Bad sinuses all night (do not read while eating)

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 12:01 am

It's almost 5am and I haven't had a wink of sleep yet even though I'm tired, because my sinuses have been playing up.

I haven't had any dairy food or drink recently but it hasn't made any difference. I took an antihistamine pill and breathed in steam but that just clogged my sinuses up even more and I could barely breathe. I sprayed nasal spray into my nostrils but it didn't seem to touch the mucus and just trickled down my throat instead.

I've been sneezing a lot, trying to sneeze out my nose instead of out my mouth, if you know what I mean, and it cleared my nose for a few seconds then it started blocking up again. It's like there's a dryness in one side of my nose (the left side) even though that side keeps dripping like a tap but there's still some sort of dryness that is causing all the irritation and excessive sneezing.

I hate these flare-ups. They always seem to happen at night. The dehumidifier is broken so I can't use that at the moment. My eyes also keep streaming.

No, it isn't a cold nor covid. A virus comes on more gradually, causing a feverish feeling in your nose or head or wherever. This is different; there's no fever, and the itchiness and inflammation came on very suddenly, like literally my nose was dry and normal then less than 5 minutes later it started getting all itchy and then, 6 hours later, it has just about calmed down but I'm still sniffing and it's hindering me from getting to sleep.

This ain't normal. But every time I see the doctor it never gets any better and they don't seem to know what's wrong either, they just say it's dust allergies. Well my apartment can't be that dusty because we have pet rats and their respiratory systems are more sensitive than our's yet they seem to be fine. (By the way I am not allergic to rats, as I've been having these same problems with my sinuses long before I got rats).

If my body is becoming immune to antihistamines then I'm screwed. :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 12:20 am

Sorry you’re feeling this way.

When I get this way, I benefit by sleeping on my back, which helps with draining my nose.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 7:31 pm

I’ve found a neti pot to be a great help with sinus problems.Just be sure you boils the water first to make sure it’s safe, even tap water can have bacteria ( cool to whatever temp you are comfy with)or use distilled.They have packets of salt to add to the water.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2023, 8:08 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It's almost 5am and I haven't had a wink of sleep yet even though I'm tired, because my sinuses have been playing up.

I haven't had any dairy food or drink recently but it hasn't made any difference. I took an antihistamine pill and breathed in steam but that just clogged my sinuses up even more and I could barely breathe. I sprayed nasal spray into my nostrils but it didn't seem to touch the mucus and just trickled down my throat instead.

I've been sneezing a lot, trying to sneeze out my nose instead of out my mouth, if you know what I mean, and it cleared my nose for a few seconds then it started blocking up again. It's like there's a dryness in one side of my nose (the left side) even though that side keeps dripping like a tap but there's still some sort of dryness that is causing all the irritation and excessive sneezing.

I hate these flare-ups. They always seem to happen at night. The dehumidifier is broken so I can't use that at the moment. My eyes also keep streaming.

No, it isn't a cold nor covid. A virus comes on more gradually, causing a feverish feeling in your nose or head or wherever. This is different; there's no fever, and the itchiness and inflammation came on very suddenly, like literally my nose was dry and normal then less than 5 minutes later it started getting all itchy and then, 6 hours later, it has just about calmed down but I'm still sniffing and it's hindering me from getting to sleep.

This ain't normal. But every time I see the doctor it never gets any better and they don't seem to know what's wrong either, they just say it's dust allergies. Well my apartment can't be that dusty because we have pet rats and their respiratory systems are more sensitive than our's yet they seem to be fine. (By the way I am not allergic to rats, as I've been having these same problems with my sinuses long before I got rats).

If my body is becoming immune to antihistamines then I'm screwed. :(

How often do you take antihistamines?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 11:46 am

I take them every day, if I remember. They do often keep my sinuses from getting irritated but if a flare-up has already begun then taking an antihistamine doesn't seem to shift it.

When having these attacks I literally get through more tissues in an hour than a person with a cold would in a week. That's how bad these attacks can get. It happened at work one night, and I'm usually outside and there are no cornfields near where I work. So this proves that there doesn't seem to be a specific trigger for this.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jan 2023, 4:52 am

I have bad sinus problems as well. Unfortunately it seems next to impossible to find an apartment where nobody ever smokes weed or cigs inside nor rite outside :( I'm on some meds besides an antihistamine & the combo helps a tiny bit. I use a steroid nasal spray 2wice a day called Flonase which is available over the counter here in the US & could be used on an as needed basis. I take a prescription med called Singulair/Montelukast every day which is a preventive med for asthma, allergies, & asthma triggered by allergies(I don't have asthma except very rarely when my allergies are very sever). I occasionally take Sudafed/Pseudoephedrine as needed which does not require a prescription here but it's behind the counter & requires ID & has a limit to how much you can get in a month cuz some people make crystal meth out of it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 5:20 am

my sinus problems didn't abate until i gave up gluten and gliadin and the lions' share of refined carbs/sugar in my diet. also, sleep with the furnace off, the cold air is much better for the sinuses.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 7:22 pm

agrees with Auntblabby above, but i also finally got most milk products outta my diet except yoghurt.
lots less congestion .

where ever you go ,there you are

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 7:38 pm

I don't have a furnace and we have the heating off at night (though if my boyfriend had his way the radiators would remain blaring on all the time).

I have rhinitis. I have to keep reassuring people at work that I do not have a cold. I can tell the difference between a cold and rhinitis, but to other people they both look the same. A cold is contagious, rhinitis isn't.

I wish it wasn't called rhinitis though, because it sounds like it was named after a rhino and then I feel like a rhino whenever I have one of my attacks.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 9:50 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't have a furnace and we have the heating off at night (though if my boyfriend had his way the radiators would remain blaring on all the time).

I have rhinitis. I have to keep reassuring people at work that I do not have a cold. I can tell the difference between a cold and rhinitis, but to other people they both look the same. A cold is contagious, rhinitis isn't.

I wish it wasn't called rhinitis though, because it sounds like it was named after a rhino and then I feel like a rhino whenever I have one of my attacks.

Rhinoceroses are named after the horns on their nose. Literally nose+horn in Greek.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 12:10 am

Ugh, I've been awake all night with another sinus attack. This time it started when I was taking a warm, steamy shower, in a well-ventilated bathroom. So that just proves that there's no real cause of this, it just comes on without warning. My sinuses have been quite clear all week, and I haven't had any dairy products in the last couple of days (I did a few days ago but I never had any sinus problems). But I don't want to bring diet into it, as I don't think it's that. So please don't give me a shopping list.

It starts off with itchy ears, palate and throat. Then if I press my tongue up against my palate it triggers a few sneezes, and as much as I blow my nose in between sneezes it just gets worse and worse until I'm suffering. It can last for hours. Nose sprays don't help, as it just trickles straight down to my throat and doesn't clear my sinuses.
But it's not about a blocked nose, it's severe itching (in the ears and throat) and sneezing. It usually happens at night but it has happened in the day before at work. So there's no pattern.

I think I'll visit the pharmacy tomorrow and see if I can get some stronger antihistamines that completely dry your sinuses regardless. I've tried them before and they worked a little too well, plus they made me drowsy so I might be able to gain some more sleep while I'm at it. :)

Lastly, these sinus attacks sometimes gives me an upset stomach and diarrhea from swallowing too much mucus, which then in turn messes up my whole digestive body clock.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 12:19 am

Have you tried getting local honey and like putting a spoonfull of that in your morning tea or coffee?

I bought some local honey here, where it comes from the same area I live and yeah just a spoonful of honey in my morning tea really does seem to help that sort of thing. So I think you live in the U.K not sure what there is available for local honey there but if you can find something local to your area it might help that.

Idk I get the worst like morning coughs and such, like having to go to the toilet to spit up mucus and such, but whenever I add some local honey to my morning tea I forget I even have that problem like a good strong cup of black tea with a spoonful of honey seems to help.

Also if you are desperate for relief..try peppermint oil on your feet...sounds insane for sure but I have certainly done that before and it did help. Idk if it was just a placebo effect or not but either way it still helped with the sinus problems I get.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 12:24 am

I don't drink tea or coffee because I don't like it.

I do sometimes have honey to coat my itchy throat but it doesn't shift it.

It's 7 or 8 hours later and my nose has just about cleared. Now I need to catch up on lost sleep.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 12:34 am

Joe90 wrote:

It's 7 or 8 hours later and my nose has just about cleared. Now I need to catch up on lost sleep.

Hmm fair enough, but also you can make a drink of hot water, lemon juice and honey for the morning if you don't like caffine drinks in the morning. I just cannot imagine starting my day without a nice cup of tea or I can imagine it but it sucks like I really need my morning tea to set the day up right.

Well I don't get heartburn from tea...but coffee can be harsher. Like Idk here in the u.s it feels weird being a tea drinker...everyone wants their coffee and I don't really like the taste. But I do like tea so yeah Idk I drink tea in the morninng and Idk why other people don't drink tea and settle for worse tasting coffeee....but I suppose it is just my personal preference.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 28 Jan 2023, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 12:44 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Hmm fair enough, but also you can make a drink of hot water, lemon juice and honey for the morning if you don't like caffine drinks in the morning. I just cannot imagine starting my day without a nice cup of tea or I can imagine it but it sucks like I really need my morning tea to set the day up right.

Most people do, but I'm quite odd. :lol:
I've never really been a fan of hot drinks. I don't like waiting for kettles to boil and I don't like drinking liquids that are too hot but I don't like waiting for it to cool. I'm too impatient. And I've noticed that people who drink hot drinks a lot are prone to burping and heartburn (ironically more than carbonated drinks).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 1:04 am

Joe90 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Most people do, but I'm quite odd. :lol:
I've never really been a fan of hot drinks. I don't like waiting for kettles to boil and I don't like drinking liquids that are too hot but I don't like waiting for it to cool. I'm too impatient. And I've noticed that people who drink hot drinks a lot are prone to burping and heartburn (ironically more than carbonated drinks).

My boyfriend does not like hot drinks either, if he makes coffee for his morning he'll chill it down with ice cubes and such because he doesn't like hot coffeee. But yeah I like a nice cup of hot tea in the morning.