Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2023, 10:29 am

Question: When one becomes a liberal, does their gut recoil in such disgust that they can no longer ingest basic food groups like dairy and wheat? :scratch:

Just wondering because I have noticed there is a severe correlation with left-leaning ideology and not being able to eat normal food anymore. And to then expect everyone else around you to avoid eating normal food too......

(sorry, triggered by a work pot-luck event today for a Covid nazi) :cheese:

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 10:54 am

Strange you should say that cos I've tried many different diets and just went back to a normal diet :D
I tried veganism even, didn't work.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 12:35 pm

I’m pretty much a total carnivore.

I have liberal leanings in my political ideology.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 3:05 pm

MissMary227 wrote:
Question: When one becomes a liberal, does their gut recoil in such disgust that they can no longer ingest basic food groups like dairy and wheat? :scratch:

Just wondering because I have noticed there is a severe correlation with left-leaning ideology and not being able to eat normal food anymore. And to then expect everyone else around you to avoid eating normal food too......

Probably just virtue signalling

Virtue signalling = look at me I'm so good maybe a better person than you because I'm doing this or support that, so you have to like and follow me

Its a 21st century version of the old religious virtue signallers who mentioned Jesus in every breath as a cover while doing bad or evil things, as Mark Twain once said “History never repeats itself, but it does often rhyme.”

I usually find there`s a linked relationship between intensity of virtue signalling and general nastiness of the person

Nothing against genuine vegetarians or vegans though

- George Bernie Shaw

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 5:04 pm

Some people have wheat allergies but I think the gluten free thing is overdone and a trend.
Some people avoid dairy and meat for health issues ,some for humane reasons.
I rarely buy meat or dairy, health and ethical reasons.I have a tendency to high cholesterol so it’s not a healthy choice for me.I will eat it occasionally at someone’s house or if it’s given to me.I also don’t like the way animals are treated.Feed lots are gross and inhumane and so are poultry houses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 10:26 pm

I don’t have an all-abiding irritation towards conservatives. Why do conservatives frequently want to, above anything else, “own the libs”?

What are the evils of being liberal, anyway?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 12:38 am

Gut problems are more common among people who are unhappy and surveys have found that conservatives are happier.
Why Are Liberals Less Happy Than Conservatives?

Quote:
Liberals, especially liberal women, are significantly less likely to be happy with their lives and satisfied with their “mental health,” compared to their conservative peers aged from 18-55. This is the big takeaway from the 2022 American Family Survey, a striking new poll from YouGov and the Deseret News, which found that liberals are about 15 percentage points less likely to be “completely satisfied” with their lives.

The survey goes on to find that liberals are about 19 percentage points less likely to be “completely satisfied” with their “mental health” than conservatives. But the problem appears to be especially acute for liberal women, who register the lowest levels of satisfaction with their lives and mental health. Indeed, only 15% of liberal women in the age group surveyed are “completely satisfied” with their lives, compared to 31% of conservative women; likewise, only 15% of liberal women are “completely satisfied” with their mental health, compared to 35% of conservative women.

Two family factors have a lot to do with this ideological gap: marital status and family satisfaction. Given that conservatives aged 18-55 are about 20 percentage points more likely to be married, as well as 18 percentage points more likely to be satisfied with their families, the lesson here is obvious. Marriage and family are strongly linked to happiness and to personal mental health in particular. 

While a number of other surveys have come to similar conclusions as would be expected not everyone is buying it.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 3:45 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Gut problems are more common among people who are unhappy and surveys have found that conservatives are happier.
Why Are Liberals Less Happy Than Conservatives?
Quote:
Liberals, especially liberal women, are significantly less likely to be happy with their lives and satisfied with their “mental health,” compared to their conservative peers aged from 18-55. This is the big takeaway from the 2022 American Family Survey, a striking new poll from YouGov and the Deseret News, which found that liberals are about 15 percentage points less likely to be “completely satisfied” with their lives.

The survey goes on to find that liberals are about 19 percentage points less likely to be “completely satisfied” with their “mental health” than conservatives. But the problem appears to be especially acute for liberal women, who register the lowest levels of satisfaction with their lives and mental health. Indeed, only 15% of liberal women in the age group surveyed are “completely satisfied” with their lives, compared to 31% of conservative women; likewise, only 15% of liberal women are “completely satisfied” with their mental health, compared to 35% of conservative women.

Two family factors have a lot to do with this ideological gap: marital status and family satisfaction. Given that conservatives aged 18-55 are about 20 percentage points more likely to be married, as well as 18 percentage points more likely to be satisfied with their families, the lesson here is obvious. Marriage and family are strongly linked to happiness and to personal mental health in particular. 

While a number of other surveys have come to similar conclusions as would be expected not everyone is buying it.

Reminds me of a book by Martin Selingman where he lists some factors that research has shown they positively influence life satisfaction. Those were: having a family, having close friends who will be there for you (community), and believing in a religion. Conservatives score higher in all three. And I mean it is obviously a healthier lifestyle, how many conservative drug addicts are out there for example?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 3:59 am

MissMary227 wrote:

Plenty of liberals and left-wingers can eat dairy and wheat.

If indeed there's a correlation between being being liberal or progressive and being unable to eat dairy and wheat, I would suspect that the causality goes primarily the other way: that being unable to eat dairy and wheat makes a person more likely to be liberal or leftist, rather than vice versa.

Why? Probably because people who can't eat dairy and wheat are just one more societally disadvantaged group, hence more likely to be sympathetic to other societally disadvantaged groups. They also are likely to desire social changes that would make their own lives easier, e.g. wider availability of a wider variety of foods that they are NOT allergic to.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 4:05 am

I grew up in the Twentieth Century when "Liberal" meant someone who voted for LBJ, or Hubert Humphrey.

Texas native LBJ liked his steaks so rare that one of his speechwriters (who spoke to our political club in high school) said that you would just lead the cow right up to his table, and he would carve his steak right out of the live cow (exaggeration of course). And Minnesotan Hubert Humphrey was all about consuming his state's dairy products.

So it surprises me that anyone would equate "Liberal" with "vegetarian/vegan".

But the opposite stereotype is probably closer to the truth:folks you meet who are vegan or vegetarian would likely also be political progressives. But not all.

Some folks claim to have 'become' Christian at particular moments. But you dont "become" liberal or become conservative, because some angel knocked you off your horse while you were on Rt. 27 to Damascus Maryland one day. You lean a certain way, and then gradually your beliefs evolve. So a meat eating liberal who believes in animal rights say, might decide one day to put their money where their mouth is and to stop buying the products of the livestock industry. And folks of every creed are motivated by virtue signaling. Greta would be more proud of me if I gave up meat then if I traded my gas car for an electric because eating meat contributes to global warming more than does driving a gas car.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 4:09 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
how many conservative drug addicts are out there for example?

Apparently there are plenty of opiod addicts who voted for Trump. See:

- The Opiates and the (Voting) Masses, JAMA Network, June 22, 2018.
- Analysis Finds Geographic Overlap In Opioid Use And Trump Support In 2016, NPR, June 23, 2018.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 4:42 am

I'm a lefty (generally) but I'm a carnivore

My sister is a conservative but she's an uber- vegan

She is doing more than I am to save the planet from global warming

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 5:54 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
how many conservative drug addicts are out there for example?

Apparently there are plenty of opiod addicts who voted for Trump. See:

- The Opiates and the (Voting) Masses, JAMA Network, June 22, 2018.
- Analysis Finds Geographic Overlap In Opioid Use And Trump Support In 2016, NPR, June 23, 2018.

Trump winning the election was such an upset liberals lost their mind and tried all sorts of outlandish arguments to explain their loss. I'm sorry but this articles are just ridiculous. "Those racist junkies are oppressing us." Lol

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 8:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
I'm a lefty (generally) but I'm a carnivore

My sister is a conservative but she's an uber- vegan

She is doing more than I am to save the planet from global warming

And she probably tells you that "climate change is a hoax" too! :lol:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jan 2023, 1:04 pm

Attacks on groups of people (including political groups) are against WrongPlanet rules.