Is the hipster scene still relevant in 2023?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 5:56 am

Now we have turned 2023 is the hipster culture/scene of the 2010s starting to fade and go out of fashion?

In the 2000s we had the emo scene which lasted from 2006-2012 and was then replaced by the hipster subculture.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 5:59 am

I've noticed the fashion is turning towards mullets. The hipster scene is thriving.

I live in an area with a lot of students though so my perspective is skewed. My "got dressed in a jumble sale" aesthetic fits in here.

The badly dyed bright hair is still going strong around here. I go to a hipster hairdresser who plays new wave and has a mullet fringe herself.

Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 6:23 am

I was a hipster back in 2007-2009. At that time it included limited edition Nike sneakers, fluo kids/blog house, dubstep (this was when it was still a British phenomenon from Croydon), neon color t-shirts, custom paintjob fixie bikes, neo-rave, etc.

I can't stand it these days, but I'm not exactly the target group anymore.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 9:46 am

Google's "blog house"...

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 3:12 pm

I'm not even sure what a hipster is. Some guy in black clothes wearing horn-rimmed glasses who hangs out in cafes, which for some reason makes them really obnoxious and horrible?

I'm no hipster, I'm not even sure who or what I am. A geek? A loser? A Karen? I'm white, middle-aged and female so I guess that makes me a Karen by default no matter what. :(

"Excuse me, but I would like to return this item I bought because it doesn't work." OKAY KAREN. :evil:

Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 8:32 am

hurtloam wrote:
Google's "blog house"...

We were all on blogspot back then, and you'd usually get your stuff from a blog some friend in touch with the scene recommended. There were also private forums on what would probably be called darknet these days where DJs would post their remixes for other DJs to play. Mainstream hipster was Digitalism, Daft and Justice. I left quite a lot of vinyl and CDs in Sweden before moving abroad, and apparently my niece digs them ...

I was at the first (legal) dubstep party in Sweden, about 300 people going nuts to Skream. 'Twas fun.

EDIT

Basically in 2008 hipster was this: