Have YOU been accused of microaggressions??

Page 10 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2023, 10:02 am

naturalplastic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've never heard of that about putting change into someone's hand.
I've always been the recipient (not working in a shop), and I never took note.
Now I haven't used cash money or especially change, in years.

I wonder if it's a practice that I should have known all along.
Maybe I missed it because I don't know social rules.

It's very sad about what was happening.
I can see how it would be offensive.

Are children and employees still taught to put change into a person's hand?
I wonder if my kids know, not that we deal with cash anymore.

Funny... I just now recall seeing a TV public service ad in the Sixties (during the Civil Rights Movement) sponsered by a church group about stuff that...well...I guess you would call 'microagressions'. Instructing the viewer to be mindful of things like that...and it showed a Black person placing their hand palm up on a store counter to receive change, and a White person placing change on the counter in front of them. No voice over explaining anything...just visual. But apparently it was enough to stick in my mind. So even before this thing happened in real life years later I was already semi aware of it as an issue from that ad. But it wasnt something I recall folks instructing me to do outloud in real life.

Folks of my parents generation (of every skin color) are disappearing. And as you said- tech has changed. Everyone does self check out half of the time, and I personally rarely use cash.

I am only on page one of this thread so please bear with me.

I just have a note to add about returning change as a cashier.

The correct way to do it is to count the money back. I can see people getting disturbed by a cashier not counting the money back.

You start with the total of the purchase and end with the amount you were given.

It is an extra bit of added service you can give people. I don’t know for sure when people stopped doing it.

I can’t help but think that must fit into the equation somewhere if at the very least putting heavy emphasis on that part of the transaction.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2023, 11:23 am

MaxE wrote:
Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I would rather have change given to me in front of me, rather than in my hand. Unless the cashier lady is kind of cute :P

I do understand the black person's irritation----with not being treated as an equal human being with a white person. I doubt very much, these days, that a white clerk in a store would be thinking about not touching a black person's hand to give change.

I have had a number of occasions where Asian ppl have not wanted to touch my hand accidentally when handing over change.
They literally threw the coins at the dirty filthy Caucasian. 8O :mrgreen:

The county I live in is 18% Asian and I have never experienced such a thing happening to me.

He lives in Australia which is closer to Asian countries than your country. I’m just stating an obvious permanent fact.

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2023, 2:27 pm

Dengashinobi wrote:
I have a gay friend and a straight friend, both NT's. The straight friend calls the gay friend you f***ing f***ot and they laugh and hug and tease each other. It's their way of bonding I guess, teasing and crossing each other's boundaries. While I who has difficulty using such words I'm emotionally more distan to my gay friend than me straight NT friend is. What "microaggression" people make out of That?

That's not a microaggression but a macroaggression haha. But it's between close friends. Only close male friends are allowed to insult eachother. It's a sign of affection. Because simply saying "I like you a lot" would be "gay". Being emotional with male friends is awkward. So they may insult eachother instead. My homosexual friends also wouldn't have minded me calling them f***. But I didn't. I just called things "gay" sometimes.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 2:32 pm

JimJohn wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I would rather have change given to me in front of me, rather than in my hand. Unless the cashier lady is kind of cute :P

I do understand the black person's irritation----with not being treated as an equal human being with a white person. I doubt very much, these days, that a white clerk in a store would be thinking about not touching a black person's hand to give change.

I have had a number of occasions where Asian ppl have not wanted to touch my hand accidentally when handing over change.

The county I live in is 18% Asian and I have never experienced such a thing happening to me.

He lives in Australia which is closer to Asian countries than your country. I’m just stating an obvious permanent fact.

How does he know that the reason is because he is "Caucasian". It could be that they just dont like strangers touching them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 2:42 pm

Here is the song mentioned a couple of pages up. Complete with the offending word still in.

Spoken in the same two breaths as 'maggot' and 'slut', its hardly noticeable. Silly censorship.

https://youtu.be/j9jbdgZidu8

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2023, 4:05 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
JimJohn wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

How does he know that the reason is because he is "Caucasian". It could be that they just dont like strangers touching them.

Maybe he does know. Maybe he doesn’t. I imagine he could be asked but sometimes I don’t second guess people. I think it is possible for Asians to be racist. I know some of them put emphasis on different shades of colors that I would not even notice. I know in Japan not everything is open to foreigners. I know Australians go on holiday to Thailand, etc… like I go on vacation south of the border or the Caribbean. I’m feeling pretty good about the fairness of my point.

This is just a side factoid but a larger percentage of Asian people lack the gene that causes underarm body odor. Supposedly, some Asian countries don’t have wide spread sales of deoderant because the people don’t need it. The percentages vary in different populations. I imagine some may generalize people as having body odor. I am pretty sure bad breath is another matter.

I’d be curious if anyone thinks my post makes any sense. I find the genetic part interesting. There could be lots of reasons not to like caucasians. I can see them being seen as loud and obnoxious especially if the only ones you see are drunk in bars.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 10:16 pm

I get accused of microaggressions all the time. I also get reprimanded and punished a lot for other people's assumptions of what they think I am saying or doing even though they are completely wrong in their assumptions

Wreck It Ralph

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2023, 7:31 pm

No one's every said microaggression specifically to me, but I'm sure I've unintentionally offended people before. I try not to do so nowadays, and replay every word I say, just to make sure I didn't offend or insult anyone. When I do on accident, I regret it forever and never do it again.
I try to watch everything I do, and I find it annoying that people get away with being loud, sporadic and offensive and still manage to be popular and have friends. I'm a people pleaser, so every single thing I do wrong, I imagine a point against me, and another reason for me friends to ditch me, or think I'm creepy and lame.

"Really? I'd like to meet him."