Some people don't like wearing glasses socially

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 12:09 pm

I have come across some people in my life who told me they do' not wear there glasses when going out socially because it's makes them look "Less attractive"

Do you think it's understandable why some people dislike having to wear spectacles?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 12:13 pm

People can think whatever they want.
I think it's pretty silly to restrict your eyesight for the sake of others' opinions.

I prefer people in glasses.
They give people character.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jan 2023, 12:22 pm

I love wearing my glasses socially. They are a part of how I present to others - I always care to choose glasses that suit my face.
If someone does not like wearing glasses for any reason, contact lenses are not a big deal nowadays. I use them for sports.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 12:27 pm

magz wrote:
I love wearing my glasses socially. They are a part of how I present to others - I always care to choose glasses that suit my face.
If someone does not like wearing glasses for any reason, contact lenses are not a big deal nowadays. I use them for sports.

Contact lenses are a nightmare to take in and out. They also lead to eye infections to.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2023, 12:30 pm

Interesting, I was trying to decide if not wearing my glasses would make OTHER people more or less attractive - I think I have decided “more realistically” attractive, as I would not be able to see them except as smears of color, so I would only be able to “see” how they present themselves verbally and behaviorally and not their physical surfaces.

My Dh is more attractive without my glasses because I still “see” him in his 20s - lol!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 7:38 am

Personally I don't like wearing glasses but I'm not saying glasses look bad on other people or anything, I'm just saying I don't feel confident with myself when I put glasses on.

Unless they're over the age of 50, I always get the impression that people that wear glasses all the time are at the bottom of the social pecking order for some reason. I DON'T mean inferior, I just mean shy and unpopular and extremely kind. Usually these traits make one seem timid and an easy target, even though I know that glasses don't mean these traits in people. So I fear that if I wear glasses I'll look weak, plain, timid, nerdy, etc, when I'm in public and people will see me as an even easier target.

I'm just stubborn, I'd rather squint when looking at small print than to have plastic perched on my nose.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 7:56 am

Glasses aren’t stigmatized like they were in the old days.

They certainly were in the 1970s— but not in the 2020s.

Most likely, the majority of people wear glasses for various reasons. This is especially true for the over 40s.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 8:46 am

Joe90 wrote:
Personally I don't like wearing glasses but I'm not saying glasses look bad on other people or anything, I'm just saying I don't feel confident with myself when I put glasses on.

Unless they're over the age of 50, I always get the impression that people that wear glasses all the time are at the bottom of the social pecking order for some reason. I DON'T mean inferior, I just mean shy and unpopular and extremely kind. Usually these traits make one seem timid and an easy target, even though I know that glasses don't mean these traits in people. So I fear that if I wear glasses I'll look weak, plain, timid, nerdy, etc, when I'm in public and people will see me as an even easier target.

I'm just stubborn, I'd rather squint when looking at small print than to have plastic perched on my nose.

Probably why my parents discourage me from wearing glasses because it might make me look more stereotypically autistic hence an easier target

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 9:08 am

I feel like it depends on the TYPE of glasses you get-----more than the fact that you wear glasses.

I really don't feel that one of the stereotypes of autism is that autistic people wear glasses. PLENTY of "normal" people wear glasses, including many famous movie stars and all those types.

The notion that wearing glasses makes people "nerdy" is an anachronism.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 9:17 am

I've yet to meet an autistic person (age birth to 40) who doesn't require glasses all the time (I'm not talking about reading glasses, I'm talking about having to wear glasses constantly).

One time I watched a documentary on a school for autistic people and downs syndrome people, and I noticed that the people that wore glasses far outnumbered the people that didn't, but in a class of neurotypical people the ones not in glasses outnumber the ones wearing glasses.

I do see a pattern. It is more common to require glasses from a young age if you're autistic, unless most young NT people that need glasses wear contact lenses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 9:22 am

Many non-autistic people have to wear glasses "all the time," too. Many on the "mainstream" of society.

I do not, at all, see the association between autism and glasses.

It's possible many people don't bother to wear glasses because they are so darn expensive these days.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 9:27 am

The few adults who don't wear glasses socially were usually made fun of as children and this are self-conscious about it as adults.

There is a trend here in the US of wearing plain glass glasses to look more intellectual, so it goes both ways.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 9:32 am

I had the "triad": Glasses, braces, and obesity. I know how it feels to be made fun of because I wore glasses.

But glasses really are not a stigma these days---at all.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 9:48 am

When I briefly wore my glasses 2 years ago out socially my so called friends made fun of me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 9:56 am

Maybe amongst idiots, glasses are a stigma----but not amongst regular people.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 10:03 am

Joe90 wrote:
I've yet to meet an autistic person (age birth to 40) who doesn't require glasses all the time (I'm not talking about reading glasses, I'm talking about having to wear glasses constantly).

One time I watched a documentary on a school for autistic people and downs syndrome people, and I noticed that the people that wore glasses far outnumbered the people that didn't, but in a class of neurotypical people the ones not in glasses outnumber the ones wearing glasses.

I do see a pattern. It is more common to require glasses from a young age if you're autistic, unless most young NT people that need glasses wear contact lenses.

A lot of autistic people wear glasses with tinted lenses to help with light sensitivity either indoors or out, even if they don’t need a vision prescription. You’ll notice on these shows that many people have lenses which look slightly pink or orange, which is probably a coating called FL-41.

Irlen Syndrome is a condition which makes it difficult for people to read print material on white backgrounds and it’s common in Autism as one of our sensory issues. Others have Photophobia and can’t tolerate daylight or fluorescent light.

In my case I have horrible vision and can’t be without glasses for even a moment of my day but I didn’t need them until I was in my 30s. I also need my glasses tinted because clear lenses magnify light and make me sick with migraine and sensory overwhelm.