Some people don't like wearing glasses socially

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jan 2023, 10:05 am

I certainly never was stigmatized for wearing glasses.
For various other things like my interests or the way I dressed - yes. But never for glasses.
I started wearing them when I was 13 and the closest to "stigma" that happened was my father in law who wanted me to have contact lenses for my wedding - which I refused.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 10:08 am

I remember wanting braces and glasses as an adolescent because I thought it would make me look normal (NT), like the stereotype of a tween.

I didn’t need either one.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 10:09 am

Looking the other way, glasses make your eyes look bigger. Who wants piggy little eyes?

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 10:14 am

I wore braces because I HAD to. My teeth were in such disarray. I'm lucky I ended up with only a slight overbite. I'm lucky my father was able to afford them (they were very expensive in the 1970s).

I had to get 4 teeth taken out BEFORE I had braces.

I've been wearing glasses since I was 12.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 10:20 am

They’re expensive now too.
Around $10,000 for my kids.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 10:49 am

Jamesy wrote:
When I briefly wore my glasses 2 years ago out socially my so called friends made fun of me.

Is this the same place you usually hang out? Its not the glasses, dude it the wierdos and freaks you like to hang around who don't seem to like you much.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 11:00 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I prefer people in glasses.
They give people character.

What I for some reason thought was an appropriate photo for my first-ever online dating profile on Match.com in late 1999 may give you second thoughts...

Darron

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 11:03 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wore braces because I HAD to. My teeth were in such disarray. I'm lucky I ended up with only a slight overbite. I'm lucky my father was able to afford them (they were very expensive in the 1970s).

I had to get 4 teeth taken out BEFORE I had braces.

I've been wearing glasses since I was 12.

I had braces in my 50s, that was a cool look.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 11:05 am

It's not the glasses....they're regular "aviator frames." They don't look too bad on you.

To be honest, it looks like you were mad at the world. Sort of reminds me of a mugshot.

Many of my photographs look like mugshots, too.

This sort of thing is really a problem in computer dating.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 11:43 am

When I was growing up braces were actually trendy. I needed braces when I was 12-14 and that alone made me socially accepted. OK there was a few jokes made but I didn't take it personally, as having a brace was too cool to be ashamed of. Yes I remember one boy joked he'd get a magnet and pull me towards him by my braces. I found it funny.

@Isabellalinton, it makes sense that a lot of autistic people use certain glasses because of sensory issues. I don't have sensory issues like that, in fact I love bright lights and my eyes hurt in dimly lit rooms (I feel my pupils stretching).
I needed glasses since I was 9, but I refused to wear them. Well, I only needed glasses to see the blackboard from across the classroom, and my vision hasn't got much worse since. I can see fine, sometimes I have to hold up objects close to my face if I want to look at a detail but otherwise I can see pretty well.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 11:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's not the glasses....they're regular "aviator frames." They don't look too bad on you.

To be honest, it looks like you were mad at the world. Sort of reminds me of a mugshot.

I think it's mostly due to my "resting b***h face".

When I remember to or am told to "smile for the camera", the result of what feels like a clownish grin often turns out to be the faintest detectable smile..

I certainly learned my lesson in this regard, and made efforts to come up with appealing photos in later years' online dating efforts.

Darron

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 5:33 pm

I've never minded wearing glasses publicly. While I met my first wife, when I didn't need glasses, I wore glasses with all the women I date after my first marriage. I think I look at bit younger without them.

I wear glasses because i am near-sighted, but I take them off and leave them off for long periods regularly since i can still see fairly well without them. I cannot work at a computer or read or write with them on, so I generally don't wear my glasses at work.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 5:54 pm

GadgetGuru wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I think it's mostly due to my "resting b***h face".

When I remember to or am told to "smile for the camera", the result of what feels like a clownish grin often turns out to be the faintest detectable smile..

I certainly learned my lesson in this regard, and made efforts to come up with appealing photos in later years' online dating efforts.

Darron

I think the picture's fine, tbh.
I'd rather see a person's regular face than some sort of phony-arsed grin.
The glasses were in style at that time.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 7:15 pm

ive never needed glasses at all as i seem to have very sharp vision

maybe i will have to wear glasses one day as i think practically everyone does when their olderr

does doing a lot of close activities like drawing,reading,puzzles,computer.etc in childhood make people more likely to need glasses at a young age?
because as a child i never read or drew or anything all i did was walk around and play with toys

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 10:53 pm

There are other aspects of the picture which could have benefited from improvement in physical aesthetics. He could had his photo taken in front of a palm trees, say, rather than a concrete wall.

I’m certainly not advocating “faking it!”

My avatar is my “true face.” No BS there!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 11:42 pm

Meh.

I don’t really care what’s behind a person in a picture. I know it’s all staging anyway.

True faces don’t need special scenery and I don’t even like palm trees.