Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 3:17 am

One of the predicating ideas of chivalry is that women are weak and in constant need of a man's protection.  Modern-day women are proving this idea wrong again and again.

So, while chivalry may not be dead, it is certainly on extended life-support as it slowly rots from the inside out.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 3:23 am

We all know women aren’t necessarily weak, especially today, but sometimes they are. They might have a broken leg or need charity to feed the family. Same with “weak” men who need people’s support.

Even though the idea was to help the weak, I still think it’s a noble cause to help any human being who is vulnerable.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 3:36 am

Fnord wrote:
One of the predicating ideas of chivalry is that women are weak and in constant need of a man's protection.  Modern-day women are proving this idea wrong again and again.

So, while chivalry may not be dead, it is certainly on extended life-support as it slowly rots from the inside out.

Now we just need to connect this back to the couch

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 3:42 am

Sure 'Bella, everybody is weak at least once in their lives.

But those who practice chivalry presume that all women are inherently weak -- emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually -- in reference to the Apostle Peter's claim that women are "weaker".

Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers. -- 1 Peter 3:7 (NIV)

(Obviously, ol' Pete never encountered an angry Batangueña with a balisang.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 7:44 am

When it denigrates a woman, chivalric ideas aren’t cool.

But when there’s mutual respect, things like opening doors for women….or bowing to a woman….are cool. Most women, these days, give a bemused expression when I open the door for them. Many thank me with a chuckle.

I don’t feel being lambasted for opening a door for a woman is appropriate. I’m not implying that a woman is “weak” by doing so.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 8:00 am

I hold doors open for women… but I hold doors open for everyone. It’s common courtesy. Sometimes you get a surprisingly sincere thank you from a young guy that looks like he could stab you.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 9:54 am

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 11:16 am

^Seems like you have Crashdummiphilia.....

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 12:06 pm

Why does every topic default to gender on this site? The topic is chivalry and not gender-based chivalry. It’s pretty sad that some people equate the word “weak” with meaning all women and in all circumstances. It doesn’t have to mean women at all. We can help anyone less able than us in any situation and those situations aren’t static.

An example is we might donate to a Go Fund Me or a charity to help a woman or women in need, not because she presumably has a vagina, but because she’s in need. We might volunteer to help victims of a natural disaster with FEMA or the Red Cross without inspecting anyone’s genitals or asking how they identity. We might hold the door for people who have their hands full, or people who look frail (the elderly), or for anyone just because we’re using empathy and it would be nice if someone extended an act of kindness to us in return. We pay for other people’s coffee at the drive-thru because we know times are tough for everyone, and it’s always nice to pay it forward.

None of this is gender-based but even if a man wants to open the door for his date, just to show respect, I’d appreciate it unless he was doing it to demonstrate ownership or get her into bed.

People need to realize it’s not sexist to be a nice person and to help others when you can. Even better if it’s reciprocal in our lives and people help us sometimes too, based on need and morality rather than a devaluation of women.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 2:14 pm

If a man holds the door for a woman, he's a man. If a woman holds the door for a man, she's a keeper. 8)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 2:21 pm

It's yet another case of "women have it so much better/easier than men whine whine whinge whine", which will surely be locked soon.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 2:22 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
If a man holds the door for a woman, he's a man. If a woman holds the door for a man, she's a keeper. 8)

Where I live, holding doors open for people of any gender or age is just common courtesy. People do it almost instinctively. :)

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 5:40 pm

^ If you live in Canada holding doors is a pastime.

Last edited by r00tb33r on 17 Jan 2023, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 5:45 pm

Nah, calling out discrimination is more my style.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 6:49 pm

Fnord wrote:

Can we pull the plug?