Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TheEbonyEwe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2023, 8:10 pm

I do not have friends either. The only close friend I had in the USAF moved to Alaska. She works a lot and is very busy so I rarely hear from her. I have nothing in common with NT women my age so it's hard to connect with anyone else. I wouldn't mind if they had different interests, but it's never mutual. So, I hang with my hubby (who is also on the spectrum) and my Chihuahua.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 10:15 am

It's OK to not have friends.

Friends are not obligatory.
You can be a friendly and safe person without having any sort of bond or relationship with anyone and vice versa. Anyone can have a relationship that's purely transactional this way.

Friendships should not be a form of work or duty, even if relationships of any form needs work.
It's also not some glorified social thing like how romances are often portrayed as.

And do try explore and question your idea of what friendship looks like to you.

The only obligatory relationship you need to fix is not with other people due to human freewill, but with yourself.

But if you really want friends, find people who can understand and grow with you.
Understanding leads to many bonds that feelings and social obligation alone just wouldn't do.

And, good bonds, healthy connections and meaningful relationships are not necessarily all friendly and pleasant.

I myself never seek a friend. I don't put people in my own circle of loops and I don't insert myself into people's own other loops.
To me, that just comes and goes. It may return and may or may not resume how we left it, it may not return at all.

I don't do cliches and groups either.
Even if I became it's lead or even it's glue that puts it together at any moment, didn't mattered to me much in the end except as a memory.

But sure.
It helps to have a lot of allies, people to ask and talk to point in different directions and references, anyone to ask a favor with...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2023, 12:49 pm

There is a ton of research evidence from the field of psychology linked friendships and acquaintceships with being happier.

That does not mean you need a ton of friends, but social isolation is linked to depression.

Do you not have friends because you lack social skills or experienced rejection in the past?

What is that balance between being drained by friends and benefitting from social connections?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 2:01 pm

I don't think it's healthy to have no friends, but life in the 21st century seems to have worked out like this for most of us.

I think everyone needs a community, which we used to have in the 20th century. I remember I had my parents, my neighbours, their children and a wider community of acquaintances. There were lots of people I could turn to if I needed help. And people cared.

Having lived in my village for 23 years, I've never felt a sense of community or had group of people I can turn to.

Something has gone wrong with humans.

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2023, 3:32 pm

FletcherArrow wrote:
That does not mean you need a ton of friends, but social isolation is linked to depression.

In my case it doesn't cause depression. I get reactive depression from time to time, but none from being solitary. And while I've had dysthymia for pretty much my entire life, doing things with (offline) friends didn't really change that.

But then again I'm schizoid, because of early childhood neglect. So in the first year of my life I learned to exist without much contact to my mother. Maybe for non-schizoids a decade of social isolation would be a cause of depression.

It could still have beneficial psychological effects to have friends however. But prevention of depression may not be one of these benefits. At least in my case.

Also, if you ever have a female romantic partner, they may get severely depressed because you have no friends, and don't want to get to know their friends. They may try to make you have friends etc. So if you ever plan to have a female romantic partner, it's best if you have friends. Male romantic partners likely won't care about it.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 5:23 pm

Silence23 wrote:
FletcherArrow wrote:

In my case it doesn't cause depression. I get reactive depression from time to time, but none from being solitary. And while I've had dysthymia for pretty much my entire life, doing things with (offline) friends didn't really change that.

But then again I'm schizoid, because of early childhood neglect. So in the first year of my life I learned to exist without much contact to my mother. Maybe for non-schizoids a decade of social isolation would be a cause of depression.

I'm not schizoid, but I also don't get depressed or anything because I have no friends. I had a friend for a bit there, but he got to be too much for me and I haven't seen him or spoken to him in at least 6months now. While he is a nice enough person and I did enjoy his company, he was also exhausting. Friendships often do me more harm than good because of how taxing they can be on me. It's just so much...often too much. I find it much easier to not have friends in my day to day actual life.

Yeah, I think it depends on the person...if it's okay to not have friends. For some of us, yeah, it's fine and it might even be ideal. For others, it could be hell on earth. I think a lot of it has to do with how you're wired, how much you crave interaction with others and so on. I think other things matter to...like if you're a person with a family or a job that has you dealing with people all the time...socializing with friends might not be as important or necessary or even doable. Crappy answer, but I think it depends and there is no one size fits all answer to this one.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 10:07 pm

KitLily wrote:
I don't think it's healthy to have no friends, but life in the 21st century seems to have worked out like this for most of us.

I think everyone needs a community, which we used to have in the 20th century. I remember I had my parents, my neighbours, their children and a wider community of acquaintances. There were lots of people I could turn to if I needed help. And people cared.

Having lived in my village for 23 years, I've never felt a sense of community or had group of people I can turn to.

Something has gone wrong with humans.

Something has gone wrong with contemporary Western culture.

It needs to be fixed, somehow.

Hopefully it can be fixed without requiring us to go back to the rigid patriarchal social roles and hierarchies that Western society has collectively been rebelling against ever since the 1960's or so.

It might help to have a revival of the idea of formalized friendship groups, somewhat like the fraternal orders of old, but with more modern sensibilities.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 2:43 am

At least here in the United States, the above-discussed problem is older than the 21st century. When I googled "Fragile Friendship" recently, one of the top search results was a Washington Post article from way back on May 23, 1981: Friendships Are So Fragile.

However, during the past 41 years, it seems to me that the problem has gotten worse than what is described in the above-linked Washington Post article. There seems to be more of a tendency, in today's world, to regard friendships as disposable.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 2:59 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
I'm not schizoid, but I also don't get depressed or anything because I have no friends. I had a friend for a bit there, but he got to be too much for me and I haven't seen him or spoken to him in at least 6months now. While he is a nice enough person and I did enjoy his company, he was also exhausting. Friendships often do me more harm than good because of how taxing they can be on me. It's just so much...often too much. I find it much easier to not have friends in my day to day actual life.

Yeah, I think it depends on the person...if it's okay to not have friends. For some of us, yeah, it's fine and it might even be ideal. For others, it could be hell on earth. I think a lot of it has to do with how you're wired, how much you crave interaction with others and so on. I think other things matter to...like if you're a person with a family or a job that has you dealing with people all the time...socializing with friends might not be as important or necessary or even doable. Crappy answer, but I think it depends and there is no one size fits all answer to this one.

Hopefully you have enough family members whom you can rely on in times of trouble? Will you always be able to rely on them for the rest of your life?

If not, then perhaps it might be a good idea for you to consider the question of exactly which aspects of social interaction are so draining for you, and whether it's possible to develop friendships without those aspects.

For example, I can't handle holiday hustle and bustle. Hence, any friend of mine needs to accept the fact that I just don't do commercialized holiday rituals.

I also have only a very limited amount of time and energy for in-person social interaction. Hence the majority of my interaction with friends needs to be via online chat or (especially back in the old days, before the Internet became popular) phone conversations.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 8:58 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Something has gone wrong with contemporary Western culture.

It needs to be fixed, somehow.

Hopefully it can be fixed without requiring us to go back to the rigid patriarchal social roles and hierarchies that Western society has collectively been rebelling against ever since the 1960's or so.

It might help to have a revival of the idea of formalized friendship groups, somewhat like the fraternal orders of old, but with more modern sensibilities.

You're right, it has. I don't think other parts of the world are so bad.

Formal friendship groups sound great! I also think we need lessons in Etiquette and Conversation Skills now days.

The article you mentioned from 1981 doesn't apply to Britain I think? I remember Brits always used to be friendly til probably the 2010s? Polite to strangers and always hospitable. We're not like that anymore.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 9:40 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Hopefully you have enough family members whom you can rely on in times of trouble? Will you always be able to rely on them for the rest of your life?

If not, then perhaps it might be a good idea for you to consider the question of exactly which aspects of social interaction are so draining for you, and whether it's possible to develop friendships without those aspects.

For example, I can't handle holiday hustle and bustle. Hence, any friend of mine needs to accept the fact that I just don't do commercialized holiday rituals.

I also have only a very limited amount of time and energy for in-person social interaction. Hence the majority of my interaction with friends needs to be via online chat or (especially back in the old days, before the Internet became popular) phone conversations.

I appreciate the concern, but it's not necessary. I do have family that I see regularly. My middle daughter comes by often and she and I help each other. I can very much count on her, should I need to. My father is also still alive and in relatively good health. He is more than happy to help should I need it. I keep my grandson overnight here once or twice a week...middle daughter is a single mom and that's tough so we kinda help each other. I have three other children who, while all grown and out doing their things, still want or need me here and there. They will call, text, or show up here if and when they want/need to. I also have a fwb type arrangement and I see him about two or three times a month. Point being, I'm not isolated and see different people on a somewhat regular basis.

I also qualify for help. Part of my to-do list for the years includes getting a case manager who can help me navigate the process of utilizing the helps that I qualify for...things like someone to run errands for me, get me to appointments where shuttle service is not provided for me, any help cleaning or whatever that I might need...though the idea of some random person cleaning my house is mortifying to me... anyway, I'm not concerned about friends as that type of support for me since I can get those services covered should my family not be here to help me out.

I really don't have anything left in me for more people. That sounds like work to me and I know how it goes when I try to maintain friendships with people in my day to day life. I end up feeling resentful towards them for wanting my time when all I want to do is decompress from the last round of 'people-ing' that I had. I prefer things like this site, for example, for my interactions. I can read, post, walk away and do so at my pace, comfort level, and leisure. It allows me to enjoy human interaction instead of resent it.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 10:25 am

To FleaOfTheChill: It's good that you have an adequate situation in terms of family and services. Not all of us have this. For some of us, a friend group is a necessity.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 10:31 am

KitLily wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

[...]

Formal friendship groups sound great! I also think we need lessons in Etiquette and Conversation Skills now days.

At some point, if enough people show interest, maybe I should start a separate thread on formal friendship groups and what they could look like.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 12:10 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
At some point, if enough people show interest, maybe I should start a separate thread on formal friendship groups and what they could look like.

That's a good idea, but how would it help us in real life?

What you said to Flea of the Chill above...I'm the same. I only have my husband and daughter, no support network. I'm just hoping my daughter marries into a big, warm, friendly family who can provide some kind of network for her. But obviously that's a very slim hope.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 7:42 pm

KitLily wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

That's a good idea, but how would it help us in real life?

I decided to create the above-mentioned new thread and answer your question there, to avoid taking this current thread further off-topic.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 8:35 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
I have no hatred toward people, in fact I'm often sympathetic. Still, I fail to connect, and fail to find motivation to continue communicating. Either a lack of common interests, or lack of interest in the person.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Finding common ground often seems to be hard to find. ( common grounds can often be Uncommon).

Especially is they see you as a target of Opportunity. :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are