wrote:
As someone autistic, I often overthink things and wonder if imagination is really a waste of time, as you obviously can't "see" into an imagination. I've also heard that imaginary friends have been made illegal, thanks to a recent trend in child-rearing that argues that imaginary friends were seen as a sign of mental disturbance.
My imagination has always served as a glorious escape where I can relax and enjoy being me. Making imaginary friends illegal is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I guess I should be in prison then along with every child on the planet.

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 10 Jan 2023, 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 9:41 am

Just where are you getting thin information from? Social media?

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 10:14 am

mharrington85 wrote:

One of my great passions as someone autistic is Disney, especially Disney parks (Disneyland in particular). One thing I like to do is come up with new parks for other places in the world.

The problem is that I like to be very realistic with my locations, and as an autistic person, that means overthinking a lot, because I'm literal-minded.

I had seen people come up with ideas for parks and just putting them whatever, no matter how fictitious it may be, because they seem to know that their ideas are fictitious, and they decide to just roll with it. The blue sky process appears to be all that matters, nothing else. They might set a park in, say, Germany or Australia, yet they seem to acknowledge that it's not actually going to happen. On another forum thread (on Disney parks, not Wrong Planet), it reads:

Is blue sky a part of the process? Yes. Will the real world manage to hit us in the face every step of the way, absolutely! I am currently in College working for a BFA in Filmmaking and boy am I slapped by reality every day. But when we have an opportunity on something like a discussion board where we aren't constrained by land ownership, or cost of building, why not let our imaginations run [wild]? It's the perfect time and place, and frankly I welcome more of it.
Sure some ideas are outlandish and would never ever be built in a disney park in the real world, but isnt that what makes this kind of blue sky thinking and conceptualization beautiful? You don't need to pay for a ticket to take a ride in your imagination. All it takes is a click of the mouse, a few lines of well-written descriptions, and my mind goes racing. I say, continue to Blue-Sky! Even if you have to force yourself to specify at the beginning that this exists in a parallel universe, keep up the practice!

Based on that comment about a parallel universe, one time, I thought of doing a park entirely fictitious and not tied down to a realistic place. But as I said, you can't "see" into your imagination. The only real way to "see" your imagination is with pictures, whether something like, say, Planet Coaster or even just drawings on paper, but even they can only do so much. In any case, I have a tough time admitting that my ideas do take place in a parallel universe. How would a blue sky disclaimer work with a parallel universe? For one thing, wouldn't you need to explain that parallel universe to others? And if it's set in a real country (such as Germany or Australia), isn't that not actually a parallel universe, but set in the real world? :? :?

Huh?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 10:39 am

rse92 wrote:
mharrington85 wrote:

Huh?
That's what I said, "Huh??" :shaking: I think I am as confused as I can be! :D

Wreck It Ralph

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 11:27 am

My imaginary friend threatened to squeal on me to the heat. Had to grease him!

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2023, 9:59 pm

DanielW wrote:
Just where are you getting thin information from? Social media?

Actually, it had originated from the old web cartoon series Homestar Runner. In particular, it came from this episode of "Strong Bad Email", in which Strong Bad recounts about a time his younger brother Strong Sad once had an imaginary friend "back before insane parents made imaginary friends illegal for kids to have" (one reason for which was that kids tended to give their friends creepy names). Watch:

According to the matching wiki article on the toon (http://hrwiki.org/wiki/imaginary#Explanations), the remark about imaginary friends being forbidden correlates with a recent trend in child-rearing that believes imaginary friends are unhealthy, and an indicator of mental instability.

Further, on another website, TVTropes.org, there is a page there on imaginary friends as well: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImaginaryFriend. Near the end of the description, it, too, talks about how imaginary friends are, for better or worse, a thing of the past:

Possibly due to widespread pop-psychology, and in the '90s a lot of hysteria about split personality, imaginary friends were supposedly a symptom of mental disturbance. Some doctors really believed it was an early indicator of dissociating personality, which is supposedly a flight from reality in response to trauma. Moral guardians warn that they're a sign of demonic possession.

Mind you, the article does mention how false it all is (not just kids, but adults, too, have imaginary friends), but the fact that they would even consider such figments of imagination unhealthy gives me pause.

For that reason on the argument of mental disturbance, as someone autistic, I cringe whenever I read/hear the word "fictional", which automatically means "not real" and "existing only in the imagination". I actually prefer the word "fictitious", which I think sounds a little more dignified, or perhaps "made-up".

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 10:26 pm

I once heard about a little girl on TV who had schizophrenia since she was a baby at least, and she had all these "friends" which were mostly different animals named after numbers or days of the week, and at first her parents thought they were just her imaginary friends, but they weren't because she wasn't controlling them, they were controlling her and would attack her and stuff, which is not something a kid's imaginary friends would normally do.

When I was a kid in the 70s and 80s adults were always saying kids had no imagination because TV was destroying it, but now it's like, any kid who uses their imagination really has schizophrenia and needs to be locked up because all schizos are dangerous and psychotic. They're like, Christopher Robin in Winnie-the-Pooh, he's a schizophrenic, so is Calvin in Calvin and Hobbes, ha ha ha I hate this world.

And as Calvin's Uncle Max once said, "Sometimes I think *all* my friends have been imaginary". Also Calvin's Dad said that Calvin's assumption that Uncle Max had been in prison wasn't all that shocking.

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2023, 11:29 pm

skibum wrote:
rse92 wrote:
mharrington85 wrote:

Huh?
That's what I said, "Huh??" :shaking: I think I am as confused as I can be! :D

I told you it would be hard for me to articulate my thoughts clearly. My point here is, I like to come up with ideas for Disney parks. As an autistic person, I like to go beyond just the blue sky process.

"Blue sky" here refers to a time in the concept phase of project development when all constraints (physical, practical, budgetary, etc.) are ignored and ideas are able to flow. Imagineers are allowed to dream the impossible, follow their heart and imagine like a child. While some ideas never leave the "blue sky" phase, others become amazing feats of Imagineering lived out in Disney Parks around the globe.

The fact is, however, I like to come up with ideas as if they would go beyond the blue sky process. I like to be realistic. Is there a way I can set up my ideas so that I'm upfront about them being unrealistic? Because I'm not used to restricting my ideas to the blue sky area, and I'm certainly not used to being overly imaginative (hence, the whole mental instability/mental disturbance thing). This video below does say to take a moment to forget about constraints, but also to not dismiss them completely, as you will need to pay attention later:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 8:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That doesn't make sense.

How can one make imaginary friends "illegal"?

In the vast majority of psychological and psychiatric circles, "imaginary friends" are considered an inevitable part of childhood.

It might be seen as something of a "pathology" in adults----but it's certainly not "illegal."

I agree. I guess the OP means it figuratively. I have a kind of imaginary friend. I explain things to him and sometimes we have quite polemical discussions where I'll declare a thing to be true and he'll present the opposite case. Sometimes he reassures me that I'm performing quite well, and when I'm (objectively) alone I get some comfort from feeling that he's around, always ready to listen and take an interest in whatever I want to talk about.

Of course I know he doesn't really exist except in my imagination. He's a benign delusion and I know he's a delusion, so he's not really much of a delusion at all, certainly less so than a dream usually is. I don't tell people about him unless I feel very safe with them, because I suspect a lot of people would think I wasn't quite right in the head. But I think I'd only be a pathological case if I began to believe he was real. Even then it's hard to know how that could do any harm, but it depends where such a belief led me. I might start to see people as somehow inferior or threatening if they didn't believe he existed. So I guess it would have the same dangers as religion.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2023, 7:13 am

Sometimes I have high IQ creations that I wish there was some way to output into real life by mind data transfer.
But if they can read minds they would be able to know if someone is eating their daily dose of ze bugs or not so I am conflicted about this.

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2023, 2:51 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I guess the OP means it figuratively.

One reason I brought up this topic was because I was trying to figure out if it's loony to want to have anything to do with anything that doesn't exist in reality, whether it's imaginary friends or made-up places (whether in books, movies, TV, video games, etc.) or coming up with alternate scenarios or just doing anything not bound to the laws of reality.