Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 5:07 pm

Uterus policing.Just what we need. :roll:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 6:42 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
An embryo/fetus is not the same thing as a sentient baby/child and if you knew basic biology you'd be aware of that. I am all for protecting children I just oppose forcing women to carry pregnancy to term to create one if they don't want.

Generally, it's a human with a future unless we intervene. Biology does not disagree with that.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Why is not getting an abortion if you don't want one and staying out of other people's uteruses such a hard concept for you?

Again I ask, try this with other acts. This is how you sound: why is not punching children in the face if you don't want to and staying out of other people's private business such a hard concept for you?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 7:32 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
You've hit on precisely why sentience is relevant. Elderly people are sentient people,

Evidence.

Please.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 8:29 pm

Mikah wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
An embryo/fetus is not the same thing as a sentient baby/child and if you knew basic biology you'd be aware of that. I am all for protecting children I just oppose forcing women to carry pregnancy to term to create one if they don't want.

Generally, it's a human with a future unless we intervene. Biology does not disagree with that.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Why is not getting an abortion if you don't want one and staying out of other people's uteruses such a hard concept for you?

Again I ask, try this with other acts. This is how you sound: why is not punching children in the face if you don't want to and staying out of other people's private business such a hard concept for you?

I know it's a human, but it is not yet a sentient baby or child, which biology does agree with.

And no one should be punching children obviously, as that hurts other people. Someone privately having an abortion does not effect anyone else.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 8:31 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Someone privately having an abortion does not effect anyone else.

Only the human you kill.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 8:39 pm

Mikah wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Someone privately having an abortion does not effect anyone else.

Only the human you kill.

Yes, the non-sentient human embryo/fetus...so how is that worse than eating meat from sentient animals that have been killed? Granted I support the idea of laboratory meat so nothing sentient has to be killed for food, but the world is not there yet and I'm no vegan.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 8:42 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yes, the non-sentient human embryo/fetus...so how is that worse than eating meat from sentient animals that have been killed? Granted I support the idea of laboratory meat so nothing sentient has to be killed for food, but the world is not there yet and I'm no vegan.

It's ending a human life prematurely, usually for selfish reasons. That the human may be unaware does not make it ok.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 10:39 pm

Mikah wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

It's ending a human life prematurely, usually for selfish reasons. That the human may be unaware does not make it ok.

I mean if it is unaware and cannot feel things what's the problem exactly? just that it has human dna soup inside.

Also, most abortions done for 'selfish' reasons such as simply not wanting pregnancy are done before there is even a fully developed fetus. It is mostly when women who want to have a child and experience complications that make the pregnancy more risky to continue that get abortions later in fetal development.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 1:06 am

AngelRho wrote:

There's no rule against posting links to fox news but there's also no rule requiring us to take them seriously.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 1:10 am

AngelRho wrote:
What I found interesting about this article is that Kaya Jones points to pressures within the music industry for pushing her to have an abortion.

You mean it's bad to put pressure on women in an attempt to control their bodies? Yes I agree.

But saying it's bad to pressure a woman to get an abortion when she doesn't want one but ok to pressure her to give birth when she doesn't to is proof this was never about women's autonomy or about freedom.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 1:19 am

AngelRho wrote:
As to being cruel and unusual, I’d say being put gently to sleep in most cases is better than what the criminal deserves. Victims of violent crimes are seldom afforded the same mercy.

No it's precisely what they deserve. Giving them a painful death would just be vindictive.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 1:21 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I mean if it is unaware and cannot feel things what's the problem exactly? just that it has human dna soup inside.

What's wrong with killing babies painlessly a few days after birth? I'm not asking rhetorically. For the sake of argument we can reasonably assume the killing causes the babies no suffering, be it physical pain or mental anguish.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 1:42 am

MissMary227 wrote:
I believe that the word of God in its original language is the perfect way to live, for everyone.

Which language is that?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 1:53 am

Mikah wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I mean why can't christians just opt not to have abortions, rather than trying to force it on the rest of it.

In the end according to their beliefs god is the final judge, so why not just leave it up to god to judge the 'sinful aborters'?

Try that argument for other crimes. Sometimes you have to protect children from the evil of their mothers.

There he goes shaming women :roll:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 2:21 am

AngelRho wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Many of the Founding Fathers were Deists who believed God created us, then felt like He had to stay out of human affairs.

Many probably were in-closet atheists. There were consequences for overt atheism in the 18th century.

The US was founded as one of the first fully secular nations.

If we allow religion to determine a government action, we would be no better than a theocratic state like Saudi Arabia.

We are free from having a government ESTABLISH a state religion.

Also free from having the government declare that an existing religion is the state religion.

If the government starts making laws based on any religion then there is a state religion.

AngelRho wrote:
We are not totally free OF religion. I believe that even the rights of atheists should be respected in the USA.

What do you mean, "even"?

AngelRho wrote:
But it's foolish to imagine that with so many people who do follow Christian faith in one form or another, or who have Christian values but aren't strictly speaking Christian themselves, that Christian faith doesn't enter into law at all.

I'm sure there are plenty of churches who would like to have control over law and government but be careful because it is a two way street. When you open the path for church to interfere with government you also open the path for the government to interfere with your church.

AngelRho wrote:
There's no escaping that before you have a voting majority actively opposed not only to religion but to anything that has any relationship to religion.

In a majority Christian country? Pull the other one!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 3:39 am

AngelRho wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
You've hit on precisely why sentience is relevant. Elderly people are sentient people,

Evidence.

Please.

What? Are you really asking for evidence that elderly people are sentient??? Or did you mean to ask a different question?