What's the oldest memory that you have?

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2023, 3:55 pm

Me waking up in a hospital in a large room, feeling horrible. My mother comes to visit me and leaves again soon. I guess I was like 3-4 years old, and it was after I got my tonsils removed. May be part of the reasons why I avoided doctors like the plague for most of my life.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 4:03 pm

I remember dreaming about a burglar coming into my bedroom wearing black and white stripes like a cartoon burglar, with a big dollar sign in it. Or maybe the dollar sign was on his money bag which had a drawstring. He was creeping with his finger to his mouth like “shhhh … “

I think he was a cartoon too but he was life size.

I might have been 3 or 4.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 5:08 pm

Being in the hospital to have an operation on a hernia in my bellybutton area. I was not yet 3 years old.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 11:20 pm

Jakki wrote:
Thank you Autisticelders , your post triggered my memory of very early life of looking at my hand to and wondering how they were meant to be used ? opening and closing them , then wondering how those big people got the fingers
to work to grab or get things . Not understanding their possiblities . Coordination on somedays still seems to stymie
me still . :)
I too stared at my hands and moved my fingers. My mum has commented that I used to do this a lot, especially while in a pram.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 2:34 am

going to visit mother and newborn brother, just before two yo

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 7:07 am

Just a faint image of my crib at my grandparents' apartment. In that image I am looking though the doorway of the wall that was torn down to merge two rooms to make a large living room, that was done before I turned 3.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 7:14 am

A couple of memories from when I was 2-3ish.

My mum had a vegetable shop. I can remember sitting in the window with the potatoes being looked at by people passing.

There was a little room out the back where I can remember being inside a cupboard (the first of many childhood cupboard memories). By choice I should add. I liked getting in cupboards. Still do.

There was also a toilet in the back with a high shelf that had a bottle of methylated spirit on it - I was fascinated by the purple colour of it and can remember looking up in awe at it.

There are a couple of things I seem to remember from earlier but I can't be sure if they're true memories or photos I've seen.

Vazra
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2023, 10:43 am

I have a lot of vague memories from babyhood but they are almost like dreams at this point.

I guess the one I remember the most and in great detail, I was probably 3 or 4. We had a porch swing on the front of our little box out in the middle of no where. (I spent so much time on that thing.) I loved for my dad to swing me.

He was holding me and swinging. He suddenly stood up and held me up in the air staring at me. He put me down on the porch concrete and went in. It was the last intimate moment with my father of my childhood. He never hugged or held me again and the persistent "there's something wrong with him" started.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 2:55 pm

I can't single out any one of my early childhood memories as being the very oldest.

One of my earliest memories is of a day on which my father told me, repeatedly, "You are four years old." I remember, at that point, knowing the meanings of the words "You," "are," and "four," but not the meanings of the words "years" and "old." (I was later told that I had learned to talk, at all, only at around age 4. I have no memories of a time before I learned to talk.)

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 9:49 pm

I remember my childhood home so good, I remember details of the house, I remember the living room, the kitchen, backyard,my parents bedroom, my bedroom, I shared a room with my sister then later she moved out, there were 3 rooms upstairs, the third room was a family room upstairs, later it became my older sister bedroom. I used to have a playroom in my bedroom, I remember playing with my dolls, easy bake oven. I remember my mom told me that in 1970 or 71, there were earthquake, I was a baby in my crib, my parents were scared for me, they checked in on me, I was sleeping in my crib, does that count? I remember two things when I was 3 years old, I could not walk cuz of my Cerebral Palsy, I learned to walk when I was 3 years old, I was at my preschool, a disabled school, down the street where I lived, I remember braces on my legs, I would not give up, I was fighting to walk at 3 years old. I remember alot of things, like when I first broke my elbow, I think I was 4, I was at school riding my tricycle, I went to far , I fell down & broke my elbow, I broke the same elbow two more times 8O :roll: :cry: I remember I was 3, I saw one of my dogs got killed right in front of me, the next door neighbor dog killed him, he was a little dog, his name was Perry. I remember things soooo good like they were on VCR, I don’t remember everything. It was my second home, I don’t remember the first house, all I remember that it was on Elm Street, we moved when I was a baby, I didn’t like my baby pictures, I had so much hair, I looked like a boy :( My second house was my fave house, it was very big, I so loved that house with all the trees in my neighborhood, I was walking distance to the Rose Bowl. I needed this to go down memory lane, I was having a very very hard time.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 10:36 pm

I have a lot of really, really early memories. I have quite a few that "stick out" to me and that I think about occasionally.

The earliest I can recall is of me being bathed in the sink by my parents when I was around probably 6 months(?) old (whenever babies can start to sit up properly), and being mad because I didn't want to get out of the bath.

Another early memory is of when we went to a zoo, and I was 2 or almost 2. I remember being in a stroller and wearing overalls (I remember those things because I hated being in the stroller and I liked the outfit that I had on). I was having sensory overload over something and I think had a meltdown at some point.

There's also a memory from when I was around 3 of my dad trying to teach me to count, and of us playing with flashcards meant for small kids. I remember him being frustrated because I kept forgetting how to count past 7 and kept forgetting the order of numbers (now we know that I have dyscalculia).

I also remember being in the nursery at church around 3 and playing with Lincoln Logs with another boy (we just built things next to each other and shared pieces) on multiple occasions. I also remember getting in trouble there a lot for not sitting still and not paying attention at all.

There's also a memory that I have of being at a daycare at some indiscriminate age, and getting heavily teased by other kids for the first time and wanting to leave the whole time that I was there.

I also remember my 3rd and 4th birthdays, and not being able to grasp exactly how old I was and being corrected multiple times by my family members.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 10:39 pm

Can't remember much except a lad throwing a brick at me, the scar I've still got on my head today. Also knocking my front tooth out whilst riding my bike with a rope attached to the back of it for someone else to chase. Really clever that.. :roll: .

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2023, 11:29 pm

When I was 7 years old, my younger brother, pushed me off the back of a chair, and I fell on a heating grate. I have 15 stitches on the back of my head to prove it!

jared11235
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2023, 12:31 am

I have a memory from when I was 2 or maybe 3 years old. I know I was this young because in the memory I was still in diapers and I think I was wearing a yellow shirt. We were visiting a friend of my parents who lived in a split level home. This was probably the first time I had ever seen a house with so many stairs. I think that the split level design of the house is why I still remember it. To my little brain it didn't make any sense why the house had so many levels and stairs but at the time it seemed really neat. I remember they had a game room with arcade and pinball machines and an air hockey table but I was not allowed to touch any of that. I remember that there was a sad little pile of toys that I was allowed to play with. I have other memories from when I was 3 years old also but I think that this is my oldest memory.

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:01 am

I was about 2-3 years old, endlessly spinning in circles to a record my Mum had put on. That's how I'd used to dance to it.

In particular, I'd be staring at the rug on the floor, admiring how the pattern would spin with me, before getting too dizzy and falling over.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 1:29 pm

My earliest memory was when I was 18 months old and I was walking up and down the stairs at someone's house and I was poking my head between the spindles of the railing.