Classified documents found in Biden’s old office

Page 1 of 9 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 9:21 pm

U.S. attorney reviewing documents marked classified from Joe Biden's vice presidency found at Biden think tank

Quote:
Attorney General Merrick Garland has assigned the U.S. attorney in Chicago to review documents marked classified that were found at the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement in Washington, two sources with knowledge of the inquiry told CBS News. The roughly 10 documents are from President Biden's vice-presidential office at the center, the sources said. CBS News has learned the FBI is also involved in the U.S. attorney's inquiry.

The material was identified by personal attorneys for Mr. Biden on Nov. 2, just before the midterm elections, Richard Sauber, special counsel to the president confirmed. The documents were discovered when Mr. Biden's personal attorneys "were packing files housed in a locked closet to prepare to vacate office space at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, D.C.," Sauber said in a statement to CBS News. The documents were contained in a folder that was in a box with other unclassified papers, the sources said. The sources revealed neither what the documents contain nor their level of classification. A source familiar told CBS News the documents did not contain nuclear secrets.

Sauber also said that on the same day the material was discovered, Nov. 2, the White House counsel's office notified the National Archives, which took possession of the materials the following morning.

"The discovery of these documents was made by the President's attorneys," Sauber said. "The documents were not the subject of any previous request or inquiry by the Archives. Since that discovery, the President's personal attorneys have cooperated with the Archives and the Department of Justice in a process to ensure that any Obama-Biden Administration records are appropriately in the possession of the Archives."

Garland assigned U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois John Lausch to find out how the material marked classified ended up at the Penn Biden Center. The review is considered a preliminary step, and the attorney general will determine whether further investigation is necessary, including potentially appointing a special counsel.

Lausch was nominated to be U.S. attorney by former President Donald Trump, and he is one of only two current Trump-era U.S. attorneys still serving. The other is Delaware U.S. Attorney David Weiss, who is leading an investigation into the president's son, Hunter Biden.

Lausch recently briefed the attorney general and will eventually submit a final report to Garland. The review is expected to conclude soon.

The Penn Biden Center is a think tank about a mile from the White House, in Washington, D.C., that is affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania and named for the sitting president.

The Presidential Records Act requires all presidential and vice-presidential documents be turned over to the National Archives. There are special protocols to keep classified information secure.

President Biden learned about the presence of the documents when his lawyer reported them to the White House counsel's office in November. A source familiar said the president is unaware of their contents. The documents are believed to be currently held in a secure location in Washington.

Lauch's review will examine, in part, how the documents got from Mr. Biden's vice-presidential office to the Penn Biden Center.

The Penn Biden Center and the University of Pennsylvania did not respond to a request for comment. The National Archives declined to comment

A source familiar said the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) is aware of the Justice Department inquiry. The ODNI also declined to comment.

You can’t make this stuff up.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 12:22 am

Found Nov 2 just before the midterm elections and we are just finding out about it now. Hmmm.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 2:36 am

:lmao:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 3:20 am

I suspect there has been a little bit of document mishandling with all elected officials. But I don't think its ever before been as intentional as it was with Trump, who actively refused to fully comply with requests for the documents.

Still, yeah, not a good look. And it makes holding Trump accountable much more difficult.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 3:11 pm

CNN
CNN is reporting the 10 documents are from 2013 to 2016 and contain intelligence memos and briefing materials related to Iran, the United Kingdom, and Ukraine.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 6:46 pm

"Political hypocrisy" when it is uncovered.
Ahhhh.
So satisfying. :mrgreen:

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 9:14 pm

Sad thing is I believe old Joe when he says he can't remember. :skull:

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 12:34 am

Pepe wrote:
Ahhhh.

This is hardly the same thing as with Trump. The Dear Leader had denied he had (many more) classified documents, then claimed they were stolen by the feds, then had been planted on him by said feds. Biden's people did the right thing by turning the documents over to the federal government upon discovery.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2023, 12:41 am

Trump will not be indicted. Or ever convicted. He has a guardian angel I think.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 1:18 am

MissMary227 wrote:

Never say never. Even John Gotti, the Teflon Don, finally got his.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2023, 1:21 am

I meant it.

You heard it here first :P

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 1:24 am

MissMary227 wrote:
I meant it.

You heard it here first :P

I wouldn't hold my breath.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 1:52 am

MissMary227 wrote:

I've been saying the same.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 2:20 am

Reading another article on this matter, I will note that in cases like this the crime is less in having made the mistake, than in trying to cover it up or double down on it. Which it is in any one case is best determined by looking at all the surrounding facts.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 2:27 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Sad thing is I believe old Joe when he says he can't remember. :skull:

:lmao:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 2:30 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Ahhhh.

This is hardly the same thing as with Trump. The Dear Leader had denied he had (many more) classified documents, then claimed they were stolen by the feds, then had been planted on him by said feds. Biden's people did the right thing by turning the documents over to the federal government upon discovery.

They HIDE this information until AFTER the elections.
How can you not see the corruption in this??? :roll: :mrgreen: