Jacinda Ardern announces resignation

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 6:45 pm

Mikah wrote:
magz wrote:
From what I gathered, she does not resign amid any scandals, she just does not want to run the country for another term.

Perhaps. For really, really damaging scandals, politicians resign before it hits the newspapers and often flee the country - if she goes into hiding, you know a really juicy revelation is coming. I have an idea of what that might be.

Her poll rating has collapsed recently.
Her policies aren't working, and her promises remain unfulfilled.
She doesn't want to be seen as losing the next election.
And she has a young child to consider.

More than enough reasons for her to step down.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 6:46 pm

magz wrote:
Mikah wrote:
magz wrote:
From what I gathered, she does not resign amid any scandals, she just does not want to run the country for another term.

Perhaps. For really, really damaging scandals, politicians resign before it hits the newspapers and often flee the country - if she goes into hiding, you know a really juicy revelation is coming. I have an idea of what that might be.

Angela Merkel went into hiding after her resignation, she even became disgraced as her policies bankrupted - but no juicy scandal, booo!
Just boring stories of being gravely wrong for way too long.

Life tends to be way too boring for our need for Narrativum, doesn't it?

The Turtle... :eew: :eew: :eew:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 8:50 pm

She and the prime minister of Finland were once the Fab 2....young, female and full of compassion, optimism and hope

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 11:16 pm

Pepe wrote:
Murihiku wrote:
^ I agree, funeralxempire. The chances of China invading Australia – let alone New Zealand – are incredibly remote, given China's current geopolitical priorities (especially Taiwan) and the logistical difficulties involved with such an enterprise. And the reality is that New Zealand maintains a longstanding friendship with nations like Australia and the US, without being obliged to conduct military offensive operations overseas.

How can ppl talk such nonsense? <sigh>

I think Australia is going to spend about a trillion dollars on defence within the next 10 years.
We are involved in the biggest defence spending since WWII.
Are our politicians and military advisers that stupid if there is no danger coming from China?
Think about it. <sigh>

And FXE is in Canada and doesn't have to worry about an aggressive CCP being on its doorstep.
Unbelievable. :roll:

BTW, what time frame are you talking about?
Do you actually think I think the CCP will invade Australia next year?

To answer your question, I don't think China will invade Australia at all. They can certainly be a militaristic threat in other ways, as we're currently seeing in the South China Sea. The threat to Taiwan is certainly credible, and a naval blockade of major shipping routes in our region might even be feasible. But I think your idea of a Chinese invasion of Australia is extremely unrealistic IMO.

If China demonstrate an ability and willingness to sustain a large military offensive outside of their immediate region, then I'll start feeling worried about our personal situation. But they're far from demonstrating that capability right now, and there's no indication that they're even willing to do such a thing. Besides, the United States would never allow it.

I have no problem with Australia increasing its defence spending to counter a potential military threat in our region (off-topic, but I'm keen to see what design for a nuclear sub Australia might be obtaining, controversies aside). I just don't think it'll take the form of an invasion, certainly not in the short or medium term.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 11:37 pm

Pepe wrote:
Murihiku wrote:
^ I agree, funeralxempire. The chances of China invading Australia – let alone New Zealand – are incredibly remote, given China's current geopolitical priorities (especially Taiwan) and the logistical difficulties involved with such an enterprise. And the reality is that New Zealand maintains a longstanding friendship with nations like Australia and the US, without being obliged to conduct military offensive operations overseas.

How can ppl talk such nonsense? <sigh>

I think Australia is going to spend about a trillion dollars on defence within the next 10 years.
We are involved in the biggest defence spending since WWII.
Are our politicians and military advisers that stupid if there is no danger coming from China?
Think about it. <sigh>

And FXE is in Canada and doesn't have to worry about an aggressive CCP being on its doorstep.
Unbelievable. :roll:

BTW, what time frame are you talking about?
Do you actually think I think the CCP will invade Australia next year?

No realistic threat of invasion isn't the same as no threat whatsoever, but yes, they're likely overestimating the threat which isn't uncommon with perceived existential threats.

China's got severe structural issues that will limit the scale of operations they can realistically plan to achieve.

Murihiku's answer is bloody solid, I can't add much.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 11:56 pm

Pepe wrote:
Her poll rating has collapsed recently.
Her policies aren't working, and her promises remain unfulfilled.
She doesn't want to be seen as losing the next election.
And she has a young child to consider.

More than enough reasons for her to step down.

This reason I suspect weighed heavily into her decision to step down. There's also the potential for a new leader to boost her party's polling numbers. It happened when Ardern replaced Andrew Little as Labour leader shortly before the 2017 election. Their party was polling badly at the time, but the change in leadership did provide a boost to their polling numbers. After the election they were able to form a coalition government with New Zealand First.

Maybe she's hoping that something similar will happen with incoming leader Chris Hipkins. He seems to be more centrist than Ardern is, and he may be able to fix some of their more pressing political problems. Hopefully with a soft heart and a harder head, as one commentator in NZ put it. :P

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 3:32 am

Someone honest and competent like her...resigns.

While a dishonest incompetent and outright dangerous guy (who has to be reined in by his advisors so he doesnt 'nuke north korea and claim another country did it') demands the overturn of an honest election so he can stay in office.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 5:26 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Someone honest and competent like her...resigns.

While a dishonest incompetent and outright dangerous guy (who has to be reined in by his advisors so he doesnt 'nuke north korea and claim another country did it') demands the overturn of an honest election so he can stay in office.

The OP is going to scold you for :"whataboutism", hyperpartisanship and derailing the thread
The thread is a witchunt to find fault (however trivial) in one of the few decent politicians left

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 7:12 am

magz wrote:
Angela Merkel went into hiding after her resignation, she even became disgraced as her policies bankrupted - but no juicy scandal, booo!

That's not quite what I mean by going into hiding, I mean literally disappearing or moving somewhere without a relevant extradition treaty. To my knowledge Angela Merkel did not do that.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jan 2023, 7:41 am

Mikah wrote:
magz wrote:
That's not quite what I mean by going into hiding, I mean literally disappearing or moving somewhere without a relevant extradition treaty. To my knowledge Angela Merkel did not do that.
Of course if this happened, then some big fat scandal would be obvious - but how likely is it to actually happen?
I don't think Jacinda Ardern is guilty of anything more than any other regular politician in a developed country would be. No indication of this so far at all.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 2:36 am

Chris Hipkins has now been formally appointed as Labour leader, replacing Jacinda Ardern. He will be sworn in as prime minister on Wednesday, ahead of his first cabinet meeting.

He's already announced a cabinet reshuffle and a refocusing of government priorities. We'll probably hear more about them in the next week or two, and see if it'll actually help his party in the upcoming election this year.

Carmel Sepuloni has been announced as incoming Deputy PM. She's currently the Minister for Arts, Culture & Heritage, and Minister for Social Development & Employment, and will be the first senior political leader of Pacific Islander heritage in NZ.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 5:53 am

I have family friends out there who are quite sad she is stepping down. They were shocked when she got voted in but over time became pretty supportive of her.

Her humane response to the Christchurch massacre and Covid, while keeping GDP looking decent and also successes in areas like reducing child poverty won her support in areas she wouldn't have expected to.

all while raising her own young family too.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 10:49 pm

Jacinda Ardern has formally stepped down as prime minister today, and Chris Hipkins has been formally sworn in as her replacement.

BBC News: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-64395447

Ardern remains an MP for now, but she's stated that she'll step down as an MP in April. Seems like an odd decision so close to the election in October. I'd have thought she'd remain in the position until at least then. A by-election to replace her wouldn't be required if she resigns less than 6 months prior to the election (from April at the earliest), although it still requires approval from 75% of the parliament.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2023, 2:42 pm

magz wrote:
Mikah wrote:
magz wrote:

The biggest scandal of Angela Merkel's reign was out in the open, namely her opening Germany's borders to a million Third World migrants. Other leaders in history have been publicly executed for less.

magz wrote:

I disagree. I think we do live in "interesting times" (and I mean that in a negative sense), but that the average Westerner either can't see it or can't or won't do anything about it.

In my opinion, if the average Westerner of 100 years ago could see the treachery of the Western elites and the dystopia they are helping to create, they would be staggered (and I'm just talking here about things we know about, never mind how many filthy secrets our elites might be hiding).

On a separate note, I was just thinking again recently ... isn't it weird how the authorities still haven't released Jeffrey Epstein's client list, and nobody seems to care.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2023, 2:44 pm

Mikah wrote:
magz wrote:

Care to share what it might be? Or hint?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jan 2023, 3:01 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
magz wrote:
Mikah wrote:
magz wrote:

The biggest scandal of Angela Merkel's reign was out in the open, namely her opening Germany's borders to a million Third World migrants. Other leaders in history have been publicly executed for less.
We opened our borders to more and no crisis happened.
But I agree she handled it entirely wrong. With a lot of humanitarian virtue signalling, she played directly to the hands of human traffickers.

I'm much more disappointed with her whole Ostpolitik. Again with plenty of virtue signalling, she fed the monster.

slam_thunderhide wrote:
magz wrote:

I disagree. I think we do live in "interesting times" (and I mean that in a negative sense), but that the average Westerner either can't see it or can't or won't do anything about it.

In my opinion, if the average Westerner of 100 years ago could see the treachery of the Western elites and the dystopia they are helping to create, they would be staggered (and I'm just talking here about things we know about, never mind how many filthy secrets our elites might be hiding).

On a separate note, I was just thinking again recently ... isn't it weird how the authorities still haven't released Jeffrey Epstein's client list, and nobody seems to care.
Variously understood "elites" were more or less corrupt for most of the history.
An average Westerner from 100 years ago was just recently traumatized by WWI. Their elites brewed them literally a hell.

Tell me more about not realizing in how interesting times we're living :roll:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>