Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 2:46 pm

BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
About a decade. :oops:

I've heard good things about Reaper, and it's free. If I was starting over again I'd probably have picked Reaper.

Hey, nothing wrong with switching if the new DAW works better for you!! :o :D As for me, I drifted away from music for many years of my life, and didn't seriously get back into it until my mom introduced me to magix music maker in late 2018 which, while basic, definitely did the job of getting me back into music big time, as at that point, I hadn't seriously dabbled in any music software since 2011, back when I was 12 years old. :) :oops:

I made an industrial album when I was in high school, but then got into making punk.
I burned out on making music in my 20s though and only got back into it seriously as I started reorganizing my life a few years back.
What burned you out, tho?? And how'd reorganizing your life help you get into music again?? :o Admittedly, my own interests drifted away from making music during my adolescence, but at least listening to music has always stayed close to me, tho!! :D :)

Trying to manage becoming an independent adult burned me out.
Reorganizing allowed me to have a more realistic balance of things.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 2:59 pm

BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:
I do music.

Violin and piano as a kid. Been playing drums for 25 years, practicing vocals for most of my life. Self-learning guitar and bass. Picked up a viola for fun since I knew violin.

Music-making setup consists of:

Alesis electronic drum kit
Akai Professional MPK Mini keyboard
Akai Professional MPD 218 midi pad
Korg Kaossilator synthesizer / loop station
Korg Kaos Pad sampling station
Behringer 4 channel USB audio interface / mixer
MixCraft Pro 9 with Melodyne
Couple of mics for vocals
Cheap Ibanez guitar and bass

Been busy with school till recently, got a dozen or so half written songs and half formed compositions. Hoping to start back in with music making again now that I'm done with school.

What models of guitar and bass? Ibanez has really good stuff, even at lower price points.
As for me, I have a Fender Stratocaster, but I'd love to learn more about what other people use, too!! ! :o :D :)

The guitar is a 6 string GRGA120, gloss black with white trim. Bass is a GSR200 4 string, matte black weathered finish. Pretty happy with both.

Last edited by uncommondenominator on 24 Jan 2023, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2023, 3:07 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
About a decade. :oops:

I've heard good things about Reaper, and it's free. If I was starting over again I'd probably have picked Reaper.

Hey, nothing wrong with switching if the new DAW works better for you!! :o :D As for me, I drifted away from music for many years of my life, and didn't seriously get back into it until my mom introduced me to magix music maker in late 2018 which, while basic, definitely did the job of getting me back into music big time, as at that point, I hadn't seriously dabbled in any music software since 2011, back when I was 12 years old. :) :oops:

I made an industrial album when I was in high school, but then got into making punk.
I burned out on making music in my 20s though and only got back into it seriously as I started reorganizing my life a few years back.
What burned you out, tho?? And how'd reorganizing your life help you get into music again?? :o Admittedly, my own interests drifted away from making music during my adolescence, but at least listening to music has always stayed close to me, tho!! :D :)

Trying to manage becoming an independent adult burned me out.
Reorganizing allowed me to have a more realistic balance of things.
That's understandable, becoming an independent adult has admittedly been pretty hard for me, too, which is probably why I've only just started to become independent, last year. :oops:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 3:20 pm

The guitar is a 6 string GSR200, gloss black with white trim. Bass is a GRGA120 4 string, matte black weathered finish. Pretty happy with both.

I have a GSR, it's my first bass and I've had it more than a decade. My dad has a slightly newer one, same product code but his has a preamp and mine doesn't.

The GRGA/RGAs are pretty nice. I never really got along with my RG7321 because of how the neck feels, but I didn't mind playing my brother's RG321 when he had it.

My main guitars are an SZ520 and a ORM-1 that I've put an EMG81 in. It's like if a Jaguar and an SG had a baby, and the baby is in it's teenage Slayer phase.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 3:21 pm

BraveFig wrote:
That's understandable, becoming an independent adult has admittedly been pretty hard for me, too, which is probably why I've only just started to become independent, last year. :oops:

It's hard, especially with executive function impairments.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 6:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I have a GSR, it's my first bass and I've had it more than a decade. My dad has a slightly newer one, same product code but his has a preamp and mine doesn't.

The GRGA/RGAs are pretty nice. I never really got along with my RG7321 because of how the neck feels, but I didn't mind playing my brother's RG321 when he had it.

My main guitars are an SZ520 and a ORM-1 that I've put an EMG81 in. It's like if a Jaguar and an SG had a baby, and the baby is in it's teenage Slayer phase.

Since they were my first guitars, I didn't want to spend a ton on them, but I also didn't want to get a POS either. Ibanez had a nice balance of cost vs quality. Someday I may try to grab a 300 or 400 series, if I get that far. I do not consider myself a guitarist, but I like to pluck at them, and they're handy noise makers for my loop stations to slap out a bass line or simple melody.

I lol'd at your baby teenage slayer phase comment :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 7:02 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Since they were my first guitars, I didn't want to spend a ton on them, but I also didn't want to get a POS either. Ibanez had a nice balance of cost vs quality. Someday I may try to grab a 300 or 400 series, if I get that far. I do not consider myself a guitarist, but I like to pluck at them, and they're handy noise makers for my loop stations to slap out a bass line or simple melody.

I lol'd at your baby teenage slayer phase comment :lol:

I got the 300 and 500 used.

Those EMGs have a somewhat distinctive sound, at least to the extent that pickups make a difference (not much, at least with even a little bit of distortion). A lot of thrash bands have used them at some point.

It was hard to put together exactly the guitar I wanted because most short-scales are aimed more at surf rock or indie rock, or t3h Kurdtz fans. I like Cobain, but I hate the necks he liked. If the radius is too small my stubby fingers struggle to arrange themselves.

Ironically, I'm only a very moderate Omar Rodriguez Lopez fan, but his signature guitar nailed almost everything I wanted in a guitar. I really didn't need to swap the pickup, all except for making it closer to what I'd have made.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 5:24 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Those EMGs have a somewhat distinctive sound, at least to the extent that pickups make a difference (not much, at least with even a little bit of distortion). A lot of thrash bands have used them at some point.

It was hard to put together exactly the guitar I wanted because most short-scales are aimed more at surf rock or indie rock, or t3h Kurdtz fans. I like Cobain, but I hate the necks he liked. If the radius is too small my stubby fingers struggle to arrange themselves.

Ironically, I'm only a very moderate Omar Rodriguez Lopez fan, but his signature guitar nailed almost everything I wanted in a guitar. I really didn't need to swap the pickup, all except for making it closer to what I'd have made.

Funny how that happens, huh? "Oh, you're a fan of so-and-so?" "Not really, he and I merely have similar preferences, apparently."

When it comes to cars or computers, I know fairly well what needs to be altered to make changes in their behavior. With guitars, not so much. So I tend to buy a super cheap thing, then buy a less cheap thing down the line, and see the difference. I like building things to preference, when I know enough to have a preference. Someday I hope to piece together a nice bass.

Also, did I see someone mention "punk"? I love punk.

@ BraveFig

Who do you like when it comes to electronic music?

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jan 2023, 12:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Funny how that happens, huh? "Oh, you're a fan of so-and-so?" "Not really, he and I merely have similar preferences, apparently."

When it comes to cars or computers, I know fairly well what needs to be altered to make changes in their behavior. With guitars, not so much. So I tend to buy a super cheap thing, then buy a less cheap thing down the line, and see the difference. I like building things to preference, when I know enough to have a preference. Someday I hope to piece together a nice bass.

@ BraveFig

Who do you like when it comes to electronic music?
Oh, hey, uncommon denominator!! :o :D :) It varies, but some of the first stuff I discovered were old British genres from the 90's like Rave, Trip Hop and Big Beat. Then I got into Trance and Drum n' Bass, my favorite Drum n' Bass subgenre being liquid, by far. And then, more recently, I got into Madeon and Porter Robinson, but my favorite post-pandemic subgenres are Lo-fi House and Deep house!! ^v^ ^u^

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 1:14 am

BraveFig wrote:
Oh, hey, uncommon denominator!! :o :D :) It varies, but some of the first stuff I discovered were old British genres from the 90's like Rave, Trip Hop and Big Beat. Then I got into Trance and Drum n' Bass, my favorite Drum n' Bass subgenre being liquid, by far. And then, more recently, I got into Madeon and Porter Robinson, but my favorite post-pandemic subgenres are Lo-fi House and Deep house!! ^v^ ^u^

Good stuff. Ever listen to LoFi Girl on youtube? I was legit sad when they took her channel down, but equally happy when they reinstated her stream.

I grew up on 80s synthwave (among other things), and later got into all the various drum&bass, jungle beats, trip-hop, trance, electronica, edm and such, leading up to todays dubstep and so on. Orbital was really cool in the 90's, as was Daft Punk, and these days I like stuff by Glitch Mob, Pendulum, and DeadMau5.

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2023, 1:30 pm

BraveFig wrote:

Good stuff. Ever listen to LoFi Girl on youtube? I was legit sad when they took her channel down, but equally happy when they reinstated her stream.

I grew up on 80s synthwave (among other things), and later got into all the various drum&bass, jungle beats, trip-hop, trance, electronica, edm and such, leading up to todays dubstep and so on. Orbital was really cool in the 90's, as was Daft Punk, and these days I like stuff by Glitch Mob, Pendulum, and DeadMau5.
Yeah, I've heard LoFi Girl a few times on Youtube .I'm really glad they put her channel back up!! Speaking of Dubstep, I thought that one Skrillex album "Scary monsters and nice Sprites," was pretty cool!! :o :D :) Also, I never got what happened with Daft Punk, like, why did they never put out a follow-up album to "random access memories?" :? :|

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 10:38 pm

My brother used to make dubstep, before he moved to Cambodia.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 10:43 pm

I probably did. 8)

It took me awhile to figure out what I like. It helps to play a lot of guitars and pay attention to what feels nice. It's just a pain when barely no one shares your preferences. :lol:

BraveFig wrote:
As for me, I have a Fender Stratocaster, but I'd love to learn more about what other people use, too!! ! :o :D :)

Somehow I overlooked this, but I bet it plays nice. I've heard good things about CIJ, MIM and MIA Fenders pretty consistently. I've only ever owned a Squier Jagmaster and it was okay, but not well suited for me.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 10:15 pm

BraveFig wrote:
Yeah, I've heard LoFi Girl a few times on Youtube .I'm really glad they put her channel back up!! Speaking of Dubstep, I thought that one Skrillex album "Scary monsters and nice Sprites," was pretty cool!! :o :D :) Also, I never got what happened with Daft Punk, like, why did they never put out a follow-up album to "random access memories?" :? :|

Skrillex is hit-or-miss for me. Some songs are meh, other songs I can't get enough of. Of the top of my head I know I've always liked listening to Bangarang.

As for Daft Punk, probably a few things at play. They've been around since 1993, and by 2013 they were likely pretty worn out from things. They also seemed more into the tour scene than in doing albums, which is fine - we still get epic music, and live recordings in place of studio albums. There's also the fact that in the 90s what they did was rare AF, in the 00s EDM was more common, but they were still unique among a buncha new bands, but now there's hordes of EDM artists, EDM isn't rare anymore, and they're 25 years older than when they started.

Wish they did more, but glad for what we've got.

funeralxempire wrote:
It's just a pain when barely no one shares your preferences. :lol:

TRUTH.

What kinda punk you like? I cut my teeth on UK punk and New Wave, stuff like Siouxsie and the Banshees, Greatest Cockney Ripoffs, and X-Ray Specs, and just kept adding from there. The Vandals, Sex Pistols, Black Flag, New Order, early stuff by The Offspring, Iggy Pop, Dropkick Murhpy, Snot, Dead Kennedys, Transplants, etc etc - ended up getting into Ska in the process.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2023, 10:33 pm

I wouldn't call myself a musician, but I've been trying to learn piano on and off for some time now. I've recorded myself playing and uploaded videos of my progress to my YouTube channel.

I discovered flat.io (kind of like MuseScore) because I wanted to practice reading music and hear what sheet music sounded like, but I discovered I could make my own music on the computer this way.

I've uploaded some of these to SoundCloud. I've been told my music sounds like something from an old SNES RPG.

I'm very interested in learning how to use FL Studio, I downloaded a trial version but it looks so complicated I'm not sure where to start. I have zero experience with using a DAW.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 1:36 pm

What kinda punk you like? I cut my teeth on UK punk and New Wave, stuff like Siouxsie and the Banshees, Greatest Cockney Ripoffs, and X-Ray Specs, and just kept adding from there. The Vandals, Sex Pistols, Black Flag, New Order, early stuff by The Offspring, Iggy Pop, Dropkick Murhpy, Snot, Dead Kennedys, Transplants, etc etc - ended up getting into Ska in the process.

I like stuff like Discharge; I like stuff like DRI, Uncle Slam, etc; I like stuff like Mohinder, Heroin, The Swing Kids, etc; I like stuff like Saetia, Orchid, Love Lost But Not Forgotten, etc; I like bands like Spazz, Charles Bronson, Chulo I really like Agathocles, Archagathus, Insect Warfare, Pig Destroyer, Terrorizer, Brutal Truth, etc.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う