Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 2:17 pm

I don't have a thing for pocket knives but more like a desire to find one that's actually good. Almost all of them seem to fall sort in one area but so far I like all locking Opinels, the CRKT CEO but the best so far is the Heinnie Atlantic which I picked up today.

Because it doesn't have a traditional lock that needs to be rammed in somewhere on it (or massive wooden handle) it just melts in the pocket. It's the most slender knife I ever come across and has a fantastic clip to boot. It's also really cheap.

Anyone got any other recommendations to waste money on and still find a way to be unsatisfied?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 2:55 pm

Oh nice I posted it straight to the wrong thread.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:23 pm

Here you challenge a bobcat with just an Old Timer pocket knife.
Not a newer model, they are now made in China I think.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:30 pm

Been carrying a Victorinox Classic SD on the keychain with car keys for like 15 years now, a black one, so it blends in better with other stuff. It's smaller and thinner than a car key.
It does what I need to to do, open packages, clip nails, pry things open.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:51 pm

I have a plain old Swiss Army knife I carry in my purse.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 6:22 pm

My two main EDC knives for the last decade have been a Gerber Icon, and a Kershaw Skyline, both sadly discontinued. Both good brands.

I have a few CRKT knives (Ritual, M16-10KZ), and they are pretty nice. CRKT has a free parts-replacement service for things like pocket clips, frame screws, etc.

Also have knives by Benchmade, Spyderco, Cold Steel, Bradley, and Buck.

A few "made in china" brands make reasonably decent knives for the money. United Cutlery makes many good practical knives, as does a brand called M-Tech - though both also make their share of decorative crap. My latest discovery has been a brand on amazon called Eafengrow. Surprisingly good, though their designs are hit-and-miss.

Last edited by uncommondenominator on 19 Jan 2023, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 6:40 pm

I have a Swiss army knife that I had since I was a kid but it never really gave the "you need me and I need you" vibe.

They always seemed a bit bulky for what they were worth. I still have my first Swiss army knife and I haven't used it since 2006.

Today, I mainly look for a work knife with the occasional day to day use. Opinels are actually brilliant.....provided they're in boiler suits. I noticed they sit sideways jamming into your thigh in a pair of jeans though.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 9:03 am

(How'd I miss this thread.)

Nowadays, it'll be subjective since there's so many equally good choices for whatever you want it for.

To me, you can't really go wrong with the Spyderco Delica, Endela or Endura (smallest to largest). The Salt 2 and Pacific Salt 2 are your Delica and Endura in highly stainless steels for saltwater environments. Classic lockbacks, so, simple to open and close. Good ergonomics. Both left and right-handed. One-handed opening. Rugged (beaten on a Delica and Endura beyond what you'd use such for and they held up fine). Lots of choices: steels, scale/spacer colors, blade geometries, grinds, and edges. Aftermarket scales, screws, and so on. Outside of the fully serrated Endura, they look friendly enough for civilization. Good for utility, outdoors, indoors, work, and if there's nothing else, fighting. The basic VG-10 models might be a little pricey, but they should last a lifetime. If I had just one knife, it'd be an Endura of some make.

My favorite folder is the Spyderco Military, but they're kinda stupid expensive nowadays, at least where I live (I got my basic S30V version several years back when they were about 1/2 of what they are now). I don't really use it.

(Not a Spyderco fanboy, rather just those examples I like.)

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 9:40 am

Swiss Army knife for me. Vitally, it has a corkscrew, a bottle opener and one of those things for getting stones out of boy scouts’ hooves.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame