Some days I wish I could just teach my subject.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2023, 6:49 am

In my classroom yesterday (I don’t have assigned seats)

Kid 1- who has changed their name and gender pronouns (this matters later in story. I have taught this kid for years and I struggle with learning names) sits in ASD kid’s seat.

ASD kid points out the problem. Kid 1 tries to argue that there are no assigned seats. ASD kid tries to calmly explain why it is important to him to have that seat. Kid 1 refuses to move.

I tell kid 1 that it is an actual problem for ASD kid to have to move seats. Kid 1 still doesn’t move. I tell Kid 1 to move. Kid 1 - who has derailed my class twice with actual shouting meltdowns when I accidentally referred to them by their deadname even though I apologized - ROLLS their eyes and mutters about having to accommodate ASD kid while moving.

I narrowly avoid falling into screaming fit over inconsiderate self centered behavior. Because I am an adult. Yay me. Kid1 reengages ASD kid at end of class by pulling a third kid into the situation and sharing malicious gossip. I find myself saying that we are all going down to guidance and nobody is going to talk about this further until they have a guidance counselor in the room. Because this is beyond my ability to manage social skills.

I come home and lie on the couch and cry.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 8:50 am

Sorry you had to go through that.

What grade are these kids in?

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2023, 12:46 pm

High school, mixed class, ages 15&17

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 7:03 am

Certainly don’t blame yourself.

Adolescents tend to be very difficult to deal with.

I’m a pretty calm person. I might have screamed in that situation.