Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Princess Viola
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2023, 10:18 pm

Hey y'all, been lurking this place for about a week-ish or so now and I finally decided to actually join these boards.

My name's Viola, I'm 26 years old and I've fairly recently been able to admit to myself that I'm autistic after having struggled with imposter syndrome for literal months. Because of my lack of insurance (and just not being able to find anyone around me who specializes in adult autism diagnosis), I am self-diagnosed (I hope that doesn't matter here), but my self-diagnosis has come after over a year of in-depth research into the autism, how it relates to my own experiences going back to childhood, etc. I didn't just take a random online autism test and go 'Well I'm autistic, this test says I am.', y'know?

Anyways other than that I guess maybe I should say a few things I'm interested in? Well I'm into:
- Vintage computers and technology (primarily 80s and 90s stuff, I got a couple of 80s TVs and a late 90s computer at my other house)
- Video gaming (I like both retrogaming and modern gaming, but I tend to always go more towards the older stuff, y'know? Think most modern stuff I play is either retro-inspired or it's in a series I know I like already)
- 80s Japanese culture
- Japanese superhero shows
- Magical girl anime (like Sailor Moon)
- Toys and action figures (primarily Transformers, Power Rangers, and anime toys and figures, admittedly)
- Trains (Both real trains and fictional trains - and by fictional trains I mean Thomas the Tank Engine - who cares that I'm a grown adult, I'm allowed to enjoy things)

I kind of felt like posting some things I'm not into here, but why bother? My view is always focus on what you like and not what you dislike. (I will say I can't stand bigotry and bigots though, but who does and that's also not really an interest/lack of interest)

Oh yeah, I don't know if this is a 'normal' thing to post in your introduction post - but while I am non-binary, I actually use both she/her and they/them pronouns because, to be a bit more specific, I'm transfeminine non-binary (and I also don't mind if you were to refer to me as a woman because of that)

I guess that's it, really. Can't think of anything else of import to say about me here, but I am looking forward to participating on these forums (Oh I guess I can also add I very much love internet forums and every day I bemoan their gradual decline in usage in the face of social media or Discord, and I use the latter two a lot but they and forums all serve their own unique purposes)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 10:36 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 11:13 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find it to be a nice planet to frequent.

An official diagnosis is not required. Nor is Autism or suspicion of Autism required. An interest in the topic seems like a good idea though.

And difficulty getting an official diagnosis is kind of common here. If you don't have insurance then I can understand getting a diagnosis could be a problem. And when I was looking for a psychologist to assess me I didn't find any whose listing said they specialized in adult autism assessments. I think adult autism assessments must be not too common. I looked for psychologists who took someone my age and who worked with Autism...and then I had to call to find out if they would do an assessment. (And the person who answered the phone didn't know, they had to check and call me back!)

If you're not seeking medical care or formal accommodations, though, then I would think getting a formal assessment could wait. If you are pretty sure you are on the Autism Spectrum then you could read up about it on the Internet...it might not have any official status but you'd still be learning about yourself.

But, definitely Welcome!

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 11:55 pm

Mae Govannen!

Welcolm to WP, Viola! :)

Princess Viola
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2023, 12:11 am

Double Retired wrote:
An official diagnosis is not required. Nor is Autism or suspicion of Autism required. An interest in the topic seems like a good idea though.

Aye, that's certainly good to know.

Even with me having recently managed to accept and admit to myself that I'm autistic after all the research and time I'd put into figuring myself out and having told others about it and having them accept me as autistic, I still sometimes find myself worrying that places like this one won't accept people who don't have an official diagnosis and are just self-diagnosed (or even just wondering if they're autistic)

But it's good to know that that isn't the case here.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 10:06 am

Welcome!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 12:21 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 5:51 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 5:19 am

Princess Viola wrote:
Anyways other than that I guess maybe I should say a few things I'm interested in? Well I'm into:
- Vintage computers and technology (primarily 80s and 90s stuff, I got a couple of 80s TVs and a late 90s computer at my other house)

Would you happen to have a working floppy disk reader? (If so, I might be willing, at some point, to pay you to copy a whole big bunch of 30-year-old floppy disks into one big ZIP file.)

In any case, welcome to WP!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 6:11 am

welcome! glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Princess Viola
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2023, 9:11 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Princess Viola wrote:

Would you happen to have a working floppy disk reader? (If so, I might be willing, at some point, to pay you to copy a whole big bunch of 30-year-old floppy disks into one big ZIP file.)

In any case, welcome to WP!

Well, I know for a fact that I have at least one PC with a floppy drive, no idea if it still works though (should probably check if it does in all honesty, it worked the last time I used the PC but that was also back in like 2012-2013 so 10-11 years ago now).

And yeah thanks for the welcome.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 10:37 pm

Princess Viola wrote:
Well, I know for a fact that I have at least one PC with a floppy drive,

5.5 inch or 3.5 inch?

The floppy disks I have are 5.5 inch.

Princess Viola wrote:
no idea if it still works though (should probably check if it does in all honesty, it worked the last time I used the PC but that was also back in like 2012-2013 so 10-11 years ago now).

Thanks for letting me know. I'll be interested to hear any further developments.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 2:22 am

yay another one :alien: welcome! : 8)

Princess Viola
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2023, 12:39 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Princess Viola wrote:
Well, I know for a fact that I have at least one PC with a floppy drive,

5.5 inch or 3.5 inch?

The floppy disks I have are 5.5 inch.

Ah, sorry it's a 3.5 inch drive. (There's a chance another PC I've got has a floppy drive too but that's also probably a 3.5 inch one too, sorry again).