For gods sake give me some decent neighbours

Page 2 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 10:52 pm

It's always something with neighbors. And it's different where ever a person ends up. When I was younger and doing the apartment thing, it was loud music and parking. As I got older and could afford a house (in a bad neighborhood) it was people throwing trash in our yard and stealing. Now, it's people allowing their dogs to crap in the yards of others and not picking it up. I had an all out war with my immediate next door neighbor over the dog crap issue.

They had a dog and their yard was only partially fenced in. The part that confined the dog to the yard included their drive, so the dog was constantly pooping on the concrete. Everyday, like clockwork, I could hear them break out the shovel and scrape the poop up. For a while they were throwing it in a flower bed in our yard that needed cleaning out, I didn't see it. Once I cleaned it out and found out what they were up to I put a little fence around it. Next, they started leaving the gate to their fence cracked at night, in the morning the dog would slip out the gate and poop in our yard. This was everyday. I have an idea in my head of how people are supposed to conduct themselves in certain situations. I have a dog, when I walk her I pick up her poop. Even in an empty lot... Their yard smelled like a giant poop factory, by leaving the gate cracked I guess they thought they could claim that they didn't know the dog got out. I watched them leave it open, they knew what they were doing.

So, I got myself a large cooking spoon and started hurling the poop back over their fence. It landed on the hood of their cars, the roof, etc...Where ever it landed was fine by me, the way I saw it I was returning their property. My husband finally went over and said, "my wife is furious!" They claimed the dog snuck out, of course it snuck out, they left the gate open. We had a few years of peace after the dog passed away, she was older. But, then they got a new dog. They started doing the same thing to other people farther on up our street, in return the people started throwing the entire blue bag of poop they had picked up back into their yard. Maybe one day they will learn, but in the meantime, other homeowners are all to happy to return to sender.

People, in general, are as*holes. Inconsiderate, loud, filthy as*holes.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 7:47 am

I got woken up by their banging last night - and I had earplugs in. I think they were playing with the brat - spinning it around, drumming their hands on the floor to make it laugh, etc. This was at nearly midnight. Seriously?

Rule of thumb: Never put a baby near me, whether it's in public or living in the apartment next to me. As a childless person who ain't got time for babies or their parents (unless I know them, ie family), I will complain and act like one of those entitled childless people who think I know best at how to parent your baby quietly and will come up with ifs, buts, ands, maybes and shoulds like parenting is the easiest thing in the world. I'm not a parent so I would never know. But I also don't wish to have to put up with other people's babies either (unless I know them), and I really wish I could move to a bungalow, but we're struggling financially and where we live now is cheap enough for us to afford, so we have to stay put.

Living there is causing me severe stress and anxiety though. We've spoken to them politely about their noise but it's not made any difference.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 8:09 am

my ndn keeps chatting me up and getting on my nerves

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2023, 9:43 am

Buy a thick curtain and close it when people annoy you again with their noises. The thicker the curtain, the more noise it will filter out. I have one in my bedroom. Bonus: It doesn't let light through. Filtering out noise and light improves sleep quality.

You could also buy noise filtering foam and put it on your walls. It will stop sound waves coming from outside from reflecting around in your room.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 11:52 am

beady wrote:
KitLily wrote:
However I poured a jug of water onto his car roof one morning and he apologised for being loud and didn't do it again.

Is the water to get rid of frost?
Did you mention the podcast noise?
How did he know to stop?
Just curious.

The water was to make a noise on his car roof to get him to realise he was making too loud a noise listening to his radio/podcasts at such a high volume. I was not going to go outside in my nightie or shout out of the window at 5am in the morning. Also if I'd shouted out, I'd wake the whole street and they would not be happy.

He immediately stopped playing the loud music when he heard the water banging on his car roof.

We'd had enough. Every morning at 4 or 5am he'd sit in his car listening to loud podcasts right outside our bedroom window when we were trying to sleep.

Later that day I saw him and asked if he'd noticed when I poured the water on his car (it was cold, clean water, nothing weird) to make him stop the noise. He said he'd noticed the water, it made him jump and realise he was being too loud.

I told him that our bedroom window was right above his car and could he please be more quiet in the morning? He apologised and said yes of course and he has never done it again. I had met him before though and knew him, so that made it easier.

The reason I chose cold water to pour is that it is not a crime. The police would just laugh if someone complained about me pouring cold water on their car roof.

It worked brilliantly because he keeps quiet now.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 7:00 pm

I just can't live like this any more with the constant thumping above and always having to have my ears plugged all the time. The last time we had company round we had to go and sit in the bedroom because the f*****s upstairs were making too much noise. We shouldn't have to be driven out of our own living-room every day because of them f**ktards upstairs can't sit down ever.

I wish they'd just drop dead and nobody knew so there'd be an empty apartment up there forever with no noise. OK I can't wish death upon a baby, so I wish they'd coincidentally drop dead while the baby is with a relative and that relative adopts him and loves him.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 7:42 pm

i wish my neighbour next door would drop dead or at least go and pester a different woman
he knows i have a boyfriend

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 8:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I just can't live like this any more with the constant thumping above and always having to have my ears plugged all the time. The last time we had company round we had to go and sit in the bedroom because the f*****s upstairs were making too much noise. We shouldn't have to be driven out of our own living-room every day because of them f**ktards upstairs can't sit down ever.

I wish they'd just drop dead and nobody knew so there'd be an empty apartment up there forever with no noise. OK I can't wish death upon a baby, so I wish they'd coincidentally drop dead while the baby is with a relative and that relative adopts him and loves him.

Sounds like a very bad situation .. So please do not think me badly for suggesting some bose queit comfort ear buds
They are noise canceling technology . approx. 100 USD. So figuring that maybe that amount of money might be
put towards a 50 % noise reduction in your environment. Am realizing that they also take out voice in your environment . Pretty much everything is in whisper mode. Took me two years to believe to try a set , And the can blue tooth from a phone aswell or whatever . Surprisingly effective. And am old school for sound stuff.

where ever you go ,there you are

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

17 Jan 2023, 8:19 am

Previous flat (rented) - Upstairs was a young couple who sounded like they were the prototype for Joe's neighbors. One entertainment was their washing machine overflowing, leaving a large damp patch on the ceiling. That was fun, watching green water dripping through.

Next upstairs was a clumping Irishman who seemed permanently drunk, until one day he died.
I heard him fall and it was only in the following days of silence I realised something must have happened; some people then arriving to remove the body kinda confirmed it.

The next tenant was almost completely silent. Bliss. They do exist!

Downstairs were a young couple with a child, rather prone to crying at all hours.

Next were a couple who walked out of their tenancy after inviting in some squatters.
Loud parties at all hours and several police visits. They were eventually turfed out leaving a parting gift of dog poo smeared over the walls and around the (communal) front door. Well, we assumed it was from a dog.
Fortunately through family connections my current flat became available and I moved out soon after. With speed.

Current flat (owned) - I'm on the top floor (of two) and well-insulated from the premises on one side, with a landing separating me from the other side. Very quiet, just how I like it.

Downstairs I've had a single mother - not too bad, about as you'd expect with a young child. It helps to get to know neighbors too: that seems to make them a little more caring.

Next was a Scottish guy and his late teens son. Both were fine, but he was prone to the occasional "night at the movies" when I got treated to the very loud soundtrack.

Next (current) is a Turkish couple with three boys - early/late teens and a toddler who is Autistic. No issues and surprisingly, given the numbers, very little noise.
She's very nice, the boys are quaintly polite (holding open the door for me etc) and the toddler is cute. One time out in the communal yard he'd arranged several toys around himself in order of size and color.
That made me smile... :lol:

But it's a running wish that I had a property surrounded by a few wooded acres.
Having close neighbors is far too much a hit-and-miss affair.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 1:59 pm

People are always advising me to wear earplugs and headphones and put on white noise but it's not always as simple as that. Headphones are the best thing that work but there are some activities I need to do where hearing sound is important so I seriously can't have sound blocked out 24/7.
White noise does not mask the bangs and thumps they make up there.
I can't sleep with headphones on as they're too bulky, but earplugs don't stop me hearing their ugly banging.

We've spoken politely to them and they haven't listened so I think the next thing is to tell the landlords and maybe they can install some sound insulation or something. These c***s are a nightmare to live below.

Last night I was woken by a sudden loud tapping noise coming from up there, like they're banging a nail into something or knocking on something. Just irritating noises that sound so unnecessary and disturbs us. It makes me feel so angry. :x

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 2:26 pm

No, I wouldn't say that you are jinxed as a lot of renters tend to engage in that type of behavior you are talking about. I am a homeowner and I live in a condo complex we have had quite a few renters who have been troubled which our HOA board has had to deal with.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 6:29 am

It's potluck isn't it, with neighbours. Like a lottery :roll:

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 6:47 am

Yes, I am always suspicious of neighbours when I move in somewhere. Why did the last tenant move out? There's a housing shortage in this country so lot of the time they move out for a reason. In this case there's been aggro between the last tenant and one of the neighbours which I'm guessing is the woman upstairs who's already been down twice complaining about my noise when I hardly make any so I'm treading very carefully with them to try and avoid any more conflict.

In the long term I'm on the council waiting list for a bungalow as I think that will suit me better.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 7:17 am

My mum had some crazy neighbours, they had 5 cars which they parked all over the place including in front of her house. They were rude, noisy, banging and shouting all the time, insulting my mum and leaving her rude notes. She was glad to move away from them. And the people who bought my mum's house did extensive renovation on it, so they were the ones banging and shouting :lol: The crazy neighbours didn't like that :lol:

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 10:49 am

I've lived in horrible dumps and lived next door to some absolute animals, I couldn't go to the shops without fear of having somebody threaten me or shout something and could never relax at home knowing the loud music could start at any time day or night, so I really appreciate where I am now. I literally cannot cope sharing a wall with other people. I'm scarred for life by those bad experiences, I'm super noise sensitive.

If you're in a flat or renting a terrace/semi then there's probably less maintenance issues, which is the one big headache for me now. Some very sketchy builders were doing work next door for a couple of days recently and they were banging on my doors and windows, practically demanding I speak to them - no doubt to tell me numerous things need urgently fixing, but the more they persisted the more I was determined to ignore them. I worry they're going to come back though.

My biggest fear is that I'm going to be forced to move out and go back to living somewhere awful again.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 12:43 pm

Neighbours went out for a bit for once and now the gobby bastard is shooting his mouth off non stop. I think he might have ADHD hyperactive type.

Have just put in some bids on flats as I'm fed up of him and his annoying gf.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).