Can you understand poetry as a person on the spectrum?

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 1:56 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Does Dr. Seuss count as poetry? :lol:

When we were younger my brother liked to write poems that made zero sense and annoy me to death by reading them and sadistically enjoying my irritation and confusion. He said real poems never rhyme and always have some really deep meaning that you're not supposed to get the first time you read them. I think this was his way of telling me I was slow, inferior and uncultured or whatever. Good times. :roll:

Thats unfortunate.

The play "Twelve Angry Men" is a great play. BUT... I have permanent hatred of it because I associate the play with a bad humiliating moment in Eighth Grade.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 2:42 pm

I love poetry and have no problems understanding it. I majored in literature in college.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 8:29 am

I think I understand them and appreciate them. Of course if you think about poetry that's not enough, you have to feel them.:D One needs enough emotions, vulnerability or chaos in their personality to feel deeply. I don't get those days very much.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 1:27 pm

I think many poets are on the spectrum. That is what makes them good poets.

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2023, 7:13 pm

Only pretty simple ones. Which is really weird. I really enjoy deep novels with hidden layers and meanings more than what's stated. But it hard for me to get it without someone explaining, which makes me feel dumb. Which is weird again, because writing and language arts is one of the things people think I'm most talented in. I hyper fixate while reading and got put in GT because of that category.
I like writing poetry and any adult I've ever shown my poetry has complemented it in some way and thought it was deep and complicated, even when it wasn't particularly supposed to be. I still don't even like reading poetry, because of the annoying overanalyzing, that makes me feel like I don't understand it, and also because the majority of poetry just doesn't make any sense and people are reading way too much into it.

"Really? I'd like to meet him."

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 1:04 pm

I can understand some poetry though not all of it, in fact I used to be able to write poetry in fact; however after a traumatic brain injury several years ago, I'm no longer able to do that.