Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2023, 12:13 am

I’m a manager at the program. I help the supervisors and the staff.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 12:20 am

ivyeight6 wrote:
An high functioning autistic guy at a day program I work is upset that he can’t be around or go to groups with a staff member who is a young woman he likes anymore. How do I deal with that?

Above, you describe him as "high functioning." However, here, in this other thread, you described him as being "intellectually disabled" as well as autistic. Given his intellectual disability, in what sense is he "high functioning"?

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2023, 12:21 am

He can communicate but has difficulty reading social cues.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 12:25 am

ivyeight6 wrote:
Yes. I did. He constantly worries he might do the same to other staff members.

Have you, or someone else on your staff, explained to him -- in clear and specific detail -- exactly what kinds of questions are considered to be personal questions?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 12:34 am

ivyeight6 wrote:
Please, limit asking her personal questions. He said that he’ll stop but he pretty much didn’t get it.

Might be better to outright forbid him from asking personal questions at all than to ask him to "limit" them. If you just ask him to "limit" them, he probably would have no idea where to draw the line.

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2023, 1:01 am

He knows. I also let him go to her groups sometimes.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 1:21 am

ivyeight6 wrote:
He knows.

Knows what, exactly?

Your posts in this thread (and elsewhere) tend to be extremely terse. It's often hard to know exactly what you are talking about.

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2023, 2:44 am

I meant he knows not to ask her questions like this.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 4:03 am

So, what is the problem you are having with him at the present time?

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2023, 4:05 am

Even though he’s not suppose to, I sometimes let him.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 7:07 am

ivyeight6 wrote:
Even though he’s not suppose to, I sometimes let him.

Is he behaving better now?

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2023, 7:08 am

Yes.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 4:41 am

Good. If his behavior continues to improve, maybe it won't be necessary to forbid him from participating in those groups/activities anymore?