Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

WearingMySweater
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2023, 11:16 am

Hello! I recently made some accidentally rude jokes/comments to friends and otherwise messed up socially in a way that I think was noticed. Is it good practice to apologize for these incidents? Or is letting them pass better? Thanks!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:26 pm

WearingMySweater wrote:
Hello! I recently made some accidentally rude jokes/comments to friends and otherwise messed up socially in a way that I think was noticed. Is it good practice to apologize for these incidents? Or is letting them pass better? Thanks!

There's no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, but in general I think it's usually best to apologize.

Alas, there are some people who will see any admission of wrongdoing as a weakness to be exploited, or who will hate you despite your apology. But people like that are probably not worth keeping as friends anyway.

FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2023, 12:50 pm

WearingMySweater wrote:

Yes, apologizing is good.

It shows others that you are aware of what you did. It helps them find a way to forgive and accept you. And, it helps you become more aware of your maladaptive behaviors so that you can change your behavior in the future.