Can you understand poetry as a person on the spectrum?

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 3:12 am

renaeden wrote:
I don't understand poetry that doesn't rhyme.

I do love 'Ode to Spot' by Lieutenant Commander Data in Star Trek: The Next Generation:

Felis Catus
is your taxonomic nomenclature
An endothermic quadruped
carniverous by nature
Your visual, olfactory,
and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills
and natural defenses.
I find myself intrigued
by your sub-vocal oscillations
A singular development
of cat communications
That obviates your
basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur
to demonstrate affection.
A tail is quite essential
for your acrobatic talents
You would not be so agile
if you lacked its counterbalance
And when not being utilized
to aid in locomotion
It often serves to illustrate
the state of your emotion
Oh Spot,
The complex levels of behavior you display
Denote a fairly well developed cognitive array
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

I like it :)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 3:14 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
My teachers in English class would often enjoy my poetry work. Unfortunately, to the degree of making me read out my poems to the class as an example.

I used to get my English writing read out in class in middle school. As a kid I never understood why my peers struggled to draw or write the details of a place, nature or an object.

It's as if there was a rule that everyone sticks to a particular standard. I lost interest in drawing and writing when I didn't want to appear strange. Usual childish stigma.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 3:18 am

I don’t like reading or writing dialogue because our words seldom represent what we’re really thinking. It always seems stilted.

Poetry is music to my ears. Once you find the metre the rest should flow effortlessly.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 3:22 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don’t like reading or writing dialogue because our words seldom represent what we’re really thinking. It always seems stilted. .

I think you mean words fail to capture how we are feeling. The English language is limited in its capacity to do this.

Poetry combined with art and music comes closer to that ideal

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 3:32 am

Other examples of art music and poetry hitting home at how one might be feeling Vs words alone

submariner7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2023, 8:32 pm

There are many different types of poetry. Rhyme is easy - nothing to understand, really.

Most poetry is written in verse. That gives it structure, which makes it easier to analyze. This can help us recognize things like imagery and metaphor.

As a student of ancient history, I learned that most Hebrew and Greek poetry was written in repeating patterns called parallelisms. It could be a straight parallelism (ABCABC) or a chiasm (ABCCBA). I found that I have a talent for recognizing these patterns. I wrote about the poetry I found in Genesis in my book, Return to Genesis (Amazon).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 8:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don’t like reading or writing dialogue because our words seldom represent what we’re really thinking. It always seems stilted. .

I think you mean words fail to capture how we are feeling. The English language is limited in its capacity to do this.

No, I mean I don't like reading or writing dialogue because our words seldom represent what we're really thinking. It always seems stilted.

Dialogue between characters is difficult to interpret because people don't say what they're thinking. It's normal for people or characters to have a persona or speak differently than their thoughts depending on the context. There are always layers of nuance that I have to interpret when reading, or create when writing conversations.

I think most other forms of written language (descriptive, poetry, prose, essay, critique, non-fiction), especially by classicists and philosophers, convey what we're thinking on a very deep level. That doesn't require the added level of dialogue and interpretation. Nothing against dialogue for character development of course, but I find it very difficult to interpret.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 8:57 pm

Conventional poetry is fine - haiku is crap.

Haiku has no meter or rhythm or rhyme, just a format.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 11:28 pm

old_comedywriter wrote:

Haiku is fine ...in Japanese. But not in any other language including English. The format fits the structure of the Japanese language.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 1:56 am

I can understand and enjoy a lot of poetry. I have little trouble getting metaphors, though not all poetry is metaphorical. I remember as a child disliking metaphors - I probably had a more concrete way of thinking in those days but I got better at understanding metaphors as I grew older. So I can do both now. I suppose I'll always be better at precise literal and concrete communication, but I can do the other stuff fairly well, and it does seem to add something good to life. Which is more appropriate depends on the reason for the communication. Metaphor is more about playing with words, usually, but sometimes it gets a point across better than literal stuff, so it can be quite functional too. It's very good to play, as long as that's not all you do.

I usually prefer poetry with a strict meter and accurate rhyming, but sometimes I notice exceptions that seem better. I like things that break rules in a good way.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 2:21 am

The once was a poet named Issy
Whose deft use of words made us dizzy
She wrote dirty puns
Which were second to none
And she twisted our pubic hairs frizzy

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 2:23 am

The limerick's form is complex
Its topics run chiefly to sex.
It's famous for virgins
And masculine urgin's
And vulgar erotic effects.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 6:12 am

poetry is almost always about emotion and it is very very difficult and upsetting to me. I was trained to suppress and hide my emotions for most of my life and exposing them in any way scares, upsets, and overwhelms me. I understand it but I don't read it because it upsets me too much. I avoid violent sounds and images as well, for the same reason. I am too easily overwhelmed by emotions of others and my reaction to them. I seem to have no emotional thermostat that allows me to view or read things that happen to others, even if imaginary, and to be able to tell myself things like "its only a movie" or when viewing horrifying content to tell myself it happened long ago and the person is no longer suffering, etc. it simply doesn't work. So instead I avoid most media and other input such as poetry, sick and twisted books, graphic stuff, etc.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 11:54 am

I think poetry is about awareness more than feeling.
It's an awareness of the environment, of sensation, of time and space and thought.
Good poets don't even name emotions.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 3:06 pm

old_comedywriter wrote:

Poetry doesn't have to follow any single set of rules to be appreciated though. A haiku can still be very effective even if it breaks from certain rules that are normal in other forms.

Lyrical poetry follows different rules than limericks, they're both different from sonnets or from rap verses.

Rap verses typically rely on multi-syllable rhymes, wordplays and a setup/punchline format compared to some other types of poetry. Multi-syllable rhymes tend to be looser than strong rhymes.

Pay attention to how Jason Hunter is almost using syllables like they're drums.

Or how Mathers repeatedly verges on holorime.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 12:29 pm

Does Dr. Seuss count as poetry? :lol:

When we were younger my brother liked to write poems that made zero sense and annoy me to death by reading them and sadistically enjoying my irritation and confusion. He said real poems never rhyme and always have some really deep meaning that you're not supposed to get the first time you read them. I think this was his way of telling me I was slow, inferior and uncultured or whatever. Good times. :roll: