ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 1:54 am

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Like the OP most people become less progressive/more conservative as they age.

Just so you're aware, that trend has not occurred with millennials.

Odds are Gen Z will follow that pattern as well unless significant economic changes occur that make home ownership, children and marriage more feasible for more people.

The oldest Millennials are just getting into their 40s so we will see. If conservative continues to equal MAGA insurrectionists you will probably be right. Trumpism has been going on for over 7 years now that probably not only blunted the trend but reversed it radicalizing people.

It's not just that, it's the economy. People don't become more conservative as they age, they become more conservative as conservative policies start to be more favourable to them based on their living circumstances.

If people aren't any more ahead at 40 than they were at 20 you can assume they'll find more appeal in the same politics one might associate with 20 year olds. After all, they're in the same boat but they've had a lot more time to think about it.

In particular I was always shocked to encounter peers of mine who I knew for being conservative in high school who now sound to the left of me. It's some sort of fancy crossover maneuver and now they're passing me on the inside (aka the left). 8)

Why assume bad economic times will lead people to go left? I doubt the MAGA phenomenon would be nearly as big without the economic dislocation of the "Great Recession". Many argue that racism, not economics is central to the phenomenon. Racism is a big factor but it would be a lot less salient in a better economy. The system is rigged, burn it down. History is replete with right-wing authoritarians gaining power using economic dislocation.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 4:12 am

I am also paleolibertarian.I voted for Trump in both elections.I love Ronald Reagan.I plan on maybe voting for Ted Cruz or Rand Paul if one of them runs for president again.I am impressed with Ron DeSantis but I dont know if he will get my primary vote if he runs.I am a MAGA type and a nationalist.I am isolationist.I dont like Trump any more because he banned bump stocks.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 4:40 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I am also paleolibertarian.I voted for Trump in both elections.I love Ronald Reagan.I plan on maybe voting for Ted Cruz or Rand Paul if one of them runs for president again.I am impressed with Ron DeSantis but I dont know if he will get my primary vote if he runs.I am a MAGA type and a nationalist.I am isolationist.I dont like Trump any more because he banned bump stocks.

Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thutcher are my dream politicians. My favourite American president ever was Calvin Coolidge, from the ones who's policies I know so far. Where did this people go? Why there aren't such leaders anymore? Rand Paul would be a great president but too good to come true. Why are you sceptical about DeSantis? He looks promising too.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 4:51 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thutcher are my dream politicians. My favourite American president ever was Calvin Coolidge, from the ones who's policies I know so far. Where did this people go? Why there aren't such leaders anymore? Rand Paul would be a great president but too good to come true. Why are you sceptical about DeSantis? He looks promising too.

I am skeptical of DeSantis because he is not as gun friendly as I would like but then again not even Ben Shapiro is as gun friendly as I like.I plan on voting for the Republican who gets the endorsement from the Gun Owners of America.I believe in strict separation of church and state.My favorite president in American history is George Washington.Ya I just dont think Rand Paul is electable.I want the federal reserve to be abolished.I want America to go back on the gold standard to protect against runaway inflation and hyperinflation.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 5:29 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
My favorite president in American history is George Washington.

Of course, I forgot to specify that Coolidge is my favourite except for the generation of the founding fathers. They were nothing short of divinely inspired to me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 5:47 am

AFAIC rand paul is a sociopath who goaded his next door neighbor into a fight [the neighbor put the bastard in the hospital] by repeatedly dumping his trash onto the neighbor's lot.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 6:05 am

auntblabby wrote:
AFAIC rand paul is a sociopath who goaded his next door neighbor into a fight [the neighbor put the bastard in the hospital] by repeatedly dumping his trash onto the neighbor's lot.

Where did you hear that story?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 7:27 am

auntblabby wrote:
https://www.vox.com/2018/6/12/17453976/rand-paul-assault-rene-boucher-neighbors-dispute-pile-of-brush

I don't get it. How is Rand Paul a sociopath judging from this incident. He was obviously a victim of an unjustified attack.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 8:04 am

what would YOU do if somebody kept piling trash systematically just over the properly line on your side?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 9:50 am

Calvin Coolidge was pretty good during the Boston police strike of 1919 (before his presidency). Otherwise, he was pretty much a laissez-faire president. His hands-off approach could have led to the Depression.

He was a taciturn sort. When somebody placed a bet as to whether one could get Coolidge to say three words, Calvin answered, "You lose."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 10:14 am

some think the perfect gov't never lifts a finger to help its citizens.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 11:07 am

That was pretty much the Coolidge Way.

Herbert Hoover happened to have been a great humanitarian----but a very poor president, for some reason.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 11:48 am

auntblabby wrote:
what would YOU do if somebody kept piling trash systematically just over the properly line on your side?

According to the source you posted, correct me if I'm wrong, Rand Paul was piling debris from his yard on his side of the border between the two properties. The assailant felt took it upon himself to lay hand upon Paul's property by cleaning. According to the assailant' s account, Paul placed the debris back again becaus it's his property and he gets to decide wether to dispose of it or not. Tha assailant then got offended and without notification attacked Paul from behind his back. Then he got arrested and jailed. I don't see how it's Paul's fault.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 11:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

He was a taciturn sort. When somebody placed a bet as to whether one could get Coolidge to say three words, Calvin answered, "You lose."

Lol, nice one.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 7:58 pm

I've seen people explain a lot of political orientation with Big Five / OCEAN / five-factor personality model and it seems to make sense that it would be this way because your politics have a lot to do with what you prioritize.

In my own life with politics the things that get prioritized:

1) Playable economic games - ie. enough order in the systems and institutions to actually be able to engage in the world in a meritocratic fashion.

2) Things that attack / undermine / derange institutions typically rub me the wrong way as well as anything that damages going concern for things like liberal democracy (far left / far right populism for example).

In that context I find myself probably being centrist as well, or if conservative a very Burkeian one. I have some issues that I drift right of center on (supporting small business, Chesterton's fence issues, etc.). Similarly I have issues where I might be considered to drift left of center such as being for legalization of most recreational drugs within reason (maybe something like CCW type education and permitting for use for the more challenging ones) as well as considerations for how we manage poverty in a way where there's upward convection and mobility rather than 'winner take all'. Ideas like circular and closed-loop economies and sound energy and environmental policy is also one that I have a lot of concerns for being that I'm staying on top of those issues and I'd agree with Nate Hagans that it sounds like many modern economists are asleep at the wheel on the costs of both environmental degradation and depleting resources. There's also the issue of free speech, I might not be an absolutist but as close to that as manageable without empowering mob violence or doxing and I'm also deeply concerned with the ways in which we seem to be throwing meritocracy out the window or even in some sectors almost going to war with the concept of competence itself which IMHO is socially and economically suicidal but it seems like it's a pathology of the middle-management class which has been choking industry and academia increasingly these days.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin