Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 8:42 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Some of my older family members are still openly racist, transphobic and homophobic.
They sometimes treat animals cruelly.
It was how they were raised.
They are still decent people overall.
They don't become monsters because of their views, but they do get shunned by society and get labelled monsters.
Which is equally callous, I suppose.

Thank you. You've just said what I'm thinking.

The way I see it, when a lion kills a deer to eat, it's not fair on the deer. But if the lion spares the deer's life then he doesn't eat, so it then isn't fair on the lion. That's life. And it's only human to complain about unfairness, but unfairness is only unfair to the people experiencing it.
So basically we're all hypocrites, unless you want to try and live your life being perfect. I don't know any NTs that are perfect, even the nicest people I've ever met still have flaws and have said or done dickish things but doesn't make them a bad person as a whole. Others do more dickish things on a regular basis that can make them a not so nice person.

As long as you're prepared to be a social outcast, you can be as racist, homophobic, transphobic and sexist as you like, basically.
When the older family members say something racist, such as calling someone derogatory names, for example, I just say, "We don't call people that anymore."
And we move on.
I don't cancel them for their views
But I try to make them see that they're not acceptable views.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 9:02 pm

It's hard to know how to deal with people who hurt others, whether bigots, criminals or whatever.

There needs to be a pathway to rejoin society when people find themselves being cast-out for wrongdoing.
You also need to be sure they're actually willing to stop whatever antagonism got them cast-out in the first place.

At some stage reconciliation needs to be the priority. Not necessarily between the victim and perpetrator, but at least between the community and the perpetrator. Why? Because if you're completely unwilling to allow them to return to society, why not just kill them?

Ah, that's too callous. Just ensuring they're never able to effectively rejoin, that's the Goldilocks level for telling oneself they're still a good person, because hey, they're bad guys, they deserve it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 9:22 pm

When in doubt, check The Lion King. :heart:

We must avoid the shadowy place, and respect all creatures in the great circle of life.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jan 2023, 6:36 pm

The truth is that none of us are perfect. We all, inevitably, have blind spots - we cannot possibly know what exactly everyone we meet will be sensitive about. We all get stuff wrong. We make mistakes sometimes. Some of you may find this hard to believe (joke), but sometimes I can be rude, dismissive, and condescending - maybe even all at the same time!

The very fact that we feel difficult emotions like guilt is evidence that we aren't entirely flawed.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 8:59 pm

Quote:
The deer and lion thing? Yeah, but deer don't eat other deer and I don't believe lions eat other lions. We're talking about human beings hurting other human beings when it's not for self-defense.

That's not normal in the animal kingdom.

Usually people on this site use animal behaviour to justify human behaviour, especially how most of us have been treated by NTs in our lives, so I thought I'd do the same thing. Obviously it didn't work. :wink:

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2023, 9:02 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
The truth is that none of us are perfect. We all, inevitably, have blind spots - we cannot possibly know what exactly everyone we meet will be sensitive about. We all get stuff wrong. We make mistakes sometimes. Some of you may find this hard to believe (joke), but sometimes I can be rude, dismissive, and condescending - maybe even all at the same time!

The very fact that we feel difficult emotions like guilt is evidence that we aren't entirely flawed.

Very well said. In such a complicated world and complicated society, with so many different individuals, it is impossible to not occasionally offended or wrong someone unintentionally. Nobody is perfect either.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 8:39 am

I read the OP a few days ago and didn't comment, it was very well written and I'd agree with what's said.

In my own case I shift the emphasis a bit to what John Gray illustrated in Straw Dogs, that a lot of people (maybe most to some degree) are something like voicemail or press secretaries for their unconscious, that there's a thin veneer of 'human' in the secular humanist curious and truth-seeking little gods sense, and below that thin veneer in the unconscious it's almost completely animal. In that context so much of what people do, and then backward rationalize in some way that makes them feel better about themselves, is their genes doing the dirty work of domination, eliminating threats, etc. and since it's below the level of conscious awareness they get to see themselves as wonderful people who'd 'never ever do a thing like that'.

The argument you seemed to be making that I found interesting was the degree to which some of the cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy might actually be in the structure of the social rules themselves. Rules clearly establish incentives and incentives drive human behavior, equally though the darker or more seemingly absurd incentives where one wouldn't typically think that a person would actually do it maybe are some combination of... I don't know what to call these people because they're not out-and-out psychopaths but they're shallow and small enough to think algorithmically in a very immediate short-term way... them as well as people acting unconsciously.

It seems like multipolar traps are a structural, mathematical part of life and you can have better or worse incentive systems but no matter how well you try to architect the incentives someone will find loopholes to exploit to where they can rack up all kinds of gains by externalizing costs to the commons or to people who society just doesn't care about (eg. the global south or in a case mentioned in another thread the 'homelessness industrial complex'). That's the whole thing Scott Alexander / Slate Star Codex was on about with his 'Meditations on Moloch' essay. The fact that we're Darwinian and thus constantly trying to best one another in competition for higher status and access to higher quality mates seems to suggest that even if we solved certain problems like food, water, or energy shortage that we'd still be fighting over status and the quickest way to win status games is to find cost externalizing games and forms of exploitation, particularly when being a world class inventor or entrepreneur not only isn't in most people's wheelhouse but think of someone like Edison who might invent the lightbulb but who'd be a social nobody into their 50's or 60's and thus lose the status race anyway even if their name went into the history books.

There's more I could say about the specifics of our current environment, like atomization of individuals both through neoliberalism, fossil fuels, the pill but at least the second and third we can't go back on (obligate technology) and we're stuck figuring out how to make civilization work again when the pressures that kept it together in the past fell away.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:47 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't think so. Hateful means things like that heartlessaspergers blog, that is intense hate speech that even I got offended by, probably because I'm insecure about having ASD. Hateful is also severe racism like saying I wish all people of a certain colour were dead or something, which I have never even thought, let alone wrote. Stuff like that. The worst thing I have ever done in all my 13 years of being a member here was the transphobic joke I posted. I am sorry but I can't turn back time and change that, all I want to do is not to do it again and move on. There was another regular member here who also made transphobic remarks in that same thread but he never gets any flack for it.
Most of my (political) views are what I've been told or heard NT people say many times, so I was merely repeating them, forgetting that most Aspies are impartial on political views.

We really should take this up in another thread.

Since when are transphobic jokes political? :? What does transphobia or bigotry have to do with politics? :?

Human rights shouldn't be political at all. There shouldn't be any sort of divisive power dynamics about whether we should give a group of people the same respect and treatment as everyone else or whether they're worthy of basic human decency and dignity.

So gross that some politicians and their followers have actually made trans rights to a peaceful existence a political culture war issue that's got people all drawn into their nonsense for no other reason than to Other their perceived political opponents & capture their votes so they can ignore those people and serve their corporate masters. People are so stupid, in general, to be duped by all of this while coming across as total jerks to their fellow humans in the process.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 2:19 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I read the OP a few days ago and didn't comment, it was very well written and I'd agree with what's said.

In my own case I shift the emphasis a bit to what John Gray illustrated in Straw Dogs, that a lot of people (maybe most to some degree) are something like voicemail or press secretaries for their unconscious, that there's a thin veneer of 'human' in the secular humanist curious and truth-seeking little gods sense, and below that thin veneer in the unconscious it's almost completely animal. In that context so much of what people do, and then backward rationalize in some way that makes them feel better about themselves, is their genes doing the dirty work of domination, eliminating threats, etc. and since it's below the level of conscious awareness they get to see themselves as wonderful people who'd 'never ever do a thing like that'.

The argument you seemed to be making that I found interesting was the degree to which some of the cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy might actually be in the structure of the social rules themselves. Rules clearly establish incentives and incentives drive human behavior, equally though the darker or more seemingly absurd incentives where one wouldn't typically think that a person would actually do it maybe are some combination of... I don't know what to call these people because they're not out-and-out psychopaths but they're shallow and small enough to think algorithmically in a very immediate short-term way... them as well as people acting unconsciously.

It seems like multipolar traps are a structural, mathematical part of life and you can have better or worse incentive systems but no matter how well you try to architect the incentives someone will find loopholes to exploit to where they can rack up all kinds of gains by externalizing costs to the commons or to people who society just doesn't care about (eg. the global south or in a case mentioned in another thread the 'homelessness industrial complex'). That's the whole thing Scott Alexander / Slate Star Codex was on about with his 'Meditations on Moloch' essay. The fact that we're Darwinian and thus constantly trying to best one another in competition for higher status and access to higher quality mates seems to suggest that even if we solved certain problems like food, water, or energy shortage that we'd still be fighting over status and the quickest way to win status games is to find cost externalizing games and forms of exploitation, particularly when being a world class inventor or entrepreneur not only isn't in most people's wheelhouse but think of someone like Edison who might invent the lightbulb but who'd be a social nobody into their 50's or 60's and thus lose the status race anyway even if their name went into the history books.

There's more I could say about the specifics of our current environment, like atomization of individuals both through neoliberalism, fossil fuels, the pill but at least the second and third we can't go back on (obligate technology) and we're stuck figuring out how to make civilization work again when the pressures that kept it together in the past fell away.

Me too, I have the impression that all this dignified sense of civility and the humane about human society is a thin veneer we have come up with so we can live happy. You know, like we tell children about Santa Claus to make them happy. Underneath that is all kinds of robots automatically seeking to advance their genes. We are all victims of our nature at that. I've seen some of the nicest empaths unconsciously manipulating, and I've found myself doing that too. I've also tried to suppress that in me just to find out, guess what, that I put myself in a disadvantageous position. It's all helpless in this regard. I'm just glad that we are living in times of relative prosperity and we can still maintain that veneer of dignified civility. Because as soon as extreme external pressures come, all hell will break loose. I remember reading about the Holodomor in Ukraine. There was a letter by a lady who said "All the good people are dying". The morally corrupt ones where surviving.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 2:29 pm

Dengashinobi wrote:
I've seen some of the nicest empaths unconsciously manipulating, and I've found myself doing that too. I've also tried to suppress that in me just to find out, guess what, that I put myself in a disadvantageous position. It's all helpless in this regard. I'm just glad that we are living in times of relative prosperity and we can still maintain that veneer of dignified civility. Because as soon as extreme external pressures come, all hell will break loose. I remember reading about the Holodomor in Ukraine. There was a letter by a lady who said "All the good people are dying". The morally corrupt ones where surviving.

I'm really getting to the point where if I can find a way to retire early I just want to check out to whatever degree I can. More than just not fitting in I have really, really bad luck with jobs and if I'm not loved but paid under breakeven somewhere I'm getting rode hard and put away wet (and sacrificing my health) to be just above breakeven. I'm starting to think I'll probably live with my parents into my 50's because there's no hope of climbing out of the hole I'm in. I have a project failing right now for a client based on really strange bugs that almost don't even seem to be code-related, more like they have something to do with a combination of bad node packages and low connectivity, the client's losing their patience, won't test so I have no idea if my patches are doing anything, and there's really nothing I can do about it aside from having to realize that my boss and coworker have also made bad decisions which are sitting on my shoulders as I'm dangled out front as the programmer. Moral of that story I guess - no matter how badly you need to succeed to survive, such as being aspie and the world hating that you exist, it's very difficult to do better or be more performatively competent than the people you work with particularly as they frame and delegate the work.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 6:04 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
I've seen some of the nicest empaths unconsciously manipulating, and I've found myself doing that too. I've also tried to suppress that in me just to find out, guess what, that I put myself in a disadvantageous position. It's all helpless in this regard. I'm just glad that we are living in times of relative prosperity and we can still maintain that veneer of dignified civility. Because as soon as extreme external pressures come, all hell will break loose. I remember reading about the Holodomor in Ukraine. There was a letter by a lady who said "All the good people are dying". The morally corrupt ones where surviving.

I'm really getting to the point where if I can find a way to retire early I just want to check out to whatever degree I can. More than just not fitting in I have really, really bad luck with jobs and if I'm not loved but paid under breakeven somewhere I'm getting rode hard and put away wet (and sacrificing my health) to be just above breakeven. I'm starting to think I'll probably live with my parents into my 50's because there's no hope of climbing out of the hole I'm in. I have a project failing right now for a client based on really strange bugs that almost don't even seem to be code-related, more like they have something to do with a combination of bad node packages and low connectivity, the client's losing their patience, won't test so I have no idea if my patches are doing anything, and there's really nothing I can do about it aside from having to realize that my boss and coworker have also made bad decisions which are sitting on my shoulders as I'm dangled out front as the programmer. Moral of that story I guess - no matter how badly you need to succeed to survive, such as being aspie and the world hating that you exist, it's very difficult to do better or be more performatively competent than the people you work with particularly as they frame and delegate the work.

Sorry to hear that buddy. Hope everything turns out well for you in the end. We all go through sh***y times at work. Just keep up bro.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 6:25 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Thank you for weighing in with that, there's a lot to think about packed into a not-too-long of post.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 6:01 am

Let's see...
Ignorance, beliefs, upbringing, normalization, necessity, knowledge/skill/ability gaps, immaturity...

One thing I add is actual lack of sympathy. Especially while being empathetic about it.

At best, a form of concern concealed by some form of insult or whatever people's worst way of saying 'I made that mistake, don't do it too'.
At worst, spreading self loathing all the way.

Doesn't matter how mature the person was, doesn't matter if this person is basically a saint.

To some, in their minds, it's 'whatever, figure it out yourself'. Or some form of tough love, believing that one would understand someday.

Or? Denying one's own sympathy by being apathethic or hostile. Probably because they themselves don't see sympathy as a good thing.
They believe that being nice or even kind would meant enabling.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.