Why is that some families from religions have all daughters?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2023, 3:27 pm

I want to know what might be the reason. Thanks.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 3:28 pm

Can you provide an example?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2023, 3:30 pm

An Orthodox Jewish family having six daughters, lots of nieces and great nieces.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 3:33 pm

Probably luck of the draw, it's not likely they're controlling the birth sex of their kids by any means.

Not that it isn't possible. Perhaps they've had every pregnancy tested for sex and chose to terminate ones that weren't what they desired.

It happens in some parts of the world, but typically the preference is for males.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2023, 3:39 pm

Also not related to their religion- Orthodox Jews are equally likely to have male or female children just like most other humans (some humans do carry genes that make it less likely for one sex to survive - hemophilia comes to mind - so if you made them into a group, that group would be statistically skewed, but beliefs do not influence genetics.)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 3:39 pm

The gender of your kid is like heads or tails on a coin flip. Its random, and the odds are fifty-fifty.

You could flip a coin six times and each flip could come up heads.

And your friend could get six tails.

The fact that you happened to be a Bengals fan, and your friend is a Patriots fan has nothing to do with it.

But by the reasoning you're using (based upon this one family you know) you would conclude that being a Bengals fan somehow 'causes' a person to get heads in coin flips. Lol!

Sorry. The gender of your child has nothing to do with your beliefs (about either god, or the NFL).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 3:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The gender of your kid is like heads or tails on a coin flip. Its random, and the odds are fifty-fifty.

The fact that you happened to be a Bengals fan, and your friend is a Patriots fan has nothing to do with it.

But by the reasoning you're using (based upon this one family you know) you would conclude that being a Bengals fan somehow 'causes' a person to get heads in coin flips. Lol!

Sorry. The gender of your child has nothing to do with your beliefs (about either god, or the NFL).

It's not quite random. Henry the VIII is a famous example of a man who couldn't produce sons, at least not healthy ones.

Edit: Apparently that's not true, Henry FitzRoy was healthy.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 4:21 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

It's not quite random. Henry the VIII is a famous example of a man who couldn't produce sons, at least not healthy ones.

Number one: How do you KNOW Henry the Eighth wasnt random? Niether a dice, nor a coin, has a memory. You could get eight tails in a row, or eight odd rolls on dice in a row, purely by chance. Or whatever the number of kids sired was (I guess Im conflating the number of Henry he was, the number of wives he had, and the number of kids he sired). But you know what I mean.

Number Two: even if we could somehow know for sure that Henry has some defect (like a shortage of Y chromosomes in his sperm or something like that) then its still 'random'. He was an individual with a random quirk.

Number Three: Henry the Eighth didnt stand out one way nor the other as being particularly "religious" for his time. Even if it were number two it hasnt nothing to do with the OP's question.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 4:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Number one: How do you KNOW Henry the Eighth wasnt random? Niether a dice, nor a coin, has a memory. You could get eight tails in a row, or eight odd rolls on dice in a row, purely by chance.

Number Two: even if we could somehow know for sure that Henry has some defect (like a shortage of Y chromosomes in his sperm or something like that) then its still 'random'. He was an individual with a random quirk.

Number Three: Henry the Eighth didnt stand out one way nor the other as being particularly "religious" for his time. Even if it were number two it hasnt nothing to do with the OP's question.

I think we both understand religion isn't relevant to the question, so #3 is a silly distraction.

#2, if the distribution isn't even, it's not really random like a coin flip for that individual. Yes, the chance of that difference might be random, but you're just moving the goal post so you can claim to have a point.

#1, while it's possible that one can get a dozen tails in a row, it's unlikely and worth examining instead of proclaiming it's actually random. That's how one identifies loaded dice.

Finally:

Quote:
A study of hundreds of years of family trees suggests a man's genes play a role in him having sons or daughters. Men inherit a tendency to have more sons or more daughters from their parents. This means that a man with many brothers is more likely to have sons, while a man with many sisters is more likely to have daughters.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 121835.htm

So, like I said, it ain't perfectly random 50/50 and you can stop bickering with me.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 5:04 pm

You failed to refute a single point that I made. So I dont hafta 'bicker with you'. Lol!

Henry the Eighth had three legit kids. Two were boys.

You never addressed the OP by saying "religion or other beliefs do not influence the sex ratio of your kids, but other factors like genetics might effect it".

Even if you had said that that doesnt change what I am trying to convey to the OP...that the fact that he observed one correlation between two traits of one or a few families he knows (sex ratio and piety) it doesnt mean that he can conclude universal causation from the correlation in that tiny sample. The lesson is...he needs a bigger data sample than that to form a hypothesis.

Religion as a causal factor IS the goal post. you're the one who made an unannounced relocation of it.

And this research you cite is very recent...recent because its a subtle effect hardly statistically noticeable until now.

And this new discovery that a tendency toward siring one gender is inherited is true its still random as to which tendency (or either tendency) appears in a particular couple.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 21 Jan 2023, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 5:07 pm

Religion might influence how often you have sex.
imo having sex more often increases the likelihood of having a boy.
I'm not sure if religious people are more active or not.
I guess it depends.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 5:10 pm

Because God would have it so...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 5:11 pm

Ommmm

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 5:27 pm

The same reason some non-religious families have all daughters. What does OP have against families with only daughters, anyway? :?

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2023, 5:29 pm

I’m not against it.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 5:35 pm

The key is 'some' families.
If it was all families within that religion with all daughters, that would be remarkable and truly a sign from God.
Unless it was a religion that sacrificed its infant sons.

How many families do you know with all daughters, nieces etc.?