Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 10:38 am

Turner syndrome tied to autism

Interesting:

Quote:
About 61 percent of the participants had autism traits that affected their day-to-day social functioning, and 23 percent met the diagnostic criteria for autism. Those with the most significant autism traits were also more likely to meet criteria for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and anxiety, conditions that frequently co-occur with autism. The findings were published in December in Women’s Health.

I couldn't find the Women's Health article, but here is the study: Mental health and neurodevelopment in children and adolescents with Turner syndrome

They call the 0.04% rate of Turner Syndrome "rare". That doesn't sound that rare to me. It's about the same as the original rate of autism, coincidently.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 10:42 am

The incidence of autism is said to be about 1-2%—about 25 to 50 times the incidence of Turner Syndrome.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 11:42 am

Another thing tied to autism. How do we even live past 2 years old if every physical condition a human can possibly have is associated with autism? :?

Anyway I panicked about this but I looked at the physical symptoms of TS then done a full body check and turns out I don't have this. Phew.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 12:25 pm

It’s a chromosomal disorder. You would probably have been diagnosed with it in infancy or even right after birth.

You would also be like 4 1/2 feet tall. Your intelligence would be normal or above, though.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 3:48 pm

What Krafty said. The doctors woulda told your parents at birth. You would always have known about it, and it would be obvious you had it.

Our seventh grade Science teacher went through all of those sex chromosome screw ups in nature in that lesson I recall that day back in the late Sixties.

you're supposed to get two X chromosomes if you're a girl, and one X and one Y if you're a guy.

But some get only one X, and either no second X, or a chewed up version of the X (thats this Turner's thing). Some get one X and two Ys (super males), and so on. I forget the rest. But every mismatch you can imagine has some 'syndrome' name.

Any way- theyre all chromosomal mismatches. And they have nothing to do with actual autism even if they sometimes cause autism like symptoms.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 4:58 pm

^ Most disorders that can affect the cognitive functioning share traits of autism. Fragile-X alone typically shares a lot of common traits with autism, even if the person isn't autistic, such as hand-flapping, sensory issues and social communication difficulties.