For gods sake give me some decent neighbours

Page 5 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 8:51 am

My neighbours are being quite nice at the moment. I think the flat above might have had a go at them. :)

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Last edited by Rossall on 14 Feb 2023, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 8:51 am

I've heard LOTS of arguments. Never has even an ambulance been called :)

But I get your concern.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 10:04 am

KitLily wrote:
But I didn't want to find out the next morning that they'd murdered each other.

I was in a house a stone's throw away from where somebody was murdered in the middle of the night. I slept through it, woke up the next morning to find the road blocked with several police cars. So many that I was half expecting to hear a police chief with a megaphone negotiating a hostage release or a controlled detonation of a terrorist's home made bomb. It was almost a relief when I found out that it was 'merely' a case of a dealer being shot dead by a rival gang member. It always felt a little uncomfortable though walking past that house afterwards knowing somebody had been killed there.

Also lived a few doors down from somebody who committed suicide. I was probably having my dinner at the moment she did it, completely unaware that somebody so nearby was going through the absolute pits of despair. I wonder if the people who live there now have any idea what happened in that bedroom. I think I'd have trouble sleeping in a room in which something like that had occurred.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 11:39 am

My upstairs neighbours have had physical fights up there before. It sounded like they were throwing each other across the room, then I heard the woman really screaming and crying. I thought they were going to come through the ceiling, but we were also concerned about domestic abuse going on up there. But we didn't know whether it was a good idea to intervene or not, so we didn't.

I think my boyfriend is a bit afraid of the man. No, my boyfriend isn't a gutless p****, he just doesn't want trouble or conflict. I don't either, but I think if I had my way I would take action, in a responsible way.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 11:48 am

If you think there is domestic violence call the cops.Can you do an anonymous tip?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 8:39 am

Misslizard wrote:
If you think there is domestic violence call the cops.Can you do an anonymous tip?

Exactly. That was my worry- that they were hurting each other. I couldn't do an anonymous tip as we are in a semi detached house with our neighbours and we're probably the only one who heard them.

But I know John and I'd be willing to say to him, 'look it was me who called the police, I am not having you two killing each other thanks!'

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 8:43 am

lostproperty wrote:
I was in a house a stone's throw away from where somebody was murdered in the middle of the night. I slept through it, woke up the next morning to find the road blocked with several police cars. So many that I was half expecting to hear a police chief with a megaphone negotiating a hostage release or a controlled detonation of a terrorist's home made bomb. It was almost a relief when I found out that it was 'merely' a case of a dealer being shot dead by a rival gang member. It always felt a little uncomfortable though walking past that house afterwards knowing somebody had been killed there.

Also lived a few doors down from somebody who committed suicide. I was probably having my dinner at the moment she did it, completely unaware that somebody so nearby was going through the absolute pits of despair. I wonder if the people who live there now have any idea what happened in that bedroom. I think I'd have trouble sleeping in a room in which something like that had occurred.

That is quite a coincidence. Last year there was a fire down our road with fire engines and police cars in the middle of the night. We slept through the whole thing. Even though our neighbour John heard it and was running round helping out. He couldn't understand why we hadn't heard. :oops:

And years ago I noticed police cars down the road one morning with a post office van. The postwoman had gone to deliver a letter and found the house occupant swinging from a home-made noose in the porch! She was traumatised of course. But I felt awful- this man had been suicidal yards away and I didn't know.

So the year after that I started sending Christmas cards to my immediate neighbours. You never know who might value a friendly card eh!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 11:29 am

Misslizard wrote:

They'll probably know it was us because we're the only ones who can hear them. The stairwell is in between us and next door, same layout upstairs too, so that blocks out noise from neighbours either side, but unfortunately the people above are the only ones we're joined on to and we're the only ones they're joined on to.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 11:49 am

KitLily wrote:
lostproperty wrote:

That is quite a coincidence. Last year there was a fire down our road with fire engines and police cars in the middle of the night. We slept through the whole thing. Even though our neighbour John heard it and was running round helping out. He couldn't understand why we hadn't heard. :oops:

And years ago I noticed police cars down the road one morning with a post office van. The postwoman had gone to deliver a letter and found the house occupant swinging from a home-made noose in the porch! She was traumatised of course. But I felt awful- this man had been suicidal yards away and I didn't know.

So the year after that I started sending Christmas cards to my immediate neighbours. You never know who might value a friendly card eh!

Dear Kitlily it warms my heart that you would do such a thing in your community . Years ago living in a semi arid area . Had a small uninhabited cabin behind our home .. And noticed a older thin man living there, by hisself
an noticed after montgs, he had almost no visitors, no car . So to open a dialog, we had decided to give him a christmas card in person. With in three months he had made friends with some known Sociopaths , Soon it was back to no contact, inspite of outpr occassional waves , Soon thereafter with a few montgs he was coming onto our property climbing over fences to search our prooerty to look for things to carry off. Caught him quite by accident one day. Called the police , we were never calked to appear to make eitness to what hapoened and this man started further misbehaving digging holes under neath our fence, when we were away from home. We started getting repeated wild animals showing up . because it was very hard to keep up with the ongoing damages to our property .

Do please be careful to those you might befriend...? :roll: imho

where ever you go ,there you are

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2023, 11:55 am

Joe90 wrote:
Same with me. Whoever moves in above us always has some sort of OCD that makes them clean and vacuum all the time, insomnia that makes them awake all night bomping about, and agoraphobia where they very seldom leave their home. And if they have a baby it always has to be the miserable sort that doesn't stop screaming.

f**k neighbours. I hate them. If I was rich I would move far away from any human noise.

Your main problem are the engineers, archtictects, realtors and policy creators.

You have no control over random neighbors but you do have control on soundproofing materials. It is important to spread awareness and stronger policies towards forcing engineers, architects and realtors to comply to specifications. The other day I spoke to someone in the business and they told me tat people are cutting costs in order to increase profits of capitalisms and that in some ways the wall quality provided to consumers has been regressing.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 12:59 pm

^^^ Agrees with above ^^^ for city living. .

where ever you go ,there you are

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Feb 2023, 8:19 am

My neighbour is an old alcoholic who shouts instead of talking, and I'm pretty sure that the wall separating our living rooms is so thin that I could walk through it if I tried. I hate noise – I consider it an invasion of my living space – so I have to wear these headphones all day, but it's uncomfortable and also makes me feel disconnected from reality.

On the contrary, my last girlfriend lived in a flat that was converted from somewhat older housing, and the insulation there is vastly better despite the fact that the downstairs flat was originally part of the same house. Newer flats are built as cheaply as possible. Ultimately it's another symptom of capitalism devouring society, where it can.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 11:07 pm

Noiseproofing in here is crap so I've got some Sennheiser CX300ii noise cancelling earphones which are working well so far.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225228007489 ... 4170203865

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 7:19 am

We suggested to the landlords if they can install some sound insulation or something but they said it probably wouldn't make any difference. They were probably just saying that because they don't want to pay out to install it, but it's unfair because it is causing me distress and having an affect on my mental health. It's not just the sporadic inevitable banging you'll typically hear in any apartment, it's loud and constant. People don't believe me when I say this, they think I'm being hyperbolic. But if you stay in our apartment for a whole day you'll know that I'm not exaggerating. It really is constant, the only time they're quiet is when they go to bed at around 2.30am to about 6.30am, then they're up again, thumping and banging as soon as they get out of bed to the time they get back into bed. So that's about 20 hours of bang, bomp, crash, thump, knock, bump, rumble, scrape, stomp.
People say it's just the baby but they were making the sound banging noises before the baby was born, and the other day there was so much banging noise going on above the living-room but my boyfriend had been in the bedroom and said he heard the baby crying directly above him.

I'm just hoping they'll move, but I have a feeling they won't because of how cheap the rent is (which is why we haven't moved). But it's not really ideal to have a family in an upstairs apartment. I'm hoping one of the other tenants will do a swap (the guy next door would be ideal to live below, because he lives on his own and is out at work a lot of the time so we would barely hear any noise). I wish me and my boyfriend could swap with them but he doesn't want to live upstairs because of his bad knees climbing the stairs.

Me and my boyfriend call them "bonkers" (not to their face) because they're bonking (another word for banging loudly) in such annoying, consistent, odd ways.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 1:25 am

What are the floors and ceilings constructed of?

There are definitely a variety of sound insulation, flooring underlay, and ceiling materials that are made to reduce sound travelling between floors as much as possible. Several kinds of insulation to fill the “drum,” space, vinyl roll stock that can go before drywall or between layers of drywall, resilient channel that can suspend drywall away from joists, acoustic sealant, double layered 5/8” drywall and some other products + good thick flooring underlay - foam or cork etc etc and of course combining several of them gets better results.

But like you said the owners don’t want to spend the kind of money it would take to do a renovation like that. Would cost thousands to tens of thousands depending on the flooring type, how many of the above options they chose to combine, how big the place is etc.. could easily cost 20 grand.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 11:04 am

There has to be sound blocking insulation they could use.When I took music lessons you couldn’t hear what was going on in those rooms.Also movie theaters use it so you can’t hear the movie playing in the next theatre.
Silly they don’t use it in all apartments.