Is there any good new movies with autistic characters?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2023, 2:13 pm

Is there any good new movies with autistic characters?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 2:47 pm

Depends what you mean - characters suspected of having some form of borderline Aspergers - unlimited huge numbers of movies

Actual Autistic characters - very few cant really name many, perhaps "the accountant" an autistic character stared by Ben Affleck.

Good movie but unfortunately lots of silly stereotypical "superpower" scenes

- George Bernie Shaw

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 11:32 pm

I'm watching Haikyuu, and I think Hinata may be autistic? Socially awkward? Check. Special interests? Check.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 6:44 am

carlos55 wrote:
Depends what you mean - characters suspected of having some form of borderline Aspergers - unlimited huge numbers of movies

Actual Autistic characters - very few cant really name many, perhaps "the accountant" an autistic character stared by Ben Affleck.

Good movie but unfortunately lots of silly stereotypical "superpower" scenes

This is how it usually goes with autistic characters. They usually become a weird amalgamation of over the top stereotypes so not a single movie or series have sparked my interest.

Having an autistic character with the typical typecasting I mentioned if anything, usually greatly detracts from a movie or series.

The worst was "Music" by Sia and that one the "Holby city" series done my head in too. 100% of the time they're portrayed as simpletons or geeks with nothing in between. The one in Holby city was actually treated very badly because of his autism despite the producers wanting to be progressive and inclusive. He was infantalized to the point where I felt very sorry for him and wondered why he still "worked" at that hospital.

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2023, 5:35 am

"What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" is the best since that the autistic character was played by Leonardo DiCaprio. I am convinced that Johnny Depp in autistic.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

KeepWaiting
Raven
Raven

26 Jun 2023, 6:14 am

Aspie With Attitude wrote:
"What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" is the best since that the autistic character was played by Leonardo DiCaprio. I am convinced that Johnny Depp in autistic.

Benny & Joon was a great little movie. I’m not going to diagnose any characters, but I liked the film.

Niktereuto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2023, 9:28 pm

colliegrace wrote:
I'm watching Haikyuu, and I think Hinata may be autistic? Socially awkward? Check. Special interests? Check.

Anime is full of autistic-like characters.
Other two I know are Shiina Mashiro (from Sakura-sou no pet-na kanojo) and Kasuga Ayumu (from Azumanga Daioh!).

canadia64
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jun 2023, 3:26 pm

Kimi (2022) is a very recent one with a lead character who I strongly suspect is autistic. In fact, it seems as though the movie was designed to show off the character's autistic traits. Highly recommend it.