Some people don't like wearing glasses socially

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 10:57 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
A lot of autistic people wear glasses with tinted lenses to help with light sensitivity either indoors or out, even if they don’t need a vision prescription. You’ll notice on these shows that many people have lenses which look slightly pink or orange, which is probably a coating called FL-41.

Irlen Syndrome is a condition which makes it difficult for people to read print material on white backgrounds and it’s common in Autism as one of our sensory issues. Others have Photophobia and can’t tolerate daylight or fluorescent light.

In my case I have horrible vision and can’t be without glasses for even a moment of my day but I didn’t need them until I was in my 30s. I also need my glasses tinted because clear lenses magnify light and make me sick with migraine and sensory overwhelm.
I have Irlen Syndrome, so I wear blue tinted lenses. Not many people have said anything about them but one comment was that the person thought I was making a fashion statement!

I've never had a problem reading so my lenses aren't for that, but I do have problems when I'm out and about, particularly at shopping centres. The light just seems to be very yellow to me there. So the blue tint helps.

What colour is your tint?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 11:24 pm

I actually have blue too, although they’re made by my optometrist and not Irlen. Those are my reading glasses for up-close paper books.

For computer screen distance I have bifocals (mid-range / reading) and they’re a grey tint which just kills the brightness a bit even though I use dark screen settings. I wear them all day for walking around or checking my phone even though the prescription is a bit off and should be longer range for walking.

For driving in the day I have prescription sunglasses that are quite a dark brown sunglass colour. Maybe a bit orangey. They’re long distance at the top and readers at the bottom because I couldn’t even read the car dashboard otherwise.

Then last but not least lol I have the same pair of driving glasses with clear lenses for night driving, with all the glare protectors. Actually they all have glare protectors.

Pair#2 got run over by my garage door so the bifocal line doesn’t sit quite right anymore, and the grey is much lighter than it used to be. Apparently it’s normal for tints to fade from cleaning them. :(

I’ll get all new ones in Sept.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 12:40 am

Yep, the tint does fade. My Irlen tester shows me every year how much my lenses have faded. Once, my lenses were purple, that was pretty cool. Then I had a medication change and they've been blue since then. Even if you have had a general anaesthetic, that can change the colour of your tint.

I now have presbyopia and that means I can no longer read with my glasses on. I can do without the tint when reading.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 6:22 am

Experience tells me it's the old stereotype. It can make someone look and feel old or something.

Well, nerdy stereotypes doesn't exists here, but people-who-reads-a-lot does.
Now it's actually screen addicted youth stereotype -- in my own case it's true.

I don't actually like wearing glasses.
Not socially, but because it's heavy, fogs or it can get lost if I forgot where I put it down.

My glasses tended to be a bit large framed but not thick or seem like a stereotypical pair.
I chose someone else's recommendation -- and that person happened to socially care of how glass frames would looked like.

My frames are never black. It's either green or brown tinted. It's also almost always oversized that seem to suit my face shape. Took me years to find a more sensory wise ideal.
I find that I don't like glasses with nosepads, I also don't like metallic frames.

I tried contact lenses. I like it. It even made my eyes less irritable -- maybe my dislike of feeling exposed actually extends in my eyes.
My eyes are very sensitive to the wind and air, to a point my eyes can feel any volcanoes that had exploded several miles away.

It felt liberating and I'm happened to be the type who doesn't really mind directly touching my eyeballs.

But the maintenance is tedious and expensive.
My lifestyle and environment may not be suitable for it. I may like dailies, only if I were rich enough to have them. :lol:

Tried tinted lenses. It gave me plenty of commentaries. :lol: And occasional stop from the security guards until they realized it's a prescription graded pair.

Currently I have a pair of photochromic glasses, with transparent brown plastic frames.
Risked buying cheap online and got lucky enough to get it right.

It suits me just enough. Maybe this year, I'll reduce my frame size since it a bit heavy.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 11:09 am

I wear glasses, i used to wear contacts but stopped caring about my appearance a long time ago.

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2023, 3:59 pm

I don't wear glasses because getting glasses involves social interaction lol. I simply bought a bigger monitor when my eye-sight started degrading a few years ago. Also some random safety glasses with 1-2 diopters which I use when soldering.

Don't really care what it would look like. I don't socially interact with people anyway, and as I'm asexual there is no need for me to be attractive.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 4:08 pm

Funny how some people who are very ableist don't seem to have a problem with people wearing glasses. Even when they're the ones wearing glasses.

And sunglasses worn to protect your eyes from UV rays are seen as "cool", even by people living in hopeless denial about climate change or call masks "face diapers".

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2023, 4:26 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Personally I don't like wearing glasses but I'm not saying glasses look bad on other people or anything, I'm just saying I don't feel confident with myself when I put glasses on.

Unless they're over the age of 50, I always get the impression that people that wear glasses all the time are at the bottom of the social pecking order for some reason. I DON'T mean inferior, I just mean shy and unpopular and extremely kind. Usually these traits make one seem timid and an easy target, even though I know that glasses don't mean these traits in people. So I fear that if I wear glasses I'll look weak, plain, timid, nerdy, etc, when I'm in public and people will see me as an even easier target.

I'm just stubborn, I'd rather squint when looking at small print than to have plastic perched on my nose.

I can only speak for myself. But back in the era when I wore contacts 100% of the time, I was treated like way more of a target than now (in the current era, I sometimes wear glasses and sometimes wear contacts)

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2023, 4:31 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Experience tells me it's the old stereotype. It can make someone look and feel old or something.

Well, nerdy stereotypes doesn't exists here, but people-who-reads-a-lot does.
Now it's actually screen addicted youth stereotype -- in my own case it's true.

I don't actually like wearing glasses.
Not socially, but because it's heavy, fogs or it can get lost if I forgot where I put it down.

My glasses tended to be a bit large framed but not thick or seem like a stereotypical pair.
I chose someone else's recommendation -- and that person happened to socially care of how glass frames would looked like.

My frames are never black. It's either green or brown tinted. It's also almost always oversized that seem to suit my face shape. Took me years to find a more sensory wise ideal.
I find that I don't like glasses with nosepads, I also don't like metallic frames.

I tried contact lenses. I like it. It even made my eyes less irritable -- maybe my dislike of feeling exposed actually extends in my eyes.
My eyes are very sensitive to the wind and air, to a point my eyes can feel any volcanoes that had exploded several miles away.

It felt liberating and I'm happened to be the type who doesn't really mind directly touching my eyeballs.

But the maintenance is tedious and expensive.
My lifestyle and environment may not be suitable for it. I may like dailies, only if I were rich enough to have them. :lol:

Tried tinted lenses. It gave me plenty of commentaries. :lol: And occasional stop from the security guards until they realized it's a prescription graded pair.

Currently I have a pair of photochromic glasses, with transparent brown plastic frames.
Risked buying cheap online and got lucky enough to get it right.

It suits me just enough. Maybe this year, I'll reduce my frame size since it a bit heavy.

My glasses are transitions.

One thing I get tired of hearing is "You can take your sunglasses off now" (when I first enter a building and my glasses are still dark)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 4:40 pm

I wore glasses once and went to the supermarket in them, but then got laughed at by 2 girls, so I haven't worn them since.

Yes, I know the next post will be "oh they're just ignorant/stupid/childish, don't let them put you off, their opinion doesn't matter..." and all that clichéd crap, because it's not about that. It's the fact that it took me years to finally pluck up the courage to wear glasses in public and then I experienced being laughed at by females around my age for the first time in quite a long time.
If I had worn glasses for years or months or even weeks and then got two girls laughing then I probably wouldn't have felt so self-conscious about wearing glasses.
I knew they were laughing at me because I was the only one walking past them and I felt them staring. Yes, people are allowed to have opinions, but I wish they'd have laughed when I was out of earshot.

God I hate people. :roll:
(No not all, before someone gets offended).

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 6:06 am

Socially means outside my home. I wear glasses everywhere outside my home because otherwise I'm blind as a bat. Simple as that.

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2023, 12:05 am

I don't wear normal glasses, but I do wear sunglasses due to my photophobia.

As for the braces, I was forced to get them twice because of this "2 phase treatment plan" or whatever at the ages of 9 1/2 and 13 respectively. I'm currently 16 1/2 and I'm supposed to get my phase 2 braces off in May. Then I'll have to wear Hawley retainers for the rest of my life.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 1:46 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I've yet to meet an autistic person (age birth to 40) who doesn't require glasses all the time (I'm not talking about reading glasses, I'm talking about having to wear glasses constantly).

One time I watched a documentary on a school for autistic people and downs syndrome people, and I noticed that the people that wore glasses far outnumbered the people that didn't, but in a class of neurotypical people the ones not in glasses outnumber the ones wearing glasses.

I do see a pattern. It is more common to require glasses from a young age if you're autistic, unless most young NT people that need glasses wear contact lenses.

I only wear sunglasses. It's the brain processing what my eyes capture that's wonky, but the vision is perfectly clear and shows no sign of deteriorating any time soon. I likely will eventually need glasses, but probably not for decades. 8)