Baton Rouge, Louisiana Nightclub mass shooting

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 10:27 pm

A dozen people are wounded in an early morning Louisiana nightclub shooting

Quote:
Gunfire erupted inside a Louisiana night club early Sunday, wounding 12 people in yet another U.S. mass shooting, authorities said.

The bloodshed at Dior Bar & Lounge in Baton Rouge unfolded at about 1:36 a.m. CT, police said, less than an hour after 10 people were gunned down at a Southern California dance hall about 1,800 miles west.

Gunfire erupted inside a Louisiana night club early Sunday, wounding 12 people in yet another U.S. mass shooting, authorities said.

The bloodshed at Dior Bar & Lounge in Baton Rouge unfolded at about 1:36 a.m. CT, police said, less than an hour after 10 people were gunned down at a Southern California dance hall about 1,800 miles west.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 11:18 pm

Venue was hosting college party before gunfire injured 12

Quote:
Moments before gunfire rang out inside a Baton Rouge nightclub early Sunday, video shared to social media showed a festive atmosphere, with dozens of partygoers packed shoulder-to-shoulder on a dance floor as a DJ played.

A starkly different scene emerged moments later: A victim lay slumped on the club floor near empty bottles as someone nearby called for help, and another screamed.

The Saturday night event at the Dior Bar and Lounge off College Drive was billed as a Southern University and LSU-themed party as the two schools kicked off new semesters, according to an Eventbrite listing by the venue. The prior weekend, the club also hosted an event for returning college students billed as an "official SU and LSU move-in party."

But the night of revelry took a turn when what investigators believe was a single shooter opened fire around 1:30 a.m. Sunday, injuring 12, said a law enforcement source who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren't permitted to discuss aspects of the investigation publicly.

The party was not affiliated with Southern University, said Janene Tate, a spokesperson for the school. LSU spokesperson Abbi Rocha Laymoun said LSU had not sanctioned the event, either.

Dior's owners have not returned requests for comment.

Three police officers stationed in the parking lot of the small building off College Drive responded as soon as the shooting started, Baton Rouge Police Chief Murphy Paul said, rendering life-saving aid to the some of the wounded. Nine people went to local hospitals with non-life-threatening gunshot wounds while three were in critical but stable condition on Sunday.

The bloodshed marked at least the third mass shooting at a Baton Rouge night club in under four years.

BRPD officials have released few details about the investigation but confirmed at a news conference that it is believed to be the result of a targeted attack which left others wounded in the process.

“This was not just a random act of someone showing up and randomly shooting citizens of Baton Rouge,” BRPD’s Homicide Division commander, Lt. Bryan Ballard, told reporters on Sunday.

After shooting left 12 wounded, officials looking into 'security breach' at Baton Rouge club
Quote:
Monday morning, the Dior Bar and Lounge was still very much a crime scene, with investigators from the Alcohol Beverage Commission and Baton Rouge Police stopping by.

Several shoes abandoned in chaos were visible from the street.

Investigators are looking into how someone was able to get a gun into a bustling nightclub and kick off a confrontation that left 12 people shot.

Police said the shooter was able to get the weapon past security, raising questions about how that happened.

"That is a part of that investigation. We started having contact with our counterparts at ABC, whose regulatory agency involved in this. All of that will be revealed once that investigation has concluded," Deputy Chief Myron Daniels said. "They have also clarified some of the items they will be looking into will be the security breach that occurred from the private security that was working at the event."

Rashard Rusk is a promoter who says he's worked with Dior several times before. He was standing in line to get in when he heard the gunfire.

"There are rules for a reason and I feel like rules were broken," Rusk said. "I'm not going to blame the club owner, but that's where all fingers are going to."

"Regardless of the fact, the security that was supposed to ensure that nobody goes in with a weapon, they were hired by you, so all accountability comes back to the owners," he added.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman