New dating app for people with autism.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

23 Jan 2023, 1:57 am

Hello everyone, I just found out about a newish dating app called Hiki. It was launched in late 2019 and it's aim is to help Autistic people find friends and potential partners. The back story is quite interesting the founder's cousin expressed how he had been struggling to make connections with young women on main stream dating apps, so the founder got the idea to start his own dating app to address the lack of services around autism and dating. I just made a profile out of pure curiosity tonight and my first impressions are pretty good the app is well laid out and easy to use. I am surprised at how many girls are on this app as many autism related groups or events I have attended over the years have been 90% men if not more. I will do a follow up post to this one in about a month or so If I get the motivation. I will also post a link to the podcast episode where the founder of Hiki is being interviewed below: https://youtu.be/UZeUTSPOKSM

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 12:56 am

Hiki is know around these parts. The main issue with it is that there aren’t enough people on it, and the high male-to-female diagnosis ratio of Autusm makes an Autustic-exclusive dating app a lot less practical (at least for straight Autistics) than most of us would like to admit.

#palestinianlivesmatter

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2023, 11:09 pm

Zakatar wrote:
Hiki is know around these parts. The main issue with it is that there aren’t enough people on it, and the high male-to-female diagnosis ratio of Autusm makes an Autustic-exclusive dating app a lot less practical (at least for straight Autistics) than most of us would like to admit.

Not a problem if you're bi-curious like me, hehehe!! :lol: :P

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 12:17 am

BraveFig wrote:
Zakatar wrote:

I did specify that I was talking about straight folks like myself.

#palestinianlivesmatter

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jan 2023, 1:05 am

Zakatar wrote:
BraveFig wrote:
Zakatar wrote:

Ik, sorry if I came off as rude :( :oops:

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jan 2023, 12:33 pm

Zakatar wrote:
BraveFig wrote:
Zakatar wrote:

Now I'm curious, tho, if Hiki and other Autistic-exclusive dating apps don't work for you, what do you find works better for you, instead?? :o :D :)

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2023, 1:16 am

Zakatar wrote:

Yes I find that there is not a lot of girls on Hiki also. My match settings are for females 18-30 years old and are within 100 km or less, I saw about 50 or less profiles before I ran out of people. I have been on this app for the better part of a week now and I have not seen anyone new since my initial swipe through on day one. I am kinda disappointed that there is not enough people on this app and I am tired of dealing with normies on mainstream dating sites. Also I have noticed that about half of the female members on Hiki are lesbians so that does not bode well for straight guys like myself.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 12:00 pm

Canadian Freedom Lover wrote:
Zakatar wrote:
Hiki is known around these parts. The main issue with it is that there aren’t enough people on it, and the high male-to-female diagnosis ratio of Autusm makes an Autustic-exclusive dating app a lot less practical (at least for straight Autistics) than most of us would like to admit.

Yes I find that there is not a lot of girls on Hiki also. My match settings are for females 18-30 years old and are within 100 km or less, I saw about 50 or less profiles before I ran out of people. I have been on this app for the better part of a week now and I have not seen anyone new since my initial swipe through on day one. I am kinda disappointed that there is not enough people on this app and I am tired of dealing with normies on mainstream dating sites. Also I have noticed that about half of the female members on Hiki are lesbians so that does not bode well for straight guys like myself.

I have noticed that a significantly greater percent of Autistic AFAB individuals come out as lesbian, trans, or nonbinary/genderfluid than NTs, which I agree does leave a pretty thin dating pool for straight Autistic guys who don’t want to date NTs.

#palestinianlivesmatter

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2023, 2:18 am

Zakatar wrote:
Canadian Freedom Lover wrote:
Zakatar wrote:
Hiki is known around these parts. The main issue with it is that there aren’t enough people on it, and the high male-to-female diagnosis ratio of Autusm makes an Autustic-exclusive dating app a lot less practical (at least for straight Autistics) than most of us would like to admit.

I have noticed that a significantly greater percent of Autistic AFAB individuals come out as lesbian, trans, or nonbinary/genderfluid than NTs, which I agree does leave a pretty thin dating pool for straight Autistic guys who don’t want to date NTs.
I wonder why AFAB people specifically, tho?? In particular, this baffles me as an AMAB queer autistic person, 'cause like, I'm genuinely wondering if there's just something about being female that drives more AFAB people to come out as non-binary, queer and trans etc.? :? :|

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 3:20 pm

why do i get the feeling the users will be male-dominated, as hence with most users on dating apps

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 3:27 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
why do i get the feeling the users will be male-dominated, as hence with most users on dating apps

Given the male: female ratio is already 3:1 + factor general dominance of males on dating apps and it might look something like this

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 3:38 pm

And some of the women could be catfishers

SEK93
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2023, 4:44 pm

I've downloaded the app a couple of times (once pre-covid in 2020, the other last year; both times I was single). I have to admit, I like how functional it is and its simplicity compared to other dating apps. You probably won't find many choices unless you live close to or near a major city, but even from a virtual standpoint it can be a great way of meeting people.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 12:54 pm

I recently found myself being demonized on that app, as I inadvertently mentioned how I was forced to leave that platform in the general forum, many apologies for not posting that here as, I should have done.

D0rf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2023, 11:49 pm

its a nice idea, i check in on it every few months and have gotten a decent number of matches but nothing that's gone past a few voice chats. the forum section is absolutely demonic.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 7:25 am

D0rf wrote:
its a nice idea, i check in on it every few months and have gotten a decent number of matches but nothing that's gone past a few voice chats. the forum section is absolutely demonic.
''

I agree it has a significant purpose which, I will not take such away; however there's some good people as, though there can be some fickle people as well relating to your comment about the forum section.