Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 7:09 pm

Stay tuned. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Jacinda Ardern announces resignation as Prime Minister: NZ Labour leader reveals she will not lead party to 2023 election

Jacinda Ardern has announced her resignation as Prime Minister as she revealed when New Zealanders will head to the polls this year. 
Bryant Hevesi

January 19, 2023

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/j ... erallPos=1

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 3:27 am

Quote:
Mixed response from Jacinda Ardern's biggest political rivals to PM's resignation announcement amid falling poll numbers

Jacinda Ardern’s shock resignation has received a mixed reaction with one political rival declaring the outgoing Prime Minister “left this country with big problems”.
Tyrone Clarke

January 19, 2023

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... erallPos=4

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2023, 3:56 am

GDP growth of New Zealand does not look particularily badly, in particular, it is significantly higher than Australian (3.7% vs 2.2%). 7.5% inflation rate is very close to Australian (7.3%) and between USA and Eurozone.
Generally, amid the worldwide decline, New Zealand seems to be doing just like the rest of developed countries.
From what I gathered, she does not resign amid any scandals, she just does not want to run the country for another term.
Any New Zealander to post their opinion from inside?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 4:11 am

magz wrote:
GDP growth of New Zealand does not look particularily badly, in particular, it is significantly higher than Australian (3.7% vs 2.2%). 7.5% inflation rate is very close to Australian (7.3%) and between USA and Eurozone.
Generally, amid the worldwide decline, New Zealand seems to be doing just like the rest of developed countries.
From what I gathered, she does not resign amid any scandals, she just does not want to run the country for another term.
Any New Zealander to post their opinion from inside?

A country's GDP is healthier when they ignore their military obligations.
New Zealand is hiding behind Australia's military "skirts".

When she visited Australia, she insulted us with the aim of improving her domestic polling.
Klearly, that didn't work out in the end.

I am glad to see the end of her.
I hope the door doesn't hit her in the bum on the way out. :mrgreen:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2023, 4:32 am

I'm yet to hear about a politician who has not angered someone.

Anyway, as they say - let her go.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 4:40 am

She governed during an extremely difficult time and did relatively well compared to many other countries. It probably took decades off her life expectancy, so I rather respect that she isn't so power hungry to insist on holding on.

Sorry to hear she offended, though. Those are details that hadn't come into my path.

Long run, politicians are human beings. There are no perfect ones.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:36 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
She governed during an extremely difficult time and did relatively well compared to many other countries. It probably took decades off her life expectancy, so I rather respect that she isn't so power hungry to insist on holding on.

Sorry to hear she offended, though. Those are details that hadn't come into my path.

Long run, politicians are human beings. There are no perfect ones.

We don't really know the full story.
She may have been pushed.
Time will tell.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 6:09 am

if our leaders were more like her, things would be more humane here.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 9:05 am

Jacinda Ardern's time as prime minister of New Zealand will probably be remembered by her responses to major crises and her empathic leadership, as well as lacklustre progress on domestic issues.

She gained a surprising amount of global recognition with her responses to the Christchurch massacre and the Covid-19 pandemic. But closer to home, her government's lack of progress with housing shortages, poverty, and light rail in Auckland, along with her government's controversial plans to centralise water management, earned her considerable domestic criticism.

It's possible that it all took a toll and she'd simply had enough. The announcement of her impending resignation has come as a shock to a lot of Kiwis. However, the timing of her announcement seems questionable. It's an election year in New Zealand, and now that the pandemic has largely subsided so has support for Ardern and her governing Labour party, which is currently polling behind the main opposition National party.

Ardern was still leading as preferred prime minister in national polls. But the gap between her and opposition leader Christopher Luxon has narrowed considerably. Perhaps Ardern felt that she couldn't lead the Labour party to victory again. She may have bailed on a sinking ship, or tried to revive the party's chances with a new leader, or she may have been urged to resign – who knows.

What I'm interested in is who'll replace Ardern as Labour leader and prime minister. The obvious candidate, Deputy PM Grant Robertson, has already confirmed that he won't be running for the top job. My early prediction for the job would be Education minister and former Covid-19 Response minister Chris Hipkins. We should know who it is by 7 February, if not sooner.

Whoever becomes the new prime minister of New Zealand, I hope they can continue the same kind of compassionate leadership that Ardern showed ... but perhaps with more effectiveness on domestic issues.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2023, 9:27 am

If her "compassionate leadership" was genuine, she might have simply burned out.
Joining compassion with responsibility while handling conflicting demands and inevitable criticism takes a toll on one's emotions.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 11:49 am

So, did she do anything deserving of substantial critique or is this just gloating from our favourite totally not partisan?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 12:14 pm

She seemed pretty okay to me.

She was rather strict in the COVID sense, as I recall.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 3:45 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
So, did she do anything deserving of substantial critique or is this just gloating from our favourite totally not partisan?

Take a wild guess

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 3:48 pm

magz wrote:
If her "compassionate leadership" was genuine, she might have simply burned out.
Joining compassion with responsibility while handling conflicting demands and inevitable criticism takes a toll on one's emotions.

She's as close as we will get to an empathic humanist in charge of a country. Most people took her compassion and her charm during interviews as genuine, Perhaps some of the leaders in Europe who derive their power from fear of immigrants might reflect on how their cold inhuman views contrast with hers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:26 pm

Murihiku wrote:

Whoever becomes the new prime minister of New Zealand, I hope they can continue the same kind of compassionate leadership that Ardern showed ... but perhaps with more effectiveness on domestic issues.

...and more respect towards Australia.