Watching a movie when someone keeps burping

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 2:50 pm

My cousin wants me to bring some of my DVDs to her place so we can watch them together, as I suggested the emotional dramas I am into to her and she wants to see them. The movies I'm talking about are serious and are the type you have to listen to to get the gist of it and feel the emotions of the characters (these movies have literally made me cry).
But my cousin often drinks soda drinks while watching movies, like I do, but unlike me it makes her let out Maurice LaMarche burps that are so distracting and gross and sort of shatter the mood you're supposed to be feeling when watching sad/emotional movies.

She thinks the burps are funny but it just grosses me out, although I don't express that to her. I don't really burp, so I can down a whole bottle of soda and not burp. But my cousin has always been a burper and soda drinks makes her do the biggest burps ever that vibrate the room. God knows how she controls that when she goes to the cinema.

I feel it's awkward or socially inappropriate to tell her not to burp but it really grosses me out when I'm trying to get into a serious movie and you got someone next to you burping loudly in your ear.

What would you do?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 2:59 pm

I'd just not watch the movie with her in the first place. She probably does it because she knows it grosses you out, so just leave and see how bewildered she is at why you just got up and left her alone. I don't why you have to watch movies with other people anyway, I hate doing that. It always makes me very uncomfortable for some reason, even they don't say or do anything. I can only really enjoy shows or videos when I'm alone.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 3:05 pm

I like watching movies with people. I watch them alone first then I suggest them to others and I like to watch them with them.

I don't show that it grosses me out. It's just how I feel inwardly. I just ignore it, but sometimes I feel my face goes red with embarrassment (even though I'm not the one burping), but I don't think she looks at my face to notice that, if we're in a dark room looking at a screen. I think some people want a reaction when they burp or fart but I never give a reaction.

As a non-burper myself I am unaware of how burps work, so maybe I'm wrong if I expect people to control them more in company when drinking soda. But I still think people doing those big aaaaooooooooooooooooooooooooooo burps is unnecessary. They could at least put their hand over their mouth to at least muffle it a little, just to show some dignity.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 3:23 pm

when i watched movies in the evening with my husband i sometimes kept breaking wind as in out the bottom but i didnt make a big deal about it i just kept a blanket round me to stop the smell a bit and i sat in a position where i could release it quietly and i said pardon me if it came out loud but still concentrated on the movie without too much ado

as with burps i find that hard to control but i still dont do big burps like your cousin
i went to the cinema in the week with my new boyfriend and i had juice but couldnt help a burp every so often but i just put my hand over my mouth and tried letting it out as politely as possible and whispering pardon me
if i feel a burp is going to be big then i try and hold it in if if im in company but this cant always be controlled if i hiccup
this can be embarrassing in restaurants but i dont do it shamelessly like some people do

the only thing is people look at me surprised because some seem to believe that pretty women arent supposed to burp

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 4:06 pm

i would just say im not watching the movies with her if she is going to burp, then see what she says

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 4:28 pm

A sarcastic, "Pardon you!" Might do the trick. Might make her laugh more though.

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2023, 5:33 pm

well first i want to say the the human body is weird indeed i care to say and females are based off men so that's what i believe so we are all human after all it's ok to burp. like I have been saying everything's always been old school you can check out my thread if you care to and so again I believe my theory that females are based off men or we are all human. It's like my sister who looks like me shaved and long hair. that is weird the human body is weird and who knows if men were created 1st. It's like the chicken or the egg. Also obviously sex isnt everything or sex is not the end all be all like computers or digital stuff because everything's always been old school. Also Everybody has cheating thoughts in life. There are so many too hot or sexy humans on this planet. I also don't see myself having kids maybe I will adopt kids and why bring kids in this world when everything's always been old school? I am still a virgin at 27 almost 28 years old and no born again virgin bs. People have free will in life obviously when everythings always been old school. So people for instance have free will to not pro create or have sex. I know we got to pro create to keep the human species alive but again pople have free will. I talk more about all this in my thread. Also It's ok to burp while watching let's say the imitation game which is a ww2 holocaut movie which is serious even though it's weird to burp when it's a serious movie. I like Benedict Cumberbatch as Alan Turing and Alan Turing invented or engineered the 1st computer or digital stuff in ww2. My thread everything's always been old school talks about alan turing.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=410854&p=9212699#p9212699