7 Dead in another California mass shooting

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 10:46 pm

7 Dead, 1 Injured in Half Moon Bay Mass Shooting; Suspect in Custody

Quote:
Seven people were killed in a mass shooting that spanned two separate scenes in Half Moon Bay Monday afternoon, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.

Four victims were found dead at about 2:22 p.m. along the 12700 block of Cabrillo Highway, the sheriff's office said. Another victim was transported to Stanford Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.

Shortly after that discovery, three more victims were found dead at a separate scene in the area, according to the sheriff's office.

The suspect, 67-year-old Half Moon Bay resident Zhao Chunli, was taken into custody at about 4:40 p.m. after he was found in his vehicle in the parking lot of the sheriff's office substation in Half Moon Bay, the sheriff's office said. He was taken into custody without incident and a semi-automatic handgun was found in his car.

Authorities believe Chunli acted alone. A motive for the shootings is under investigation.

The victims are Chinese farmworkers, Half Moon Bay Councilmember Debbie Ruddock said.

Half Moon Bay is a coastal city located 25 miles south of San Francisco.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 9:04 pm

Suspect in shootings at Half Moon Bay farms was employee

Quote:
An agricultural worker killed seven people in back-to-back shootings at two mushroom farms that had employed him in Northern California and the massacre is believed to be a “workplace violence incident,” officials said Tuesday as the state mourned its third mass killing in eight days.

Officers arrested 66-year-old Chunli Zhao on Monday after they found him in his car in the parking lot of a sheriff’s substation, San Mateo County Sheriff Christina Corpus said.

Authorities believe Zhao acted alone when he entered a mushroom farm in Half Moon Bay, California, and opened fire, killing four and leaving another seriously wounded. He then drove to another nearby farm where he had previously worked, and killed another three people, said Eamonn Allen, a spokesman with the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office.

No further details about Zhao’s motivation or the names of the people he allegedly killed had been released as of Tuesday evening. He was booked on suspicion of seven counts of murder and one count of attempted murder, jail records showed, and was being held without bail.

At an earlier news conference, Allen declined to answer questions about whether Zhao had any previous criminal history, saying, “there were no specific indicators that would have led us to believe he was capable of something like this.”

“All of the evidence we have right now points to a workplace violence incident,” Allen said. The dead were five men and two women. The eighth victim, a man, remained in the hospital. Some were Asian and others were Hispanic, and some were migrant workers.

It would not have been Zhao’s first fit of workplace rage, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. In 2013 Zhao was accused of threatening to split a coworker’s head open with a knife and separately tried to suffocate the man with a pillow, the Chronicle reported, based on court documents.

The two were roommates and worked at a restaurant at the time, and the man, identified as Jingjiu Wang, filed a temporary restraining order against Zhao that was granted but is no longer in effect. Wang could not be immediately reached.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman