Jacinda Ardern announces resignation

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:27 pm

magz wrote:
If her "compassionate leadership" was genuine, she might have simply burned out.
Joining compassion with responsibility while handling conflicting demands and inevitable criticism takes a toll on one's emotions.

This is my best guess.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:37 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
So, did she do anything deserving of substantial critique or is this just gloating from our favourite totally not partisan?

How ironic.

What is your problem?
I guess any non-progressive is the enemy to you. :roll:

I kearly indicated why I had a problem with her and New Zealand in general about their lack of military support.
And while Australia was battling the CCP's aggression, she sidled up to the CCP, which undermined us and pushed the CCP's focus on us.

She came over to Australia and insulted us to our face to garner domestic support.
Exactly how is this partisan?
I suspect you don't understand the term.

She may have been good for New Zealand at one time.
She was NOT for Australia.
This has nothing to do with personal political leanings. :roll:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
So, did she do anything deserving of substantial critique or is this just gloating from our favourite totally not partisan?

Take a wild guess

You need to read what I have posted.
Your position has nothing to back it up.
Plz, try again. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:47 pm

Pepe wrote:
Murihiku wrote:

Whoever becomes the new prime minister of New Zealand, I hope they can continue the same kind of compassionate leadership that Ardern showed ... but perhaps with more effectiveness on domestic issues.

...and more respect towards Australia.

As I said, she may have been good for New Zealand at one time, but she was no great friend to Australia.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:50 pm

Pepe wrote:
As I said, she may have been good for New Zealand at one time, but she was no great friend to Australia.

Correction, she was no great friend to Scomo (remember him). She has always been on good terms with Aussies.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 6:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Correction, she was no great friend to Scomo (remember him). She has always been on good terms with Aussies.

She had a problem with New Zealand criminals being sent back to New Zealand.
This practice was in place before Scomo was the PM, IIRC.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 6:49 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

How ironic.

What is your problem?

I kearly indicated why I had a problem with her and New Zealand in general about their lack of military support.
And while Australia was battling the CCP's aggression, she sidled up to the CCP, which undermined us and pushed the CCP's focus on us.

She came over to Australia and insulted us to our face to garner domestic support.

One would expect New Zealand's leader to place New Zealand's interests ahead of other nations, no? I assume you'd expect an Australian PM to place Australia's interests first.

She's entitled to have a different view of the threat China may or may not represent to New Zealand and New Zealand's interests.

New Zealand has been significantly reducing their investment into power projection and this process didn't start with Ardern. They seem pretty convinced their best defence is the difficulty any invading force might encounter with actually conducting such an operation and they're probably not wrong to feel that way.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 8:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

How ironic.

What is your problem?

One would expect New Zealand's leader to place New Zealand's interests ahead of other nations, no? I assume you'd expect an Australian PM to place Australia's interests first.

This is a non-sequitur.
What you said has no relevance to what I did say.
If you realise that and you are simply making another point, we are good.
If not, you need to tune in to my wavelength.

funeralxempire wrote:
She's entitled to have a different view of the threat China may or may not represent to New Zealand and New Zealand's interests.

Yes, but how does that make "friends" with Australia, especially when she is hiding behind Australia's military "skirt"?
Many Australians were offended by what she did.

funeralxempire wrote:
New Zealand has been significantly reducing their investment into power projection and this process didn't start with Ardern. They seem pretty convinced their best defence is the difficulty any invading force might encounter with actually conducting such an operation and they're probably not wrong to feel that way.

Rather cowardly, disrespectful to a very close ally, and ultimately very stupidly short-sighted.
If China ever takes over Australia for its resources and "Lebensraum", New Zealand will also be absorbed.
I doubt I will see that in my lifetime.
I certainly hope not.

The CCP's ultimate goal is literal world domination, imo. Sieg heil!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 8:56 pm

Pepe wrote:
Rather cowardly, disrespectful to a very close ally, and ultimately very stupidly short-sighted.
If China ever takes over Australia for its resources and "Lebensraum", New Zealand will also be absorbed.
I doubt I will see that in my lifetime.
I certainly hope not.

The CCP's ultimate goal is literal world domination, imo. Sieg heil!

China will never have the human and other resources needed to make such a plan feasible. A coalition of China+India+all of SEA (no matter how unrealistic) would struggle to accomplish such a feat.

And then New Zealand is that much further away, stretching logistics that much further.

How dare they not panic over an almost impossible threat?!

China wouldn't be likely to succeed at invading Taiwan and if it accomplished that feat it would be crippled from taking further strategic action for a significant period due to the immense costs (economic, human, etc).

China would prioritize Taiwan over anything else, that's why there's a potential that China might risk that conflict despite the risks. Invading Australia would be like (the trope of) invading Russia, only hot instead of cold and with a huge ocean in between where the world's largest navy would decimate them (and the Australian Navy would help).

China isn't going to invade New Zealand anymore than India is going to invade New Zealand. In order to invade New Zealand China first has to accomplish the impossible (securing Australia, and all the islands between Australia and New Zealand) and have enough force intact to do another huge invasion.

Demographics aren't going China's way for planning long-term imperial ambitions. Taiwan would represent 'yay, we rebuilt China' (so there's the motive), it's not very far away and they legally have a claim to it... and they can't actually accomplish that.

No one has the sea lift capabilities to mount an invasion of Australia, not even the US. The US would struggle to achieve a naval blockade and that would represent throwing literally everything available at that one goal. China doesn't have a fraction of the US's power projection capabilities, in particular when it comes to their blue water navy.

Seriously, how the hell is China going to accomplish what you claim they're plotting? 8O
It just sounds like yellow peril.

Also, I've demonstrated knowing what I'm talking about with these sorts of predictions before.

funeralxempire wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
Agreed. Anyone thinking Putin will stop at Ukraine lacks historical perspective.

He can't go further without an effective force to assign the campaign to and that appears to be an issue.

Russia has a larger percentage of their forces engaged in Ukraine than the US had committed during the peak of the invasion of Iraq; of those forces they're essentially 100% committed. This means whether they like it or not they are likely reaching the culmination of that campaign within the next week or two whether they like it or not.

Of course, that's a fair bit of time for Russia to make gains, but so far it appears their advance has lost momentum. We'll see how things unfold, but I'm anticipating they will fail to capture Odessa, they will fail to capture Kyiv and their forces will start to show more issues as morale plummets.

You might not like me but that doesn't mean my analysis isn't going to turn out to be correct in the long term. I was telling you guys that back in March when it comes to Russia and while China is stronger, they don't have the force projection capabilities now and they will be struggling economically by the time they've built the force they'd like to.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 8:39 am

^ I agree, funeralxempire. The chances of China invading Australia – let alone New Zealand – are incredibly remote, given China's current geopolitical priorities (especially Taiwan) and the logistical difficulties involved with such an enterprise. And the reality is that New Zealand maintains a longstanding friendship with nations like Australia and the US, without being obliged to conduct military offensive operations overseas.

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Yes, but how does that make "friends" with Australia, especially when she is hiding behind Australia's military "skirt"?
Many Australians were offended by what she did.

Umm, just how "many" Australians were offended? From what I've seen, not that "many" were offended at all. Ardern was quite a popular political figure here in Australia, often more so than Australian politicians were. The longstanding friendship between Australia and New Zealand hasn't been hurt at all by New Zealand's more pacifist stance on foreign relations. Some of the more hawkish and ideological political commentators may have been upset, but they're hardly the majority of people here.

Nor did any of the discussions that Ardern (and previous NZ PMs) have had with their Australian counterparts cause any real problems. Ardern visited Australia seven times during her prime ministership, meeting with three Australian PMs: she made little headway with Malcolm Turnbull and Scott Morrison on these issues, but she did make some progress with Albanese. Importantly, none of the Australian PMs described these discussions as "insulting" (as Pepe describes them), and there's no evidence that the Australian population as a whole thought so either.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 2:04 pm

magz wrote:
From what I gathered, she does not resign amid any scandals, she just does not want to run the country for another term.

Perhaps. For really, really damaging scandals, politicians resign before it hits the newspapers and often flee the country - if she goes into hiding, you know a really juicy revelation is coming. I have an idea of what that might be.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Jan 2023, 2:09 pm

Mikah wrote:
magz wrote:
From what I gathered, she does not resign amid any scandals, she just does not want to run the country for another term.

Perhaps. For really, really damaging scandals, politicians resign before it hits the newspapers and often flee the country - if she goes into hiding, you know a really juicy revelation is coming. I have an idea of what that might be.

Angela Merkel went into hiding after her resignation, she even became disgraced as her policies bankrupted - but no juicy scandal, booo!
Just boring stories of being gravely wrong for way too long.

Life tends to be way too boring for our need for Narrativum, doesn't it?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 2:31 pm

I'm just very grateful that I wasn't living in New Zealand, Canada or certain parts of Australia for the past couple of years. China goes without saying.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 2:32 pm

lostproperty wrote:
I'm just very grateful that I wasn't living in New Zealand, Canada or certain parts of Australia for the past couple of years. China goes without saying.

It's a lot easier to blame the PM when you've only had one since covid started. :lol:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 4:07 pm

NZ Herald: Chris Hipkins to become New Zealand’s next Prime Minister

Quote:
Chris Hipkins is set to become PM - he was the only nomination for the Labour leadership today.

In a statement, Labour’s whip Duncan Webb said caucus would meet at 1pm on Sunday to endorse the nomination and confirm Hipkins as party leader.

Hipkins will also become PM once PM Jacinda Ardern formally resigns the post - it is not yet clear exactly when that will happen.

Hipkins is Police Minister and Education Minister, but became well known to many New Zealanders through his role as Covid-19 Minister. He was one of Ardern’s most trusted lieutenants.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 6:41 pm

Murihiku wrote:
^ I agree, funeralxempire. The chances of China invading Australia – let alone New Zealand – are incredibly remote, given China's current geopolitical priorities (especially Taiwan) and the logistical difficulties involved with such an enterprise. And the reality is that New Zealand maintains a longstanding friendship with nations like Australia and the US, without being obliged to conduct military offensive operations overseas.

How can ppl talk such nonsense? <sigh>

I think Australia is going to spend about a trillion dollars on defence within the next 10 years.
We are involved in the biggest defence spending since WWII.
Are our politicians and military advisers that stupid if there is no danger coming from China?
Think about it. <sigh>

And FXE is in Canada and doesn't have to worry about an aggressive CCP being on its doorstep.
Unbelievable. :roll:

BTW, what time frame are you talking about?
Do you actually think I think the CCP will invade Australia next year?