Have YOU been accused of microaggressions??

Page 9 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Jan 2023, 4:32 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
Other major civilisations have contributed to science as well of course. And it is of great significance. But what the West has achieved the last three centuries is unprecedented advance that has transformed human civilisation in a profound way.
With a lot of bloodshed, misery and damage as a side effect.
It would be nice to sort it out now.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 5:46 am

magz wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
Other major civilisations have contributed to science as well of course. And it is of great significance. But what the West has achieved the last three centuries is unprecedented advance that has transformed human civilisation in a profound way.
With a lot of bloodshed, misery and damage as a side effect.
It would be nice to sort it out now.

What do you mean by sort it out?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Jan 2023, 5:49 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
What do you mean by sort it out?

Investigate and realize the extent of losses, repair what can be repaired, avoid further damage, help heal from the damage already done, learn to do better in the future - things like that.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 6:55 am

funeralxempire wrote:
It's not that you're not on the same page as the conversation, you're in a different book entirely. :lol:

Some ppl who espouse CRT also talk in terms of collective Caucasian guilt.
Plz keep up with the program. 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 12:36 pm

Pepe wrote:

Beyond that they claim whites as a group are systematically racist based on privilege and power. Critical Race Theory does not specifically say that. These people rightly or wrongly used CRT as a basis for these conclusions. Most people who are not academics first heard of Critical Race Theory in the White Privilege context(with the help of Christopher Rufo).

The fact that Critical Race Theory does not specifically say that is often used to dismiss critics of the expanded definitions of racism and privilege(since you are ignorant of what CRT you are ignorant and wrong about what racism and privilege is also).

funeralxempire wrote:
So, what exactly makes some people's rights a political matter?

Rights are not given, they have to be obtained by political means.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

24 Jan 2023, 1:52 pm

I think unconscious bias exists, however ut us probably important to note that microagressions stem from the anti-enlightenment, antirational, academic legacy of postmodernism has left behind since it's rise within academia in the social sciences. I don't think going around accusing people of making microaggressions is necessarily a healthy thing to do due to it's close association with identity politics which, thanks to social media, have been reduced to dumbed down memes and slogans.

There are all kinds of disparities and divides, however current reactionary anti-rational direction of postmodern identity politics has meant that discourse about those sorts of things cannot be solved in a rational way. Microaggressions are a product of a very pre-enlightenment period which simply tells us to go trust our prejudices rather than rely on unmasking those prejudices using reason.

People who use the term microaggressions seem to eagerly mete out accusations that someone has said something discriminatory which can actually lead to the person who is targeted to not change their behaviour because of the way they have been treated by that person. It has in fact made them dig their heels in and double down on using whatever language it was that someone had pointed out was discriminatory. Thus, I don't think identity politics and calling people out for microaggressions has helped tackle discriminatory attitudes because:

1. Microaggressions are not always easily to discern if all you are basing it on is behaviour.

2. Microaggressions stem from pre-enlightenment values that value prejudice over depending on reason to unmask truth. Again, this makes microaggressions an often all too subjective phenomenon to discern if all you are bsing it on is body language and other aspects of human behaviour relating to the soft sciences (behavioural psychology and Jungian psychology).

3. the notion of microaggressions stem from identity politics and postmodernism (Critical theory). ID pol treats affinity groups as though they have a hive mind or group consciousness that they all share. This has led to some very lazy characterisations, of people which have ironically undermined the individual, despite the claims among (neo)liberals that they defend individual rights. Again, this is irrational but because identity politics stems from postmodernism (critical theory) it is quite open about it's allergicy towards rationality and seeks to return us to a pre-enlightenment state that ultimately rejects individual free-thought because of the reductive belief that all rationality is inherently regressive.

4. Some people who accuse others of microaggressions may be looking simply to antagonise. Even if they are right in identifying a microagression the way they go about it in a kind of witch-hunter styled way does not do anything to tackle discrimination and toxic attitudes, but actually inflames it.

I say this as someone who does not imbibe the politically lazy rightwing critiques of postmodernism. In fact, there are many leftwing critiques of postmodernism. Postmodernism does not really have many political allies. This is partly because not that many people eve know what it is, even though they parrot it's language. It is also partly because if more people understood it, they would realise how socially regresive and misanthropic it really is.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 2:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

funeralxempire wrote:
So, what exactly makes some people's rights a political matter?

Rights are not given, they have to be obtained by political means.

Politics might be the mechanism through which ones rights are secured, but it's a stretch to insist that makes rights inherently a political matter, at least in the sense of partisan politics. It seems like quite often respecting people's dignity becomes a partisan matter.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 2:19 pm

I think it was a microaggression when someone told me "You write really well for a left-hander". But no one cares about the hard-ships of lefties, or how we were commonly abused physically and/or emotionally in the not so distant past. Go figure. At least we're generally tolerated now, at least in most western countries. But for years people would exclaimed "Oh! You're left-handed!" when they saw me using a pen or pencil for the first time in a way that sounded like "Oh! You're mentally defective!" :roll:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 4:41 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
It's not that you're not on the same page as the conversation, you're in a different book entirely. :lol:

Plz keep up with the program. 8)

Accesses a 5 gallon jug of "Collective Caucasian Guilt" and pours it straight over PePes head.
Stands back and observes PePe's reaction . 8O ...... :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 7:12 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I think it was a microaggression when someone told me "You write really well for a left-hander". But no one cares about the hard-ships of lefties, or how we were commonly abused physically and/or emotionally in the not so distant past. Go figure. At least we're generally tolerated now, at least in most western countries. But for years people would exclaimed "Oh! You're left-handed!" when they saw me using a pen or pencil for the first time in a way that sounded like "Oh! You're mentally defective!" :roll:

That is probably a pretty solid example.

It's a backhanded compliment too, for a left-hander assumes lefties are all going to have poor penmanship.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 8:09 pm

kinda interesting thought about Lefties.. And my Penmanship by thirteen could stylize my writing , ( as a Leftie)
in 4 different ways . by 14 could do 8 different ways including a very nice homemade version of very beautiful calligraphy . All self taught. Ehh.. not bad fer a Leftie ...? ( Lefty)...lolz. Never quite got the microaggression part though . :?:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 4:25 am

AnomalousAspergian wrote:
People who use the term microaggressions seem to eagerly mete out accusations that someone has said something discriminatory which can actually lead to the person who is targeted to not change their behaviour because of the way they have been treated by that person. It has in fact made them dig their heels in and double down on using whatever language it was that someone had pointed out was discriminatory.

Digging in their heels and doubling down is often exactly what is wanted. The use of "microaggressions" is often a deliberate strategy to cause overreaction. When the person overreacts that it is a gotcha, the accuser can say "I was right about you (and maybe all white people being racist)"

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 4:45 am

funeralxempire wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

That is probably a pretty solid example.

It's a backhanded compliment too, for a left-hander assumes lefties are all going to have poor penmanship.

Poor penmanship is the stereotype for us now? This is progress. As alluded to up until the '50s and '60s in public schools and later in private schools, it was just wrong if a student wrote with their left hand the teacher would whack the kid's knuckles with a ruler. Even in the 70s and 80s lefty was often used as a synonym for flaky or weird.

My penmanship is horrible. And here I thought it was because I was uncoordinated when it is because(cue the dramatic music) I am lefthanded :D

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jan 2023, 6:57 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
AnomalousAspergian wrote:
People who use the term microaggressions seem to eagerly mete out accusations that someone has said something discriminatory which can actually lead to the person who is targeted to not change their behaviour because of the way they have been treated by that person. It has in fact made them dig their heels in and double down on using whatever language it was that someone had pointed out was discriminatory.

Digging in their heels and doubling down is often exactly what is wanted. The use of "microaggressions" is often a deliberate strategy to cause overreaction. When the person overreacts that it is a gotcha, the accuser can say "I was right about you (and maybe all white people being racist)"
And that's how the disease of polarization keeps going.
Instead of trying to find solutions, trying to "own" the opponents.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 1:07 pm

on topic of Penmanship , had noticed my right handed brothers script was pretty erratic and poorly formed . So
am not sure that is generally indicative of right or lefthandedness?? Sometimes even painful to decode . :roll:

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:06 am

I'm often accused of microaggression, despite always feeling the opposite.

It's ironic, because within my subconscious, I am indifferent towards others. Yet, when I attempt to express this, it always appears as the opposite.

Something becomes lost in translation along the way from brain to mouth.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."