1 Dead, Trooper shot - Atlanta area envirnmental protest

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 5:38 pm

Man killed, trooper shot while ‘Cop City’ protesters cleared

Quote:
Authorities said they killed a man who shot and injured a Georgia state trooper Wednesday morning as law enforcement officers tried to clear protesters from the site of a planned public safety training center just outside Atlanta.

Officers from several law enforcement agencies were conducting an operation to clear people out of the area around 9 a.m. when someone fired at them and officers shot back in self-defense, Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Mike Register said during a news conference. A trooper was shot in the abdomen and the man who shot at the officers was killed at the scene, Register said.

The trooper was rushed to a hospital, where he underwent surgery, Georgia State Patrol Col. Chris Wright told reporters. The trooper's vital signs are good and he's in stable condition, but he is in the intensive care unit and "he's still not out of the woods yet,” Wright said.

Register and Wright declined to identify the trooper or the man who was killed, citing the active investigation and the need to notify family members.

Register said the “clearing operation” was being conducted in the same area where a handful of people were arrested last month and charged with domestic terrorism. DeKalb County District Attorney Sherry Boston said at the time that people attacked firefighters and police officers as state and local law enforcement officers with rocks and weapons as the officers removed barricades blocking some entrances to the site.

Register said four people had been detained with possible charges to come and that the situation remains fluid.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp released a statement earlier this month applauding the arrests and saying “they will not be the last we will take down as this project moves forward.”

“Domestic terrorism will NOT be tolerated in our state, and we will not hesitate, we will not rest, we will not waver in ending their activities and prosecuting them to the fullest extent of the law,” he said in the statement posted on Twitter.

Opponents of the training center have been protesting for over a year by building platforms in surrounding trees and camping out at the site. They say that the $90 million project, which would be built by the Atlanta Police Foundation, involves cutting down so many trees that it would be environmentally damaging. They also oppose investing so much money in what they call “Cop City,” which they say will be used to practice “urban warfare.”

The 85-acre (35-hectare) property is owned by the city of Atlanta but is located just outside the city limits in unincorporated DeKalb County, and includes a former state prison farm.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 10:59 am

Downtown Atlanta protest turns into riot, six arrested, police say

Quote:
What started as a peaceful protest against the death of a Georgia-based activist took a violent turn in downtown Atlanta Saturday evening when people began throwing bricks at buildings and setting fire to police vehicles. In a joint news conference, Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens and Police Chief Darin Schierbaum made their stance on this very clear: They will always support and protect the first amendment right to peacefully protest, there is no room for violence in Atlanta.

Demonstrators took to Underground Atlanta Saturday to demand an investigation into the death of Manuel Esteban Paez Teran, a 26-year-old protester who killed by Georgia State Troopers during a sweep at Intrenchment Creek Park Wednesday. That area is the planned site for the Atlanta Public Safety Training Center, or what some critics are calling "Cop City."

Investigators said Teran did not comply with commands by a joint task force, and that he fired at a trooper first.

On Friday, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation released a picture of the gun the agency said they found on Teran. Officials said ballistic investigators matched that gun to the bullet that wounded the trooper.

Following a Friday night memorial service for Teran, who friends called "Tortuguita," Atlanta Police Chief Darin Schierbaum said a crowd gathered Saturday for a peaceful protest at Underground Atlanta. The area is famous for hosting Atlanta's "Peach Drop" New Year's Eve festivities.

However, when that group arrived at the intersection of Ellis Street and Peachtree Street, a group inside that marching crowd decided to start committing illegal acts including breaking windows and attacking police cruisers that were in the area," Schierbaum said. The chief said some of those individuals were actors who have participated in other protests in the past.

Mayor Dickens said some of them carried explosives.

Individuals were also seen on camera busting out the windows of another police car.

FOX 5 reporter Tyler Fingert and photojournalist Billy Heath III saw Atlanta police officers carrying zip ties during Saturday's protest.

Schierbaum said within two blocks, the illegal activity stopped, and six individuals were arrested.

Three businesses along Peachtree Street received damages to their windows.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 5:41 pm

Georgia governor declares state of emergency, activates 1,000 National Guard troops amid Atlanta protests

Quote:
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp declared a state of emergency Thursday and activated 1,000 National Guard troops in response to ongoing violent protests in downtown Atlanta following a shooting last week near a controversial future law enforcement training site in which a Georgia state trooper was wounded and a man was killed.

The state of emergency is in effect until Feb. 9, according to the document, unless renewed by the governor.

The Atlanta Police Department also told CBS News in a statement that it is monitoring events in Memphis, and protests related to the death of Tyre Nichols, who died on Jan. 10, three days after a violent traffic stop.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 5:48 pm

I once shook a grilled wiener at sign-carrying vegans at a vegan protest. It was pure gold. 8)