Page 1 of 22 [ 342 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,249
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

13 Jan 2023, 4:24 pm

Thought this might be a good addition to the daily question threads, especially since it's intended to encourage self care, self reliance, proper nutrition, getting out of a depressive state and back to doing for yourself, learning to cook new things, eating better for less money than fast food or other alternatives etc.

So, that said, I'll start:

Sliced up a couple small potatoes and a couple onions, fried with evoo, salt, pepper, and garlic. Sliced up 1.5 chorizo sausages into the mix. Added a bit of butter on it on my plate and ate it with a side of beet & ginger sauerkraut. Made enough to have a 2nd meal later, too - especially since the 1.5 sausages were probably 40-45g of protein and the average human can only digest 26g at a time so it's better to split into 2 smaller meals vs. one big one.

Cost guesstimate around $6cdn for 2 meals. Tasted fantastic, waaaay healthier and more nutritious than fast food meals that are now a whopping ~$15 each for junk. Economize by buying in bulk so you can make many meals from groceries vs. buying only small amounts to prepare one meal at a time.

Bonus points to anyone who cooks up anything they grew or raised themselves! Best in freshness & nutrients for sure. 8)


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,965
Location: Missouri

13 Jan 2023, 5:33 pm

With the effects of ME/CFS and the energy burned yesterday going to the 30 miles away city to the neurology clinic for an overnight sleep study, the only thing I've 'cooked' today is that for lunch I microwaved a pair of chicken thighs from a big pack baked yesterday then refrigerated.


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011


FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 309
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 2,875
Location: I'm stuck in the dryer

13 Jan 2023, 6:40 pm

I didn't cook much today. I did food prep earlier in the week and I'm a bit burned out. I did, however, make breakfast. I had a few corn tortillas left (homemade and delicious) that I ripped up and pan fried before tossing in some shredded parmesan cheese. I had some sausage links cooking at the time. Once the tortillas and cheese were a little crispy, I cracked two eggs in there and scrambled the whole mess up, let it go until the eggs were just done. Added the sausages (they were done by then) and chopped up, let it go a minute longer. A lil salt and pepper and it was good to go.

I actually like to cook. I'm always surprised to hear people do not. As weird as this sounds, it doesn't seem to be a problem for me to cook and my executive function issues are a problem about everywhere else, but not in the kitchen it seems. I have no idea why that is, but I'm glad it is. Home cooked food is sooo much better, imho.



Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,245
Location: Texas

13 Jan 2023, 7:10 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Thought this might be a good addition to the daily question threads, especially since it's intended to encourage self care, self reliance, proper nutrition, getting out of a depressive state and back to doing for yourself, learning to cook new things, eating better for less money than fast food or other alternatives etc.

So, that said, I'll start:

Sliced up a couple small potatoes and a couple onions, fried with evoo, salt, pepper, and garlic. Sliced up 1.5 chorizo sausages into the mix. Added a bit of butter on it on my plate and ate it with a side of beet & ginger sauerkraut. Made enough to have a 2nd meal later, too - especially since the 1.5 sausages were probably 40-45g of protein and the average human can only digest 26g at a time so it's better to split into 2 smaller meals vs. one big one.

Cost guesstimate around $6cdn for 2 meals. Tasted fantastic, waaaay healthier and more nutritious than fast food meals that are now a whopping ~$15 each for junk. Economize by buying in bulk so you can make many meals from groceries vs. buying only small amounts to prepare one meal at a time.

Bonus points to anyone who cooks up anything they grew or raised themselves! Best in freshness & nutrients for sure. 8)

I cooked nothing today.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,492
Location: UK

13 Jan 2023, 7:14 pm

Uh, I despise these daily questions threads, but I'll post anyway.

I cooked pasta and cheese, my favourite meal. I added garlic and other herbs to keep my immune system protecting me from the everlasting cold that is going around at my work, but I will clean my teeth twice tonight to lessen the garlic smell on my breath.


_________________
Female


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,438
Location: Aux Arcs

13 Jan 2023, 7:26 pm

Stir fry with sesame oil, bok choy, mushrooms, carrots and tofu over jasmine rice with garlic chili sauce.
Pumpkin bread with pecans and dates.
The pumpkin was one I grew.
Sandwich with purple onion, mayo and some chicken strips from the local food pantry.
Most of veggies were organic.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,249
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

13 Jan 2023, 8:28 pm

Nice to read ppl do bother to cook vs eat processed carcinogens!

Nice to see Joe90 adding garlic for immunity. Same reason I added some to mine tdy.

Misslizzard wins so far, and maybe the entire thread for as long as it goes on lol - damn good cookin’ and eatin’ especially considering the $ budget you work within as shared elsewhere. Far too many people with very low food budgets falsely believe that they cannot afford to eat healthily and so eat junk instead. Total nonsense! With limited funds, make every penny count towards maximum nutrition/healthy variety & flavour. 8)


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,249
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

13 Jan 2023, 8:29 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I cooked nothing today.

Not even the books?? :D


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,438
Location: Aux Arcs

13 Jan 2023, 9:13 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Nice to read ppl do bother to cook vs eat processed carcinogens!

Nice to see Joe90 adding garlic for immunity. Same reason I added some to mine tdy.

Misslizzard wins so far, and maybe the entire thread for as long as it goes on lol - damn good cookin’ and eatin’ especially considering the $ budget you work within as shared elsewhere. Far too many people with very low food budgets falsely believe that they cannot afford to eat healthily and so eat junk instead. Total nonsense! With limited funds, make every penny count towards maximum nutrition/healthy variety & flavour. 8)

Thanks!Some veggies are reasonably cheap, carrots, cabbage, and stuff in season.I look for sales and buy some items in the larger size.Sesame oil is cheaper in a big jug.It gives a nice flavor so reduces the use of salt and has health benefits.Sometimes the local food pantry has decent stuff, sometimes not.I usually return or give away stuff I don’t use.Like Hamburger Helper, that’s just nasty.I also get the government commodities.It used to be mostly processed stuff but now they give out bags of nuts , dried fruit and healthier items.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,404
Location: the island of defective toy santas

15 Jan 2023, 12:56 am

only a handful of times in my life have i ever been accused of cooking something.



traven
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 30 Sep 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,809

15 Jan 2023, 1:59 am

carrots, beans & sausages, cherriepie



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 67,977
Location: Chez Quis

15 Jan 2023, 2:02 am

beef back ribs
jacket potatoes
honey glazed carrots
French beans



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,404
Location: the island of defective toy santas

15 Jan 2023, 2:34 am

i surely wish y'all could cook for me sometime. :chef:



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,438
Location: Aux Arcs

15 Jan 2023, 12:26 pm

/\ I would if I could.
I wasn’t that healthy yesterday.
A friend came over and we had dark rum and coffee and sat on porch smoking weed and talking politics.
All I made later was corn tortillas, chopped purple onion and food room chicken strips as the filling.Ate some more of the pumpkin bread.
The sub-zero weather a few weeks back killed all my garden greens. :(


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,249
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

15 Jan 2023, 1:30 pm

Yesterday morning was chorizo/onions/egg for breaky, smokies on the fire at the beach, heated up some frozen coconut battered prawns for a late night snack.

Ate some Aussie Bites tdy so far, might cook something soon hmm, gotta pickup and drop off a couple things for my cousin's covid household so will grocery shop a bit for here and maybe cook something later on in between doing homework & laundry.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,249
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

15 Jan 2023, 1:32 pm

auntblabby wrote:
only a handful of times in my life have i ever been accused of cooking something.

8O

What do you eat?

Got a stove/oven ? Bbq/fire pit outside? Gotta be a means of adding heat to food and cooking things up..


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.