What's the oldest memory that you have?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 3:22 pm

I read somewhere that ASD's have excellent long term memory. For me it is like that. I can recall past events very vividly. The oldest confirmed memory I have is from the age of 3 when I first saw my baby sister. It's a moment that I remember in detail. What is your experience with your memory? What is the oldest moment that you remember?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jan 2023, 3:25 pm

Standing in my baby cot.

The oldest datable memory: me and my brother got a bunk bed. I was 18 months.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 3:27 pm

My folks setting up something to dump balloons on me as I opened the door for my third birthday.

Getting my pant leg caught on the bumper of a truck. (All except, that one didn't actually happen) :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 5:15 pm

I can't date many of my early memories so I'm not sure which came first, or what age.
We moved from our house when I was 4 and I only have a couple of very vague memories from living there.
I have no memory of my bedroom or the interior of the house itself.

I remember:

Climbing on the roof of my granddad's workshop which was behind the house
I was unsupervised but that was normal back then

Coming home from a Santa Claus parade and being in bed for a nap
I can kind of picture my window (no way to verify the bedroom layout)

Thinking that I was made differently from other kids but not knowing how
This was my autistic awareness

Being in a crib or cot and trying to do telekinesis to get a stuffed penguin
It was across the room and I was certain I could make it move

Princess Viola
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2023, 6:33 pm

My oldest memories are all from when I was four years old.

The oldest memory that I can give a rough timeframe specifically for is seeing the movie Thomas and the Magic Railroad in theatres with my mom and dad and being afraid of the villain Diesel 10 and asking my dad to take me to the bathroom nearly every time he showed up because of how scared I was of him. (I say rough timeframe because I don't remember when exactly I saw the movie, but the movie came out on 25 July 2000 and was released onto home video on 31 October 2000, so I most likely saw it during either the end of July or in August 2000).

A memory that might be older was me getting my Nintendo 64 and Super Mario 64 that year, but I genuinely cannot remember if I got that for my 4th birthday in June or for Christmas that year. I just remember getting it and my dad hooking it up to the TV and playing it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 7:07 pm

I read somewhere that Aspies are less likely to remember their childhood. But anyway, I think my earliest memory was probably around age 2-3. I remember my crib and where it was placed in my bedroom, and I have one or two memories of being pushed in a stroller, and I can even remember sitting in a high chair. But although I used a pacifier a lot up until the age of 3 I don't remember having a pacifier at all.

The memories I have of babyhood are very vague and hazy though. The memories get more vivid as I got older.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 7:09 pm

i dont have many memories of childhood at all really

my earliest vivid memories were around 10 years old

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 7:41 pm

I remember seeing our house getting built.
Being in a stroller at the Perth Royal Show and screaming when I was offered fairy floss (cotton candy) because I was scared of it.
Having a red potty.
Going out to the kitchen very early in the morning because I heard my parents talking and being told to go back to bed.

These are memories from when I was three. I also remember having my fourth birthday in the new house.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 7:48 pm

between 8 months and 18 months old of my oldest brother strangling me in my crib . almost daily not sure if i was passing out or not. Then distinct memory of how, as this persisted with no parental intervention. My developing a cinching my neck muscles down as hard as , my body would allow to protect my trachea. But at the time had no
concept of these things other then if i pulled my chin down into my neck area was able to breath slightly.
Did recall it being a successful technique to use. But not in those words. Only that I could breathe okay afterwards.
And became very quiet With eyes closed. Until the threat upon my breathing subsided.think maybe parents might have told him to go play with me?. Next immediate memory was of a butterfly mobile above the crib. which I loved.
Have many memories including having seen the TV news report a images of John F Kennedy being Assassinated.
And me asking if our family knew him or was a relative. Because everyone in front of the TV seemed very shocked.
So i left the room , not understanding the significance of what was on TV. And no one answered me. :?:

where ever you go ,there you are

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 11:02 pm

I think the oldest one is of my father sitting on a couch, happily holding me, and then suddenly putting me aside and rushing from the room. He probably heard a telephone. The next is of crawling off a blanket, and encountering dew on the grass, but that memory had been reinforced by seeing it in a home movie. I don't think I was late to walk.

jogashill
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 4:49 am

i have many memories of the place where my family lived and we moved from there when i was five - the bedroom window, looking out at the forest and watching deer run across a field; the fruit trees; the red gate at the end of our very long driveway; my sister getting stung by a bee that was floating in the dog's waterbowl; running away from my mom along a highway sidewalk because she told me to wait for her while stuffed in a hot coat in a bathroom in a line of strangers while she helped my sister... (ha!)

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 5:17 am

Jakki wrote:
between 8 months and 18 months old of my oldest brother strangling me in my crib . almost daily not sure if i was passing out or not. Then distinct memory of how, as this persisted with no parental intervention. My developing a cinching my neck muscles down as hard as , my body would allow to protect my trachea. But at the time had no
concept of these things other then if i pulled my chin down into my neck area was able to breath slightly.
Did recall it being a successful technique to use. But not in those words. Only that I could breathe okay afterwards.
And became very quiet With eyes closed. Until the threat upon my breathing subsided.think maybe parents might have told him to go play with me?. Next immediate memory was of a butterfly mobile above the crib. which I loved.
Have many memories including having seen the TV news report a images of John F Kennedy being Assassinated.
And me asking if our family knew him or was a relative. Because everyone in front of the TV seemed very shocked.
So i left the room , not understanding the significance of what was on TV. And no one answered me. :?:

That's a tough memory. My mother recounts a similar story about finding my toddler cousin poking the eyes of my baby sister. Letting toddlers arround babies unsupervised is a bad idea. My sister's vision turned out great for the record.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 9:06 am

as a small infant in my crib woke up screaming, I had been dreaming something had hold of me and was dragging me away, turns out I had grasped my own ear and was pulling on it as hard as I could as I dreamed. I remember being amazed and looking at my hand, flexing the fingers open and closed. This was long before I could sit up or walk or talk.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 10:51 am

Thank you Autisticelders , your post triggered my memory of very early life of looking at my hand to and wondering how they were meant to be used ? opening and closing them , then wondering how those big people got the fingers
to work to grab or get things . Not understanding their possiblities . Coordination on somedays still seems to stymie
me still . :)

where ever you go ,there you are

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 11:53 am

An elephant's trunk has about 100,000 muscles and no bones. It takes over a year to learn to use it. Young elephants lie down with their head in a pond to drink water.

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2023, 3:55 pm

Me waking up in a hospital in a large room, feeling horrible. My mother comes to visit me and leaves again soon. I guess I was like 3-4 years old, and it was after I got my tonsils removed. May be part of the reasons why I avoided doctors like the plague for most of my life.